Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:12   #1
tonydave

diferrent kinds of hand gun

what are the different types of 22 handguns and what are they price??? and pics of them??
tonydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:34   #2
jakebrake
cracker

tonydave, for lack of a better way to word it, that's like asking what are the prices and differences between a car.

obvious differences, revolver and automatic.

a 22 can run you from ballpark of 250 to upwards of 500.

and that's just new...throw used into the mix, and this could fill an encyclopedia, my friend.

start with the basics. are you used to a revolver, or an automatic. from there, try a few on. see how they fit your hand. then ask if anyone has any experience with that make and model (i'm sure someone here has.)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08   #3
Bruce M

A popular although now expensive choice for a .22 handgun is a Smith and Wesson .22 revolver. Seems like they are going for above 600 or even above 700 new right now. Smith and Wesson has some experience making .22 revolvers as they were in fairly early in both cartridge revolvers and the .22 cartridge.

General Firearms Forum
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 10-13-2012 at 10:18..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14   #4
Bruce M

Ruger makes one the more popular lines of .22 pistols. I have seen used ones listed at ~$200 to ~500 for some versions of it new. General Firearms Forum
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:00   #5
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

I just bought an as new Heritage Rough Rider single action revolver for under $200.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01   #6
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Not to forget single shot free pistols. The Toz 35 comes to mind.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:10   #7
Berto
woo woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydave View Post
what are the different types of 22 handguns and what are they price??? and pics of them??
Maybe we can narrow things down if you tell us a little bit about what kind of uses you have in mind....

Protection
Target shooting
Concealed carry (small guns?)
General Plinking/Range (fun gun)

...etc

Basically, you have single shot pistols, revolvers and semi-auto pistols.
There are some others, but they are very narrow in application, like Derringers, mini revolvers etc.

The single shots will be most commonly a Thompson Center or high end Target Pistol for high level competition target shooting - like Olympics, or for hunting small game. Anywhere from $350 to thousands of dollars.

Revolvers can be for anything- from local level competition target shooting (like the S&W 617 or Colt Officers match .22's) which will run typically $500+, to self defense and sport/plinking oriented guns with short barrels and lightweight features (like the Ruger LCR .22, Ruger Sp101 .22, Taurus 94 and S&W 317)- they can go from $300 up to approx $600

Semi autos, same deal. High end Target guns like Pardini, Walther, S&W , Colt, etc that are made for precision, priced in the $800 and up, or the Rugers MK and 22/45 series, which are Golden for local level competition and do everything else pretty damn well too and can be in the $400 range or less, new.
Other semi's can be small, oriented for protection, like the Beretta Minx, Jetfire, Taurus PT22. Jennings (and a crapload of others) make very inexpensive small autos, generally under $250....but the small .22 auto isn't typically a good self defense weapon, keep that in mind.
Some of the popular autos right now are based on the 9mm and .40 caliber service pistols, but in .22 for low cost practice...often referred to as 'understudy' guns. S&W M&P .22 and Ruger's SR22 would be examples, under $500 easy.

Tons of choices. Knowing what you want from the gun will narrow it down a lot.

Last edited by Berto; 10-13-2012 at 11:12..
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50   #8
tonydave

i am a total newbie,i am unsure the difference between a revolver and a autoloading handgun..
tonydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14   #9
Berto
woo woo

Old 10-17-2012, 09:44   #10
SigFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
A popular although now expensive choice for a .22 handgun is a Smith and Wesson .22 revolver. Seems like they are going for above 600 or even above 700 new right now. Smith and Wesson has some experience making .22 revolvers as they were in fairly early in both cartridge revolvers and the .22 cartridge.

General Firearms Forum
I was at a hunting ranch and the owner had one of these, it was one solid build 22!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:46   #11
DairyFresh

I'd be looking at a Taurus revolver or something similar if I were you tonydave. Something inexpensive, simple, less expensive to start out with.
Old 10-17-2012, 15:52   #12
collim1
Shower Time!

I much prefer revolvers for .22LR.

I have a Ruger MKII semi auto and a Ruger SP101 in .22LR.

The revolver has the advantage of being able to cycle any .22 load from CB shorts to Stingers with 100% reliability.

There is a lot of variation in .22LR. Most semi-autos are designed to work with as specific weight bullet and velocity for best reliability.

This gun is boat loads of fun every time I take it out.

General Firearms Forum

Not the most accurate .22LR handgun I have ever fired, but it sure can dance a pepsi can out to 25yds.

Last edited by collim1; 10-17-2012 at 15:53..
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 16:28   #13
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
tonydave, for lack of a better way to word it, that's like asking what are the prices and differences between a car.

obvious differences, revolver and automatic.

a 22 can run you from ballpark of 250 to upwards of 500.

and that's just new...throw used into the mix, and this could fill an encyclopedia, my friend.

start with the basics. are you used to a revolver, or an automatic. from there, try a few on. see how they fit your hand. then ask if anyone has any experience with that make and model (i'm sure someone here has.)
A .22 can cost a hell of a lot more than that. One of my High Standards is worth a Grand easy. Some guns can cost 3000 or more dollars.

However for your average person. A sub 500 dollar gun is all they ever need. The guns to stick with are the ones that have been around years. Sticking with the MK Ruger, or the Browning is a good bet.

Some guns can be greatly upgradeable. I have about 750 into a Ruger MK pistol including the cost of the gun. On the other hand if you have an M1911 and want to practice with it. You could get a .22 conversion kit or even one of the .22 1911's.

Then you have revolvers to consider. There is never be a finer .22 revolver than a K22.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote