GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 11:30   #76
dango
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyrcks9901 View Post
Well, I'm not bankrupt...
Shhhhhhhhhh..............! Don't tell anybody....SHhhhhhh...!
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:31   #77
Z71bill
Senior Member
 
Z71bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,847
If you were not paying attention at the last - "Raise the national debt limit fiasco" you will get a second chance to see reality first hand in January.

If the government can't borrow money - no one gets their ENTITLEMENT checks.

No social security, no medicare, no GI benefits, no food stamps, no unemployment payments.

At some point our debt will hit the point where even if they raise the debt limit no one will loan us money.

I say it is when the interest payments to service the debt = 30% of total tax revenue.

Current system that is at $750 billion in interest - we now pay about $250 billion - but interest rates are at historic lows.

At the historical average of 5% our interest payments next year on current debt would be $800+ billion.

We are already heading in the danger zone of insolvency -

The FED may be able to keep interest rates low for a few more years - but not forever -

I think we still have time - if someone in DC had a few ounces of courage - but they don't.
Z71bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:37   #78
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,832
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
Nobody came over one day when I was getting out of High School and gave me my job?
Hmmmmmmmm.
Sucks to be you guys. I never really did anything. Screwed around in HS. Never went to a university. Never got a job. Just kind of hung out and played video games and drank. Then one day out of the blue, a company offered me a job a and pretty decent money. Something about being an engineer for pacemakers. Dont really know what its about. They just started sending me checks and I didnt even have to show to work.
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:38   #79
Bensmiata
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 259
I sense a lot of resentment from folks in this thread that will they had the same opportunities that service members do since they can look back on their lives and go "I really shouldn't have ****ed off and dicked around maybe then I would have been better off like the Joe who put in his time and hard work while risking his life".

Thanks American taxpayer, you have made me what I am today and I will continue to reap the benefits for the rest of my life.
Bensmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:42   #80
dango
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensmiata View Post
I sense a lot of resentment from folks in this thread that will they had the same opportunities that service members do since they can look back on their lives and go "I really shouldn't have ****ed off and dicked around maybe then I would have been better off like the Joe who put in his time and hard work while risking his life".

Thanks American taxpayer, you have made me what I am today and I will continue to reap the benefits for the rest of my life.
Bravo.......I did it , my parents did it , we all payed and payed
and I'm not crying the blues. Like gravity , it just was and is
so's cry on........!
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:43   #81
Averageman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
Thats when I started my career path. I got hired 5 years later, I did not dick around like most 18-22 year old folks do. I knew what I wanted to do.
By the time I was 22, I was a Tank Commander in Germany in 1984.
I didnt figure that I was "dicking around" either.
I knew I was waisting my time in HS, knew I wanted to be a career Soldier and since my Mother wouldn't sign for me to join at 17, I walked to the recruiters office with my S.S. Card and Birth Certificate on my 18th Birthday and was in my Basic Training reception Center the next day.
I dont ask for anyone to give me anything, I work and pay my taxes. The benefits I earned in the Military were compensation for a dirty crappy job that most people couldn't or wouldn't do.
Those benefits a whittled at a little at a time by the very folks who slept safe in their beds..
You know what thats all good, screw them long enough and hard enough and you wont have anyone to serve in the Military.
Averageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:46   #82
G29Reload
Tread Lightly
 
G29Reload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimfireMan View Post
You need to look up the definition of an entitlement because you are wrong.
YOu know what I mean. I'm far from wrong.

I probably should have phrased it better. Some people think they're entitled to something they're not.

Vets are entitled. Retirees who paid in are entitled.

Welfare queens are not entitled, even though they think they are.
__________________
Avenge me...AVENGE ME!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_z2d4IxltHJ...on%26Fence.png
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:49   #83
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,832
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensmiata View Post
I sense a lot of resentment from folks in this thread
I believe that you made a contract and it should be honored.

