SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-15-2012, 13:57   #1
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Have you ever been stung by a yellow jacket on

your tongue? Well I just experienced that wretched event this morning... my woman left a can of pineapple juice on the hand rail and I saw it this morning and figured it would a great morning "pick me up jolt!" Well I was right! Apparently two of the yellow and black demons crawled into the can and of course got stuck in the juice... I come along and take a swig and HOLY MOTHER OF ***** THAT HURTS!! I spit the juice out along with two of the demons, one appeared to be dead already... and the other was moving vigorously until I stepped on it.

Woman heard me howling as I ran into the kitchen to rinse my mouth out (yeah... really didn't know what else to do) while our 9 month old is clapping her hands and howling with me!!!
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 13:58   #2
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

Keep your drinks in the fridge,the jellow jackets can't open the door

Okie is one KooL Cat
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 14:08   #3
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

I saw someone get stung in the throat by a bee at a range years ago. They set their Coke down, came back to it a while later, took a gulp, and next thing we knew he was swatting at his neck, coughing and gagging. Not pleasant to witness.

Keep those outdoor beverages capped or covered when not in use!
Old 10-15-2012, 14:46   #4
BEER
bad example

yep, i was stung on the lip once by a bee and once in the roof of my mouth by a red wasp. both from drink cans while outdoors. the shot to the roof of the mouth was one of the most agonizing experiences of my life, there was simply nothing i could do to alleviate the pain, and while i'm not allergic to wasp stings i am hypersensitive to them. where most people feel the throbbing pain for a few hours i feel it for up to 24 and sometimes longer depending on the location.

now when i drink soda outside i'll put a small piece of tape, or chewing gum or something on the tab and swing it around over the hole if i have to set it down for any length of time.
Old 10-15-2012, 14:47   #5
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
yep, i was stung on the lip once by a bee and once in the roof of my mouth by a red wasp. both from drink cans while outdoors. the shot to the roof of the mouth was one of the most agonizing experiences of my life, there was simply nothing i could do to alleviate the pain, and while i'm not allergic to wasp stings i am hypersensitive to them. where most people feel the throbbing pain for a few hours i feel it for up to 24 and sometimes longer depending on the location.

now when i drink soda outside i'll put a small piece of tape, or chewing gum or something on the tab and swing it around over the hole if i have to set it down for any length of time.
Good idea on the tape!
Old 10-15-2012, 14:59   #6
glockrod
NRA-Endow. Life

2 in my mouth

They lit me up!!

I was with a bunch of friends at a local dirt race track. Set my MtDew down and didnt look when I came back to it.

I very nearly had to go to the hospital. Although I am not generally allergic, my tongue and bottom lip swole up a good bit. I looked like a freak clown!!

Everyone, including me got a big laugh out of it, but it definitely taught me a lesson.
Old 10-15-2012, 15:00   #7
vart

Ouch! I have never been stung in the mouth. Worst yellow-jacket sting I have suffered was when one stung me right on the base of my skull.

Felt like it went right into my spinal cord... I got really dizzy and nauseous for about a half-hour...

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 15:02   #8
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Damn, that sucks! Another vote for tape or cigarrete pack on the can.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 15:06   #9
el_jewapo

A healthy splash of bourbon should be added to all canned drinks when outside in the summer months to ward off insects. To keep you warm in the winter months.
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 15:19   #10
Glock&KimberLady
Booyah!

Dayum. I got nailed on the back of the knee while leaving a VM...my friend called later, laughing his ass off at the two-minute, expletive-filled message I'd left for him. Felt like I had a cigarette being put out on my leg for about six hours. Couldn't imagine the mouth...but covering your drink is a act of life here in the summer. We have bald hornets (black and white) and they are as aggressive as Honey Badger.
Old 10-15-2012, 15:47   #11
TK-421

This is one of the major reasons why I like using bottles with screw on lids, instead of cans. Another reason why I don't like setting a drink down and not being able to constantly keep an eye on it. But that last one also stems from me not trusting people and expecting someone to put something in my drink if I step away from it.

Never been stung in the roof of my mouth. Worst I've had it was about a dozen stings on my legs once day from grabbing a pile of brush that had quite a few wasps in it. I bet the tongue really sucks though.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 16:50   #12
canis latrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock&KimberLady View Post
We have bald hornets (black and white) and they are as aggressive as Honey Badger.
they have absolutely NO sense of humor about ANYTHING!
canis latrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 16:56   #13
ede
Bama's Friend

I got stung once by a few yellow jackets, ended up walking down the hill to my house in my underwear.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 16:58   #14
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

It was my tongue... the tip, still burns although the swelling has gone down a bit.
Old 10-15-2012, 17:11   #15
texasglong
NRA Life Member

I use to raise honeybees. Been stung in some very funny places but not in the mouth.

Technically speaking, the bullets go inside the bad guy.
texasglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 17:15   #16
Foxtrotx1

Since I always have my phone with me, I set my phone on the can.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 17:15   #17
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
It was my tongue... the tip, still burns although the swelling has gone down a bit.
Just the tip?

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 17:43   #18
true believer

a bunch of places but!!
came close a few times...gota suck...
now they cant wait to get on the net and proudly display their ignorance over and over again"-
Dragoon44.
true believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 17:45   #19
jtull7
CLM Number 289
Pistolero

I've been stung by yellow jackets many times, and in many different places, but never on the tongue. OUCH!

In West Texas, BTW, they are usually called dirt daubers.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 17:49   #20
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrotx1 View Post
Just the tip?
Yeah... I picked the pineapple juice can up and took a swig... I like to swirl the juice around my tongue (weird I suppose) anyhow As soon as the first yellow jacket hit my tongue (I felt the "chunky" in the juice and knew something wasn't right) I started to spit but I think that's when the second one... or first I don't know, the one that WAS alive, stung me on the tip of my tongue.

The pain was something I have never experienced before... and I live with and have experienced some pretty gnarly pain in my short years, broken ribs, fingers, hands, arms, nose, deep lacerations... Pretty long list but this, WOW!
Old 10-15-2012, 17:50   #21
kiole

I've been stung in the throat that wasn't pleasant
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 17:53   #22
Walk Soft

No, but it's amazing that I haven't.I've spit at least a dozen out over the last couple years.
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 18:23   #23
el_jewapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post
I've been stung in the throat that wasn't pleasant
Inside or out?
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 18:30   #24
fusegsp

I was stung on the lip when I was 5 or 6. It swelled up like a mother. I was playing around the chain link dog kennels my uncle had for his Brittanies. The yellow jackets were inside the poles of the kennel. This was in the middle of the summer and hot as hell. My uncle put on a snowsuit and went out and went to work. He took the dogs and dog houses out of the enclosure and poured gas on the poles and set the whole deal on fire. I'm not sure if he did it for me or his dogs, but it worked.

Last edited by fusegsp; 10-15-2012 at 18:31..
fusegsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 19:26   #25
TransAm-98

My dad swallowed one that flew in his drink while we were camping once. Got him in the throat, he had a pretty rough weekend.
TransAm-98 is offline   Reply With Quote