Old 10-12-2012, 20:55   #1
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

Marine carries boy bone cancer survivor across finish line at Triathlon

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1181821

The Okie Corral

Quote:
Marine carries boy, bone cancer survivor, across finish line at Florida triathlon
excerpt:
Quote:
Ben Baltz, 11, a bone cancer survivor, was running in a Florida childrenís triathlon when he noticed something was wrong with his prosthetic leg. Unable to fix it, he was helped across the finish line by a Marine who wanted to make sure the boy finished the race. ... ...

BY VICTORIA CAVALIERE / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 12, 2012, 11:30 AM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz298yshxWn
I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life
(The Wreckers; "Stand Still; Look Pretty")
MB-G26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 23:10   #2
guanoman

And instead of plastering this all over the news channels, we get how Romney wants to kill Big Bird.

This Marine epitomizes what a Marine should be.
Old 10-13-2012, 00:25   #3
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanoman View Post
And instead of plastering this all over the news channels, we get how Romney wants to kill Big Bird.

This Marine epitomizes what a human should be.
It's so bizarre how during the time of my grandparents it was perfectly natural to pick up strange people hitchhiking down the road and drop them off a few miles further on, so they don't have to walk so far. But nowadays, it seems like the majority of people would rather get pissed off and curse at people who need help, because that person is getting in their way and slowing them down, instead of being polite and helping the person out.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:05   #4
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanoman View Post
This Marine epitomizes what a Marine should be.
Couldn't agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
It's so bizarre how during the time of my grandparents it was perfectly natural to pick up strange people hitchhiking down the road and drop them off a few miles further on, so they don't have to walk so far. But nowadays, it seems like the majority of people would rather get pissed off and curse at people who need help, because that person is getting in their way and slowing them down, instead of being polite and helping the person out.
Unfortunately, times have changed.

Back in your grandfathers time, people would thank you for the lift with a handshake. Now, you'd be lucky if they didn't rob you or slit your throat. As people have become more evil, people that would normally be perfectly willing to help someone, don't just because of the risk factor

Think about it, if your elderly mother said she was driving home and some poor girl was walking down the street in the rain/cold, so she stopped and gave her a ride home. How would you react? I know how I would, and it wouldn't be pretty.

It's sad, but it is what it is.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 10-13-2012 at 04:06..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:11   #5
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
He'll of a different world these days. Ever read a newspaper?
Watch the national news?
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:12   #6
Beretta92guy

that right there is one class-act
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:13   #7
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Couldn't agree more!

Unfortunately, times have changed.

Back in your grandfathers time, people would thank you for the lift with a handshake. Now, you'd be lucky if they didn't rob you or slit your throat. As people have become more evil, people that would normally be perfectly willing to help someone, don't just because of the risk factor

Think about it, if your elderly mother said she was driving home and some poor girl was walking down the street in the rain/cold, so she stopped and gave her a ride home. How would you react? I know how I would, and it wouldn't be pretty.

It's sad, but it is what it is.
I think about this a lot. How I love technology and all of that stuff, but I would much rather have lived in the time where you could do that, where people treated people with respect. Even with a CCW, I have reservations about picking someone up. I am of the general nature to help people in need if I can. I would gladly drive someone home, if they wanted. Especially in the Florida heat. It truly is sad the world we live in.

Regards to the OP,

That was a very heart warming and feel good story.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:14   #8
deputy tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta92guy View Post
that right there is one class-act
^^DITTO! tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceÚl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:53   #9
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

I have a close friend who's son has a congenital musculo-skeletal disorder. This fall he will (hopefully) complete Ironman Florida and plans to disqualify himself at the finish when he picks up his son just before the finish line and carry him across.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:02   #10
EdTracker
Lifetime Membership

The original article that I read mentions something that I thought equally powerful.

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/stor...5idrC-HUQ.cspx

ď... Ben said he and Morgan didnít really speak after their first exchange, but more Marines gathered around and sang a cadence. ..."

The other Marines rallied around Morgan to provide support.

GTDS

"Don't retreat, just reload"
Sarah Palin
EdTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:16   #11
Hour13
Tah-dah!

God bless our Marines.

I really needed that today, thank you OP. Funny how something like that can make you feel a little bit better about the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:19   #12
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Shark View Post
I think about this a lot. How I love technology and all of that stuff, but I would much rather have lived in the time where you could do that, where people treated people with respect. Even with a CCW, I have reservations about picking someone up. I am of the general nature to help people in need if I can. I would gladly drive someone home, if they wanted. Especially in the Florida heat. It truly is sad the world we live in.

Regards to the OP,

That was a very heart warming and feel good story.
Yup, I totally agree w/ everything you said. It's unfortunate, but it is the way things are.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01   #13
nursetim

Allergies making the words blurry. Up to standard for Marines.