SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:40   #61
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
You don't like the saggy pants and shirt look that is so en vogue nowadays?
It's fer CCW. Big clothes is in. 'Tis the only reason I'm losing weight

-Edward Conlon

Last edited by rockapede; 12-04-2012 at 07:41..
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37   #62
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I agree. Gotta allow for an inch at least to CCW properly, more if you are IWB a 10mm or equivalent yield in tactical nuclear devices.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:03   #63
NOLA_glock
Shrug Life

Cutting regular soda started it all for me a few years ago, as well. I think I lost 8 lbs or so with just that one change. I had a slight slipup when I started school again full-time, but I've maintained -45lbs for about a year now no prob.

I had a similar wtf moment when I weighed 185+ (I'm only 5'7") after a couple years of post-Katrina overtime. Good luck with dropping the padding. Feels good man! I no longer have the mental barrier to putting on weight, and am eating more in order to build a little lean mass.

ಠ_ಠ
NOLA_glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10   #64
NOLA_glock
Shrug Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
You know, I didn't take a specific "before" pic. I'm sure I have photos laying around though. Maybe when I get closer to a goal weight.
OP, I definitely recommend taking pictures for yourself. I wish I'd started taking my narcissistic/humiliating shirtless mirror pics from the beginning, but I only started at +20 lbs or so from my current weight. It's still amazing since it can be hard to see a change in yourself by just looking every day. You can make an animated gif and watch yourself melt away!

Eta: I do definitely have pictures from around the time I was the heaviest, but it's just not the same.

ಠ_ಠ

Last edited by NOLA_glock; 12-04-2012 at 10:12..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10   #65
rockapede

Quote:
I agree. Gotta allow for an inch at least to CCW properly, more if you are IWB a 10mm or equivalent yield in tactical nuclear devices.
I'll know I've reached my goal weight when I can carry a Draco or AR pistol IWB.

Note to self: buy a Draco or AR pistol for IWB carry.

-Edward Conlon
Old 12-04-2012, 10:11   #66
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_glock View Post
OP, I definitely recommend taking pictures for yourself. I wish I'd started taking my narcissistic/humiliating shirtless mirror pics from the beginning, but I only started at +20 lbs or so from my current weight. It's still amazing since it can be hard to see a change in yourself by just looking every day. You can make an animated gif and watch yourself melt away!
I didn't take a specific before picture of myself but my wife is a hobby photographer. They exist....

-Edward Conlon
Old 12-04-2012, 10:31   #67
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

It's sugar, much more so than fat, that is the enemy of overweight people.

As long as I'm not touching any sugar AT ALL, I can drink whole milk, use olive oil for salad dressing - eat all sorts of natural fats, and I can still loose weight doing it. If I'm eating sugar, it wouldn't matter if the only other thing I ate was rice cakes - I'd still gain weight even if my calorie intake was pretty low.

Read the nutrition information on a can of Coke. No fat at all, right? Yet everyone knows that Cokes make you fat or they wouldn't make diet Coke. Think about that before going on a plan of shunning fat while continuing to eat more sugar. It only takes a little to totally screw up a weight loss plan. Just eating fat free salad dressing (which has sugar added to make up for the loss of taste) is enough to screw up a fat loss plan.

Bottom line : If it's got a picture of a skinny girl on the box with a tape measure around her waist, it's a scam and you should not buy it. It may not have any fat in it, but it's probably full of sugar and MSG (now falsely yet legally labeled as "natural flavor" by the FDA) and so much salt that there's no way anyone can loose weight while eating the crap.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:53   #68
NOLA_glock
Shrug Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
It's sugar, much more so than fat, that is the enemy of overweight people.

As long as I'm not touching any sugar AT ALL, I can drink whole milk, use olive oil for salad dressing - eat all sorts of natural fats, and I can still loose weight doing it. If I'm eating sugar, it wouldn't matter if the only other thing I ate was rice cakes - I'd still gain weight even if my calorie intake was pretty low.

Read the nutrition information on a can of Coke. No fat at all, right? Yet everyone knows that Cokes make you fat or they wouldn't make diet Coke. Think about that before going on a plan of shunning fat while continuing to eat more sugar. It only takes a little to totally screw up a weight loss plan. Just eating fat free salad dressing (which has sugar added to make up for the loss of taste) is enough to screw up a fat loss plan.

Bottom line : If it's got a picture of a skinny girl on the box with a tape measure around her waist, it's a scam and you should not buy it. It may not have any fat in it, but it's probably full of sugar and MSG (now falsely yet legally labeled as "natural flavor" by the FDA) and so much salt that there's no way anyone can loose weight while eating the crap.
+1

That's a trend that just won't die quickly enough. It doesn't help that it just sounds intuitively true on that face of it that eating a lot of fat will make you fat.

I'm in the beginning of a ketogenic diet that I plan on sticking with for just a couple of weeks in order to cut a little (very little, actually. I'm just being vain.) belly fat. My calories are about 70% from fats.

Andouille, cream cheese, 10% fat Greek yogurt, coconut oil, avocados and a hefty portion of meat. If I lose a sixteenth of a pound of fat after I beef up my lipid metabolism Ill be fine because this 2 week diet is just delicious. It doesn't hurt that I've never had much of a sweet tooth.

A helpful thing to remember is that one of insulin's functions is to signal fat synthesis and storage. That doesn't mean you can't get your chubbs on if you overeat any kind of food, but it is significantly easier to do it with lots of simple carbohydrates.

ಠ_ಠ
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56   #69
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_glock View Post
+1

That's a trend that just won't die quickly enough. It doesn't help that it just sounds intuitively true on that face of it that eating a lot of fat will make you fat.

I'm in the beginning of a ketogenic diet that I plan on sticking with for just a couple of weeks in order to cut a little (very little, actually. I'm just being vain.) belly fat. My calories are about 70% from fats.

Andouille, cream cheese, 10% fat Greek yogurt, coconut oil, avocados and a hefty portion of meat. If I lose a sixteenth of a pound of fat after I beef up my lipid metabolism Ill be fine because this 2 week diet is just delicious. It doesn't hurt that I've never had much of a sweet tooth.

A helpful thing to remember is that one of insulin's functions is to signal fat synthesis and storage. That doesn't mean you can't get your chubbs on if you overeat any kind of food, but it is significantly easier to do it with lots of simple carbohydrates.
Yup, you guys might want to check MCT Oil out. I use MCT oil and ghee butter into my coffee drink.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38   #70
ottomatic

The point raised about sugars vs fats is dead on.
Much (if not most) of the "LOW FAT" stuff is marketing hype and can be totally misleading.
An example I saw in a snack machine: They had the left partition labelled "HEALTHY", because they claimed these items were under 25% fat.
In the main portion of the machine they had four filled snack cakes as one item.
Then in the left (Healthy????????) section they had three of the same snack cakes, but had added sugar frosting on them. Now since they added a bunch of empty (and fat-free) calories, it changed the total-calory to fat-calory ratio to get these under the magic 25% mark. Yet they really were even unhealthier than the others.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Matthew 5:9
ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:17   #71
F350

Quote:
I'm down 45 pounds in roughly 60 days. I eat less than 1,000 calories per day. Paleo all the way. Completely physician supevised. No more than 4-6 ounces of protein three times per day plus a serving of veggies. Very little fruit, sugar, carbs, etc. Basically, I stopped eating stuff that tastes good. I'm down 2-3 pant sizes. I just had to sell some pants and jackets and shirts on eBay. I just looked silly in them.
Pretty much the same here but I use a soy based meal replacement after a 2 hour swim for breakfast, then about 3 oz of lean meat for lunch and dinner is something like a skinless chicken breast, salmon, pork loin, steak and about 2 cups of vegetable or a frozen Lean Cuisine type dinner for an even lower calorie count.

I have eliminated wheat/gluten and potatoes from my diet, I have type 2 diabetes and since I have started this diet I have been having problems with low blood sugar and am having to constantly monitor my blood sugar and keep reducing my meds, I am pretty close to stopping meds altogether.
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 16:15   #72
scottydl

Losing weight so quickly is not good for your body. Unless you can keep up those extreme diets for the rest of your life (which you can't), most of the weight will return the moment that you return to eating normally. That's why fad diet products like Slim Fast are worthless revolving doors... except for the manufacture who continues to make profits as consumers' weight balloons back and forth. Average healthy weight loss for adults is 1-2 lbs per week, and most adult men need about 2000 calories/day to maintain a healthy weight and promote muscle growth. Going about it the right way will greatly increase your chances of long-term success.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 16:55   #73
jakebrake
cracker

what helped me. eat 6 times per day. (SMALL MEALS at biggest...you'll see what i mean) keeps the metabolism going, and, as crazy as it sounds, start doing little everyday changes. park further away. take the steps instead of the elevator or escalator.

sounds dumb? dropped 92 pounds that way. soon as i reverted back to my old ways? boom. gained 30 of it back.

when i did this, i swear i was never hungry or tired. wasn't a life altering live at the gym, can't exist type of thing.
Old 12-04-2012, 18:36   #75
F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
Losing weight so quickly is not good for your body. Unless you can keep up those extreme diets for the rest of your life (which you can't), most of the weight will return the moment that you return to eating normally. That's why fad diet products like Slim Fast are worthless revolving doors... except for the manufacture who continues to make profits as consumers' weight balloons back and forth. Average healthy weight loss for adults is 1-2 lbs per week, and most adult men need about 2000 calories/day to maintain a healthy weight and promote muscle growth. Going about it the right way will greatly increase your chances of long-term success.
I'm trying to get a contract for a year in Afghanistan and have to meet new BMI standards, at your rate the war will be over before then.

My doc is following what I'm doing, she also did a free testosterone test and said I was low (as are most men my age) and that has an effect on metabolism and weight gain. So she is giving me the maximum recommended dosage shots every 2 weeks to rev up the metabolic rate and speed weight loss; wife likes the other effects too

Last edited by F350; 12-04-2012 at 18:44..
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 21:04   #76
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 View Post
I'm trying to get a contract for a year in Afghanistan and have to meet new BMI standards, at your rate the war will be over before then.
Haha, I doubt that! Obviously I can see your need for quick droppage of pounds, and it may work short-term... but just be prepared for everything to come rushing back once the crazy diet and synthetic injections end.

And while it sounds like your doc probably (?) knows what she is doing, there are a lot of M.D.'s who don't know a healthy lifestyle from a hole in the ground.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 21:46   #77
ozark-tracker

Sept 6 of this year I woke up with some chest pains I'd never had before, end of the day I was in the hospital getting a stent put in, I weighed in at 246 lbs, 5ft 11inches, I'll be 62 the 27th of this month, I've lost 44 pounds since Sept 7th, eat low fat, chicken turkey, baked, lots of beans, rice , salads, sweet potatos, no regular potatos, no bread, no sugar, no salt, no sweet drinks,
I eat a few times a day enough to keep me from being hungry at all but I watch my portion size, I walk 1 1/2 miles to 3 miles a day not every day, feel better than I have in years, but a good scare can move mountains
BMI is down to overweight now from Obese hope to get down to around 190 and hold there, the last few years we've just been eating out and eating good, gonna get this thing back under control

Last edited by ozark-tracker; 12-04-2012 at 21:48..
ozark-tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:55   #78
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
You don't like the saggy pants and shirt look that is so en vogue nowadays?
For some reason the whole "hey, I'm up for sodomy" look never looked appealing.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:24   #79
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

The funny thing is that not even my watch fits the same to say nothing of my vest.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:57   #80
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
For some reason the whole "hey, I'm up for sodomy" look never looked appealing.

He might not be up for sodomy... but his boyfriend sure is and he doesn't have much to say about it.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote