SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2012, 19:32   #1
Brooklyn123456

Send a message via AIM to Brooklyn123456
Another 9 mm Gold Dot 124 Grain +p Shooting in Brooklyn

Police Shoot Suspected Car Thief After Chase In Williamsburg Updated October 12, 2012 4:29pm

BROOKLYN — Police officers shot and critically wounded a suspected car thief in Williamsburg on Thursday night after he opened fire on cops, police said.

The mayhem unfolded around 11:30 p.m. after Dahan Sam, 29, was pulled over for having expired plates on what was later discovered to be a stolen SUV, then sped away, police said.

The officers sent out a description of Sam and a sergeant spotted him walking with another man nearby, police said Friday. The sergeant flagged down a nearby police car and directed those officers toward Sam, according to officials. The two men bolted when police approached, officials said.

A group of officers chased Sam into the Williams Plaza Houses at 255 Havemeyer St., where he tried to climb over a fence, but tripped, police said.

That's when Sam drew a 9 mm handgun, police said.

"I heard a bunch of cops yelling, 'Drop your weapon,'" said Danny Soto, 35, who lives in the housing complex. “It was like out of a movie."

Sam allegedly fired twice, prompting the officers to unleash nine shots — seven from one officer's weapon and two from another's — all within a range of 4 to 8 feet, police said.

Another witness from the building said he heard the shooting, ran outside and saw Sam lying on his stomach wearing a gray hoodie.

"It looked like he was in pain," said Aaron Kinard, 24. "He was moaning. They took off all his clothes and were checking his body and legs." The suspect was still moving and breathing when he was taken away, Kinard said.

Sam was rushed to Bellevue Hospital where he was listed in critical condition, police officials said.

Sam's gun was purchased in North Carolina, according to police.

The second man Sam had been walking with remains at large because the officers chasing him changed course when they heard the shots fired, police said.

None of the officers was injured in the encounter, officials said.

The shooting came on the heels of an annual NYPD report that said the number of times police fired their weapons at suspects remained low in 2011.
Brooklyn123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 19:45   #2
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Interesting that two trained police officers firing from a range of only 4-8 feet, could not kill the perp with nine shots.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:43   #3
G26AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforeobamabans View Post
Interesting that two trained police officers firing from a range of only 4-8 feet, could not kill the perp with nine shots.

It all depends on the shot placement. It doesn't how many of the 9 shots , or where.000
G26AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52   #4
TK-421

Quote:
As far as I know, most police officers are only required to train twice a year, so that's how often they train. That, factored in with adrenaline out the ass and someone shooting at you, they're not going to be perfect every time, so it's understandable that they weren't perfect.

Should look up the officers and see how many times they've had to use their firearm in the line of duty before, I bet it's either none, or once before.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:43   #5
hunter won

Quote:
The 9mm +P Gold Dot did the job. It kept the bad guy down for the count.
hunter won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:15   #6
Chuck54

Thinking my accuracy might not be too good if the bad guy got the first two shots off at 4-8 feet.
Chuck54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 13:56   #7
ggarciatx
Cold War Sailor

don't forget.............

that they are fighting that forsaken heavy 12 pound New York Trigger setup in their Glocks.

In Memory of my Father Jose C. Garcia USMC 2ND Marine Division WW2. Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, Okinawa and Occupation forces of Japan. 4th battalion/10th Marines :usmc:
ggarciatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 18:43   #8
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggarciatx View Post
that they are fighting that forsaken heavy 12 pound New York Trigger setup in their Glocks.
That's right. I have forgotten about that.
Old 10-15-2012, 19:07   #9
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26AZ View Post
It all depends on the shot placement. It doesn't how many of the 9 shots , or where.000
I disagree... Someone gets hit with 9 10mm bullets, shot placement isn't going to matter much because by that point the bad guy would have disintegrated.
Old 10-15-2012, 20:11   #10
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Isn't the survival rate on handgun wounds at around the 80% rate?
Old 10-15-2012, 20:26   #11
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
Isn't the survival rate on handgun wounds at around the 80% rate?
That's my understanding also.

Aside from that, four seasoned NYPD undercover officers cornered Amadou Diallo in a doorway and when they thought he was reaching for a gun they only managed to hit him 19 times out of 41 shots. In a narrow doorway!

So should the NYPD throw away their G-17 pistols and 124-grain Gold Dot +P ammo and what the Diallo detectives were carrying?

We know the answer to that because we know there is no "magic bullet" or "always perfect" shots under extreme duress. Mas Ayoob, in one of his articles, wrote of an LEO who chased a fleeing suspect at night only to be ambushed from the side of a garage. The LEO/suspect were at arms length firing away with neither able to hit the other until the officer remembered "acquire a sight picture".

Real world events don't follow strict science or scripts so the best advice is to maintain your self-defense weapon at the highest level and to keep shooting until the threat is neutralized.
Old 10-16-2012, 18:45   #12
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
That's my understanding also.

Aside from that, four seasoned NYPD undercover officers cornered Amadou Diallo in a doorway and when they thought he was reaching for a gun they only managed to hit him 19 times out of 41 shots. In a narrow doorway!

So should the NYPD throw away their G-17 pistols and 124-grain Gold Dot +P ammo and what the Diallo detectives were carrying?

We know the answer to that because we know there is no "magic bullet" or "always perfect" shots under extreme duress. Mas Ayoob, in one of his articles, wrote of an LEO who chased a fleeing suspect at night only to be ambushed from the side of a garage. The LEO/suspect were at arms length firing away with neither able to hit the other until the officer remembered "acquire a sight picture".

Real world events don't follow strict science or scripts so the best advice is to maintain your self-defense weapon at the highest level and to keep shooting until the threat is neutralized.
I AGREE!
Old 10-18-2012, 19:12   #13
1smoothredneck

Front Sight. Smooth roll/press of the trigger. Repeat as necessary. Good guys all upright. Bad guy horizontal. Sounds Good To Me.
1smoothredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 20:23   #14
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
...Aside from that, four seasoned NYPD undercover officers cornered Amadou Diallo in a doorway and when they thought he was reaching for a gun they only managed to hit him 19 times out of 41 shots. In a narrow doorway!...

A little over 46% is a superb hit ratio!!! Trust me.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:36   #15
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

I can almost guarantee 90 percent of the shots fired were not with bodies "squared" up to the target.

Even so, you would seriously be amazed at how many shots can be taken before going down. Especially with the popularity of opiates these days.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:56   #16
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
I disagree... Someone gets hit with 9 10mm bullets, shot placement isn't going to matter much because by that point the bad guy would have disintegrated.
Good little piece of humor. Of course, that would never happen.
Old 10-19-2012, 15:42   #17
DonGlock26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn123456 View Post
"It looked like he was in pain," said Aaron Kinard, 24. "He was moaning.
Hmm. Caliber Corner
Old 10-19-2012, 21:47   #18
SCmasterblaster

Well if you point a gun at police, one can expect to get shot.

Tags
9mm 124 grain +p gold dot, nypd