That said, many people make contracts and then get screwed when people/companies go bankrupt. Go look up the tons of bankruptcy cases filed everyday and look how creditors get the shaft even thought there was a valid contract in force.

What we are concerned about is we see the bankruptcy coming. We are doing what Greece has done. We are saying, lets change how we do business before we cant change without bankrupting the country.

Go back in history (and even today) and look what happens to country that get in this mess. Then google the term "hyperinflation". Find a list of countries that have experienced hyperinflation and tell us one that it has turned out good for.

What is the saying the LEO on here use?? You are either part of the solution or you are the problem?
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:54   #84
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,832
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
[B]BThe benefits I earned in the Military were compensation for a dirty crappy job that most people couldn't or wouldn't do.
Outside of a few very specialized jobs in military, its not a job that most "can't" do. I just got back from road trip with my Swiss friend. You realize ALL MEN until 34 (unless they are conscientious objectors or are medically not capable) are soldiers in Swiss army until 34? So it is quite clear being a solider is something most CAN do.

You statement about wont do, is accurate, but statement about cannot do the job is not accurate.
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:58   #85
bmoore
Senior Member
 
bmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Under a regime.
Posts: 4,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
The benefits I earned in the Military were compensation for a dirty crappy job that most people couldn't or wouldn't do.
Those benefits a whittled at a little at a time by the very folks who slept safe in their beds..
You know what thats all good, screw them long enough and hard enough and you wont have anyone to serve in the Military.
You are exactly correct. If you keep taking pay and benefits away the services will decline. People do not give a rats ass if it saves them 40 bucks a year, that's sad. You served and kept people safe, I appreciate it and have no problem paying taxes for your pay and benefits. I have saved peoples lives that would literally vote away my position if it saved them their 40 dollar annual benefit fee. People will now reply with "get off your high horse" and all the other BS, but facts are facts.
__________________
RIP Okie
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:06   #86
frizz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,670
I suppose the pay for servicemembers is an entitlement program, too. Hey, it IS taking from one group and giving it to another...
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:07   #87
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 26,676
Blog Entries: 1


We do render a service.'08
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:18   #88
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Those of you thinking you are going it make it to the end of your lives on your investments are in for a shock. Unless you die young or are in the 1% you might make it until you develop health problems. Then everything you have goes to health care and you die broke.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:21   #89
nursetim
Senior Member
 
nursetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: liberalville N. M.
Posts: 6,619
Wow, the stupid is strong in this thread. Entitlement is expecting money or services not earned in any way shape or form. The terms of a contract are not entitlement per say. You are entitled to be compensated according to the terms of the contract.

Shelly/Maria/lachesha did not enter into a contract with the government. They did not agree to pump out kids like a pez dispenser in exchange for free medical care, food, shelter, transportation, etc. pumping out puppies is not a service you our country, sorry it isn't.

Men and women raise their right hand and swear to defend our nation AND sign a contract BTW. They are entitled to have the terms of the contract honored. If you think the terms are unfair, raise your hand and join up. Put your life on the line and then tell me you are being over compensated. Have someone shoot at you with real bullets and tell me you are being overcompensated. Have your buddy's face explode in a pink mist and his brain fly up your nose, then tell me you are being overcompensated. All gave some, some gave all.

What have the entitlement crowd done for America? Oh yeah, made it weaker, that's right, what a wonderful service.

Is SSI an entitlement program? To a degree, yes it is. To those that have paid into it for decades, no it is not. For them it is still a Ponzi scheme. But we made the commitment.
For the leaches that have paid naught into the kitty and then expect SSI disability, you bet it is. Even people in wheel chairs fail to meet my criteria for disability. I have seen too many people without legs be productive, so no.

I had an Adam Henry come into my office sucking around for SSI disability because he was depressed about being unemployed, despite working occasionally off the books. I came up with an awesome treatment plan for this jackwagon, and he blows it off, bucket of monkey jizz.

