SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2012, 19:13   #1
TeeJay37

Interacting with Law Enforcement

Hello Mas,
Sorry if this has been beaten to death. I was having a discussion this past weekend that got me thinking. A friend of mine said he got pulled over while he had a pistol in his car and he had no clue what to do, so he just got out of the car and told the officer why when he approached. Around here, some cops are very sensitive, I suppose you could say, when you do things without instruction. It brought up a few points. What would be the best way to inform the officer you were carrying? One situation I imagines was that you tell him/her that you have a pistol/gun/handgun and all their partner hears is "gun". Seems like it could make a bad day a little worse. Another thing, what do you do if they tell you to get out over a pa? What should you do while waiting for them to get into speaking distance?
TeeJay37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 15:52   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

When in doubt, simply hand your permit to the officer along with driver's license and registration. In some jurisdictions, of course, it is mandatory to notify the officer that you're carrying.

If ordered out of the car with a public address system, obey without any sudden movements. As officers approach, advise, "Officers, I'm licensed to carry and do have it on, right hip (or wherever)."

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 14:45   #3
TeeJay37

Thanks for the advise. I guess it is more of a "cross that bridge when I come to it" type of thing. Since every event will be unique. I forgot to mention that I am in Louisiana, so I must inform them. Probably my biggest worry is that I keep my wallet in my right rear pocket and carry on my right hip. And my seat belt latch is of course on my right side, too. So much to consider.
Old 10-13-2012, 17:21   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Best to have the map to the bridge before crossing it.

If you will have to release the seatbelt and the seatbelt is near your holster, you might want to keep your hands on the wheel and state:

"Officer, my driver's license is in my wallet, and I would have to release my seat belt to get it out for you. I'm licensed to carry, and it's in a holster right by my seat belt buckle. Tell me what you'd like me to do."

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 18:32   #5
TeeJay37

As always, Mas, great input. Thank you very much. That really does sound like the best way to handle the situation. And a good way of saying it without "gun" or "weapon" being used.