GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 15:08   #201
Glock&KimberLady
Booyah!
 
Glock&KimberLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Glassing Yer Eyeball, ID
Posts: 10,861


Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
A low class pretentious a-hole?


I figured it just made me a Libertarian.

__________________
I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at the door of death.
Glock&KimberLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 15:18   #202
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock&KimberLady View Post
I figured it just made me a Libertarian.

Around here they're pretty much the same thing
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 15:20   #203
Glock&KimberLady
Booyah!
 
Glock&KimberLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Glassing Yer Eyeball, ID
Posts: 10,861


Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Around here they're pretty much the same thing
Ahhh...touché!!!!!
__________________
I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at the door of death.
Glock&KimberLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 17:07   #204
stevelyn
NRA Life Member
 
stevelyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fairbanksan in Aleutian Hell
Posts: 8,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock&KimberLady View Post
Hrm, where do I fit in then? I have both.
You're not trying to push an HOA regime as the bestest place to live. You merely own a place that has one.
__________________
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 18:54   #205
JuneyBooney
Senior Member
 
JuneyBooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15,492
HOA are hard to beat because they are not honest and lie quite well. Good luck.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:41   #206
frizz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
No, not at all. Just like workers who are not forced to join a union when they contract with a private employer.
This is not a valid comparison, but I'm sure you will keep digging to find some more invalid analogies.

The people who owned the land subdivided it and sold the lots with restrictions and covenants (such as the HOA) that run with the land. No one is forced to buy a deed with an HOA clause. They buy them of their own free will, and it is very easy to buy a house without an HOA.

Again...


Why do you hate freedom?
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51   #207
frizz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,670
duplicate

Last edited by frizz; 10-16-2012 at 06:27.. Reason: remove dupe
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:01   #208
HexHead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
Too bad adults cannot just agree to disagree. This is like just about everything, personal opinion.
Agreeing to disagree is one thing, but bragging about how they would prefer to leave crap on the porch, work on cars in the yard and not cut the grass for weeks is a whole 'nother matter. it shows they have no respect for others, much less themselves.

I'm all for personal freedom, but like the old saying goes, "your rights end at the tip of my nose".
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:16   #209
frizz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
I get that is how it generally works,but what legal principal allows me to sign a contract when I buy a house that is binding on the next buyer?

I just dont see the legal principla behind it (but I am also not a lawyer and specifically not a real estate lawyer)
The requirement is in the deed, and runs with the land. It is just the same as if you bought a house with some wort of easement.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:45   #210
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.
 
series1811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Retired, but not expired.
Posts: 14,311
When I was in south Florida, one of the HOA's decided that pickup trucks were ugly and got a bylaw passed outlawing "trucks" parking in driveways.

.....Only to find that "trucks" under the Florida vehicle code, included SUVs. DOH!!!

I leaned to hate them, living in Florida.
__________________
I sure miss the country I grew up in.
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:24   #211
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane
 
tantrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Louisiana, CSA
Posts: 9,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
Agreeing to disagree is one thing, but bragging about how they would prefer to leave crap on the porch, work on cars in the yard and not cut the grass for weeks is a whole 'nother matter. it shows they have no respect for others, much less themselves.
Doing whatever you want on your own property means you don't respect others? Well, I'm here to inform you that the day somebody tells me I need to cut my grass or get something out of my yard, they'll be told to piss off and to leave my property in record time.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
I'm all for personal freedom

Uh, no man...you aren't for personal freedom, you just proved that with this post.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
but like the old saying goes, "your rights end at the tip of my nose".

Here's a new saying: "Your nose ends at my property line".

Last edited by tantrix; 10-16-2012 at 08:25..
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:33   #212
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul
 
uhlawpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 5,303
Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
Let me see if I understand this.

J.Kill rented a townhouse in a development with a homeowners association, and feels that the rules he agreed to abide by are unjust, and wants exceptions to be made because of his particular situation.

I see.

I found a great way to have a terrific homeowners association. I took it over. I am president. SheWhoMustBeObeyed is secretary. No screwy yard-nazi rules. We control 2/5 of the Board of Directors. The other named officer, the treasurer, is a good friend. The two at-large board members are serving because I asked them to do so.

If you agree to abide by our rules, we only expect that you do so. If you do not agree with our rules, we call a meeting of all the homeowners to see if they should be changed. In the greatest of our country's traditions, majority rules. If you choose not to abide by the rules you agreed to abide by, we make it very expensive for you, and use the money to improve the common areas for us all. We do not contract out any duties of the association or board of directors. All are handled by people who live there and volunteer for the assignments.

I like our HOA. I plan to live here for the rest of my life.
__________________
uhlawpup - deep in the heart of Downtown Houston

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX

Last edited by uhlawpup; 10-16-2012 at 09:33..
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:53   #213
dan1488
Senior Member
 
dan1488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 275
I live out in the country on some acreage, Have plenty of stuff around that would get some of y'alls blood boiling. I shoot my guns in my yard, don't worry about property values, wouldn't mind if they go down which means lower property taxes. Don't plan on moving so property values are a non issue to me.
dan1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:30   #214
P99er
AKA PPQ'er
 
P99er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: My own little world
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlawpup View Post
In the greatest of our country's traditions, majority rules.
Are you aware this nation is NOT a democracy?
__________________
.

"I cannot sit and watch a lady diminish her qualities to the lowest common denominator. I just can't do that" - Jerry Lewis on female comics
P99er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:01   #215
LAWDOGKMS
Senior Member
 
LAWDOGKMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: TX
Posts: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
When I was in south Florida, one of the HOA's decided that pickup trucks were ugly and got a bylaw passed outlawing "trucks" parking in driveways.

.....Only to find that "trucks" under the Florida vehicle code, included SUVs. DOH!!!

I leaned to hate them, living in Florida.
Oh good lord! That simply wouldn't fly in Tejas!
LAWDOGKMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:57   #216
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWDOGKMS View Post
Oh good lord! That simply wouldn't fly in Tejas!
No kidding, my truck doesn't even fit in my garage
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:58   #217
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul
 
uhlawpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 5,303
Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by P99er View Post
Are you aware this nation is NOT a democracy?
Absolutely!

The Founding Fathers knew that a pure democracy could never survive. That's why they established a democratic republic.
__________________
uhlawpup - deep in the heart of Downtown Houston

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 13:10   #218
johnd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,976
Send a message via ICQ to johnd
Meh, we live in an HOA gated community of 88 where the HOA has had a legacy of doing nothing, diverting funds to parties and friends etc but there again was a source of endless entertainment for the $120 or so a year with their shennanigans and incompetence. As someone here commented, they are like the government.
They cited me over moss on the fence while forgiving their friends of mouldy roofs and falling down fences etc.
So I sued them and sued them good too. Seems now Im a 1/88th part of a special assessment to pay myself the settlement winnings. Sweet/ I get the other 87 assessments and got rid of the entire board in one fell swoop.
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 15:20   #219
Thisiswhoweare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Somewhere in USA
Posts: 6
If you want to get back at the HOA board, read your HOA rules. If you don't have a copy, you can get a copy from them. Then read the section which requires the HOA board to provide a financial accounting in writing to any HOA member who inquires. If you get a financial accounting, take a look as to how the HOA spends its money from HOA members. My guess is you will find many things to pick at and even may find something to file suit upon such as misfeasance, malfeasance, or just plain incompetence by the HOA board.
Thisiswhoweare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 16:01   #220
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul
 
uhlawpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 5,303
Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
As a renter, he may not be a member of the HOA. The bylaws should be public record, and he can check to see. The nice thing about being a renter is that he can move away if he doesn't like the rules. He needs to check his lease and see what the conditions for moving out are.

What it all boils down to is READING. And he can do that.
__________________
uhlawpup - deep in the heart of Downtown Houston

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 19:25   #221
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 10,130
Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlawpup View Post
Let me see if I understand this.

J.Kill rented a townhouse in a development with a homeowners association, and feels that the rules he agreed to abide by are unjust, and wants exceptions to be made because of his particular situation.

I see.

I found a great way to have a terrific homeowners association. I took it over. I am president. SheWhoMustBeObeyed is secretary. No screwy yard-nazi rules. We control 2/5 of the Board of Directors. The other named officer, the treasurer, is a good friend. The two at-large board members are serving because I asked them to do so.

If you agree to abide by our rules, we only expect that you do so. If you do not agree with our rules, we call a meeting of all the homeowners to see if they should be changed. In the greatest of our country's traditions, majority rules. If you choose not to abide by the rules you agreed to abide by, we make it very expensive for you, and use the money to improve the common areas for us all. We do not contract out any duties of the association or board of directors. All are handled by people who live there and volunteer for the assignments.

I like our HOA. I plan to live here for the rest of my life.
Yeah, some guy and his wife did something along those lines and got themselves banned for life from ever serving on another HOA board.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/173415661.html
__________________
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 20:46   #222
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul
 
uhlawpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 5,303
Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
Yeah, some guy and his wife did something along those lines and got themselves banned for life from ever serving on another HOA board.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/173415661.html
Not even close to our situation.

Our neighbors chose us unanimously, and only need a simple majority to remove us.

Heck, they even agreed to double our salary. Twice zero is still zero, even with the new math!
__________________
uhlawpup - deep in the heart of Downtown Houston

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 20:23   #223
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz View Post
This is not a valid comparison, but I'm sure you will keep digging to find some more invalid analogies.

The people who owned the land subdivided it and sold the lots with restrictions and covenants (such as the HOA) that run with the land. No one is forced to buy a deed with an HOA clause. They buy them of their own free will, and it is very easy to buy a house without an HOA.

Again...


Why do you hate freedom?
Contracting with a guy selling his property is not contracting with the neighbors. Contacting with an employer is not contracting with co-workers (union). Requiring such contracts is about as anti-freedom as it gets.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 20:27   #224
gjk5
Pinche Gringo
 
gjk5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Grand Junction Colorado
Posts: 9,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
Contracting with a guy selling his property is not contracting with the neighbors.



effing clueless.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20   #225
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul
 
uhlawpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 5,303
Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
NorthCarolina needs to read up on covenants that run with the land, and the freedom to enter contracts.

Without those basic freedoms, we can end up with chaos regarding land use and our living conditions.

If you don't like the covenants that run with the land, you're free to either not buy it or to get the required number of your neighbors to agree with you and change them.

That, my friends, is freedom at its most basic level.
__________________
uhlawpup - deep in the heart of Downtown Houston

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX

Last edited by uhlawpup; 10-18-2012 at 11:21..
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 783
199 Members
584 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42