Please let me know how I can get on a review panel for SSI. I could save the nation a boat load of money.
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. - I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:22   #90
Averageman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Outside of a few very specialized jobs in military, its not a job that most "can't" do. I just got back from road trip with my Swiss friend. You realize ALL MEN until 34 (unless they are conscientious objectors or are medically not capable) are soldiers in Swiss army until 34? So it is quite clear being a solider is something most CAN do.

You statement about wont do, is accurate, but statement about cannot do the job is not accurate.
You do realise how many People actually qualify to be in the Military as we currently recruit?
About one in twenty in the greater Los Angeles area when I was a recruiter actually qualified to be tested with the ASVAB.
From there you took those scores and went to Medical which eliminated another 10-15%. Then they were given a background check and the legal end of the game was played out and you would lose another 3-5% who would lie to get that far.
I would guess now that the pool of potential recruits is about 10% of the American Population.
Using the Swiss draft as an example just doesn't work here in the U.S. Even if you would take in everyone it would burden the system rather than make it better.
With 30% of us obese, that alone would break the current system beyond repair.
Averageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:25   #91
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,832
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
People do not give a rats ass if it saves them 40 bucks a year, that's sad.
Wat you dont get is it is NOT $40 a year. It is an EXTRA $40 here, an EXTRA $100 there, on on on.

I will would make you this deal.

We go to a flat tax. everyone pays the same amount and then everyone has to send an extra $40 to their FD. I would go for that.

It is not any individual tax that is an issue...it is all of them combined. $40 in the taxes I pay is noise. I couldn't tell you +/- $40 in my tax bill.

I can blow $40 and not care. $40 to me is not going out to dinner one time a week. I would have to cut back to 2 or 3 times a week.

But honestly to some people $40 is a lot of money at the moment.

What people get upset about the SENSE of entitlement that public employees expect. You are showing why people resent it. You assume that they should just pay "$40 bucks a year". If people were so heavily taxed, they might not mind the $40 a year. But it the sense of "the public can pay more" that upsets us.
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:26   #92
RimfireMan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
Wow, the stupid is strong in this thread. Entitlement is expecting money or services not earned in any way shape or form. The terms of a contract are not entitlement per say. You are entitled to be compensated according to the terms of the contract.
Wow, this is a stupid response. Please learn what the definition of an entitlement is. Just because you think you know what an entitlement is, doesn't mean that you really know what an entitlement is.
RimfireMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:31   #93
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,832
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
You do realise how many People actually qualify to be in the Military as we currently recruit?
About one in twenty in the greater Los Angeles area when I was a recruiter actually qualified to be tested with the ASVAB.
From there you took those scores and went to Medical which eliminated another 10-15%. Then they were given a background check and the legal end of the game was played out and you would lose another 3-5% who would lie to get that far.
I would guess now that the pool of potential recruits is about 10% of the American Population.
Using the Swiss draft as an example just doesn't work here in the U.S. Even if you would take in everyone it would burden the system rather than make it better.
With 30% of us obese, that alone would break the current system beyond repair.
You are arguing about being selective about who is taken because there are more people wanting to do a job than needed and trying to make the statement that the selectivity based upon too abundant supply of labor means that most CANNOT be soldiers.

History is not on your side. How many Russians in WW2 were not CAPABLE of being a soldier?

Look at the Taliban. These are essentially uneducated people that have the ability to be a soldier.

You are mixing desire and selectivity with ability.
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:43   #94
dango
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,547
Taliban- The Russians tryed for many years and could not defeat them........!

Nam- We hit them with every thing we had and guess what ?

No win........Maybe our standards are a bit high........?
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:46   #95
Averageman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
You are arguing about being selective about who is taken because there are more people wanting to do a job than needed and trying to make the statement that the selectivity based upon too abundant supply of labor means that most CANNOT be soldiers.

History is not on your side. How many Russians in WW2 were not CAPABLE of being a soldier?

Look at the Taliban. These are essentially uneducated people that have the ability to be a soldier.

You are mixing desire and selectivity with ability.
We are a very soft society.
If you take the average Afghan teen of today or the Russian Teen of 1938 and compare them to the American teens of today, you are clearly mixing apples and oranges.
You can barely fill manual labor jobs today because Americans have babied their young to the point that they now have an uneducated out of shape lump in front of a Play Station.
They dont herd goats and sheep against a 30 degree slope at 20,000 feet. They dont threash 40 acre feilds of wheat by hand either.
If you mention the "D" word today Millions of Parents in America would stand up and howl and the Politicans would run away like Mercury from the issue.
Again with a population of 30% Obese people and most doing no physical labor, you could not field a population of Warriors for years.
This is why we win with technology and are selective with who we choose to serve.
History may not be on my side, but history is past and does not work here and now.
Averageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:51   #96
Averageman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Taliban- The Russians tryed for many years and could not defeat them........!

Nam- We hit them with every thing we had and guess what ?

No win........Maybe our standards are a bit high........?
Or maybe we are afraid to fight a total War?
No one allowed total war in Viet Nam, as no one will allow total war against the Taliban.
Instead we celebrate the "Arab Spring" and watch the Taliban take power with our help.
Instead of comparing the Soldiers in the field compare the Leadership in power.
Some folks want to win and some want to be re elected.
Averageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 13:02   #97
frizz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
We do render a service.'08
Wait. Soldiers, sailers, Marines, and airmen actually earn their pay and other compensation?????


Gaaaaa!!!! FACTS!!! THEY BURN MY EYES!!!!

Must... Clear... My... Head... !!!!!


NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! THEY TAKE MY TAX DOLLARS AND GIVE IT TO THEM!!!! ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM <click heels> ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM <click heels> ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM <click heels>.

THE RUBY SLIPPERS DIDN'T WORK!!!! NOOOOOO!!!! HELP ME GLENDA!!!
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 13:03   #98
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,739


What is really funny is that all of the "conservatives" on this thread defending Social Security and Medicare probably despise socialism, deficit spending and believe we must quit accumulating debt.

Yet, when their teet is threatened they will defend THEIR socialism no matter the fact that spending cannot and will not be reigned in so long as Social Security and Medicare exist in their current form. The teet they defend is THE PROBLEM in the federal budget. Social Security recipients are part of the problem.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 10-14-2012 at 13:04..
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 13:08   #99
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,832
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
What is really funny is that all of the "conservatives" on this thread defending Social Security and Medicare probably despise socialism, deficit spending and believe we must quit accumulating debt.

Yet, when their teet is threatened they will defend THEIR socialism no matter the fact that spending cannot and will not be reigned in so long as Social Security and Medicare exist in their current form. The teet they defend is THE PROBLEM in the federal budget. Social Security recipients are part of the problem.
Well, in general, people feel that it is the "other person" that is the problem. Cut everything except what puts money in THEIR pocket.

I dont care what govt program it is, that is how it runs.

There are so many special interests like this, there is no way to make the required cuts. We will go off the cliff and look like Greece. The end has already been written. It just how get there and when we arrive.
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 13:08   #100
nursetim
Senior Member
 
nursetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: liberalville N. M.
Posts: 6,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimfireMan View Post
Wow, this is a stupid response. Please learn what the definition of an entitlement is. Just because you think you know what an entitlement is, doesn't mean that you really know what an entitlement is.
I don't remember attacking you personally. You must be a liberal, generally they like to get personal quickly. I take it you never raised you hand and defended our country. I don't know this to be a fact of course, as I do not know you. But your rantings seem to indicate that.

If you mattered in my day to day being. I might be all butt hurt over your personal attack. You don't so I'm not.
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. - I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:36.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,424
459 Members
965 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42