Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:55   #1
HAMMERHEAD

When did Glock change it's .40s&w chambers?

I'm in the market for a used Glock 23, and since I handload, I want to find one built after Glock tightened up the chambers.
No, I'm not worried about KB's, I just want the improved chambers to reduce wear and tear on the brass. I'll be buying off Gunbroker, so there's no way to check other than by knowing what year to look for.
I don't want a new one, and I'm not interested in an aftermarket barrel.
So, does anyone know what year or serial number prefix started the improved chambers?
Thanks.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:04   #2
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Tighter 40 caliber chamber mouths first came to my attention somewhere around late 2005. Buying older used 40 caliber Glocks, sight unseen and unexamined, is NOT the smartest move you could make. (I would hope you realize that - when it comes to mysterious 40 caliber Glock, 'kaBoom! problems' you've got a lot more to consider than just the chamber mouths - Yes?)
Old 10-14-2012, 08:19   #3
HAMMERHEAD

Thanks much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Tighter 40 caliber chamber mouths first came to my attention somewhere around late 2005. Buying older used 40 caliber Glocks, sight unseen and unexamined, is NOT the smartest move you could make. (I would hope you realize that - when it comes to mysterious 40 caliber Glock, 'kaBoom! problems' you've got a lot more to consider than just the chamber mouths - Yes?)
Yes, not just chambers, but why buy one with the old chamber?
No used guns around here to look at, but there some very affordable 23s on GB.
Thanks AA
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34   #4
vmann
Controller

my ****ty old 2001 23 has thousands of rounds though it....no issues....what a piece of junk

U.S. ARMY
Old 10-14-2012, 08:36   #5
SJ 40

I have a G 22 from 2002,it has what I would call a very generous chamber.
I also have a G 22 from 2006,it's chamber is much less generous than the 02. While no where near match grade it's still night and day improvement on my 02.
What I see from those two dates that I have squares with what Arc Angels findings reveal.
SJ 40
Old 10-14-2012, 09:14   #6
HAMMERHEAD

Thanks SJ 40.
The tighter chambers generally do help at the 25 yard line and beyond IME. I had an old E series G-35 with a 'generous' chamber that had very poor accuracy. None of us, including our club's IDPA champion, could get it to shoot any better than 5" at 25 yards. My E series G-20 was a tack driver by comparison.
I'm not going to shoot NRA bullseye with the 23, but I do like plinking at 25 and 50 yards. Handloads will be at modest pressure using slow powders and well inspected brass.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:23   #7
tacmc6

kaboom factor

I have a 2001 G22 and a 2005 G23 that were duty weapons. Now retired I still shoot them frequently. Is there anything I need to watch ref. the "kaboom" factor other than keeping them clean? I shoot mainly WWB 165gr and Winchester Ranger 180gr., no reloads. THANKS
Old 10-14-2012, 09:30   #8
HAMMERHEAD

AFAIK, most kabooms are caused by faulty handloads - weak brass, overcharges, etc...
Keep your springs fresh and use quality ammo, they should run like they always have.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:58   #9
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
AFAIK, most kabooms are caused by faulty handloads - weak brass, overcharges, etc...
Keep your springs fresh and use quality ammo, they should run like they always have.
First, you're welcome! Second, I am so tired of getting into stupid internet arguments over this topic that I hesitate to post any further on it; however, for you I'm going to make an exception:

1. You have to be careful which powder you reload with. If it has an unusually high, 'pressure spike' to it (like, say, Accurate Arms #5) then it's not going to get along well with Glock 40 caliber pistols.

2. Any 40 caliber Glock that has even the slightest tendency to EITHER (a.) fail to completely return to, or (b.) fire out-of-battery can turn out to be a problem.

3. I remain leery of the tendency for 40 caliber Glocks to peen the underside of the slide. Personally, I've always agreed with those gunmen who took the time to file down the protuding, 'fingers' on their G: 22, 23, & 27 lock blocks.

4. With the possible exception of 10mm and 357 SIG models, I am positive that harmonic polymer frame vibration has more of an adverse effect on 40 caliber Glocks than it does on other calibers.

5. I, also, suspect - but I have no way of definitely proving - that older Glock polymer frames, 'vibrate' more than newer ones. I have, also, noticed that many large police departments don't continue to field their polymer frame pistols much after 7 or 8 years - Many after only 5 or 6. (No, I don't know, 'Why'? It's just something I've noticed.)

Like I said, I don't care what someone else does with his Glock; and I'm not going to waste my time or intellect arguing any further on this topic. The world is full of fools and their opinions. Neither you, nor I are going to change that.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:24   #10
SJ 40

Hammerhead

I took some measurements of my barrels at the chambers approximately 1/8" deep in the chambers of both barrels.I know not the best means or device for exact measurements but what I have on hand without melting some Cerosafe.
Prefix FCG 2002- 0.429
Prefix KBW 2006-0.425
Measurements taken from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock,side to side.
That said I consider both guns more than accurate,not bullseye guns but I am pleased with their accuracy. SJ 40

Closed Thread