Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-15-2012, 20:29   #1
railfancwb

Truth will out - "The Bell Curve" lives

Politically incorrect is not the same as wrong. A book entitled "The Bell Curve" was widely condemned because it made politically incorrect statements related to race and IQ. Now comes the Florida State Board of Education officially making essentially the same statements as part of its testing requirements.

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/10/12...cademic-goals/

And they are receiving the same condemnations vented upon the book and its authors.
Old 10-15-2012, 20:44   #2
devildog2067

a) That's not at all what "The Bell Curve" was about
b) 'Truth will out' doesn't make any sense at all
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 20:56   #3
GVFlyer

I read Herrnstein and Murray; it was an academic rather than a political endeavor. You need to be careful when assuming their intentions in writing The Bell Curve.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 21:01   #4
railfancwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
I read Herrnstein and Murray; it was an academic rather than a political endeavor. You need to be careful when assuming their intentions in writing The Bell Curve.
Agreed. They didn't make it political, others did. But the facts which they presented stubbornly remain facts.
Old 10-15-2012, 21:21   #5
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

left tail test...
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."

Last edited by Geko45; 10-16-2012 at 09:00..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:18   #6
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
a) That's not at all what "The Bell Curve" was about
b) 'Truth will out' doesn't make any sense at all
Perhaps "will" was supposed to be capitolized as a proper noun? Some guy named William is going to be outed by the truth, methinks. Let's face it; we ALL kinda knew Will was gay. The Bell Curve proves it.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:45   #7
frizz

"Truth will out" is Shakespeare.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:31   #8
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
Politically incorrect is not the same as wrong. A book entitled "The Bell Curve" was widely condemned because it made politically incorrect statements related to race and IQ. Now comes the Florida State Board of Education officially making essentially the same statements as part of its testing requirements.

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/10/12...cademic-goals/

And they are receiving the same condemnations vented upon the book and its authors.
There is a lot more to your fanciful wishes than space or time or care allows me to expound on. How about you attempt to educate YOURSELF first, before trying to feel better about yourself by looking down on others?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:47   #9
eracer
Where's my EBT?

If I was an intelligent young black man, I'd be jumping for joy, knowing that I was going to get better grades than my white classmates while doing the same amount of work, and testing at the same level.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:05   #10
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
If I was an intelligent young black man, I'd be jumping for joy, knowing that I was going to get better grades than my white classmates while doing the same amount of work, and testing at the same level.
This has nothing to do with grades. It isn't even an individual thing.

You don't understand the fundamental issue.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:15   #11
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizz View Post
This has nothing to do with grades. It isn't even an individual thing.

You don't understand the fundamental issue.
What is the fundamental issue?
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:32   #12
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Politically incorrect is not the same as wrong. A book entitled "The Bell Curve" was widely condemned because it made politically incorrect statements related to race and IQ.
Best I recall, however, The Bell Curve conclusions about race and IQ were condemend because people didn't want them to be true and it was bad - not because it was incorrect. There was a wealth of evidence of racial differences in IQ for decades before the Bell Curve and those 2 weren't the first sociologists to be condemend for pointing it out, even when relying on secondary research. So the irony is that Florida may have tailored a policy to reality that will not be acceptable because it requires people to accept reality.

Last edited by Bren; 10-16-2012 at 05:42..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:42   #13
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
...Now comes the Florida State Board of Education officially making essentially the same statements as part of its testing requirements.

Here is your wake up call.. FS Board of Ed does not make that statement. This is something you conjured up to support your perspective.

The reality is, black kids graduate HS at dismal rates. Hispanics fare a little better, Indian (India) and Oriental kids a lot better.

There is a country in the Caribbean with a population that is 90+ % black, and it's literacy rate is above that of the USA, Canada, Germany, Sweden, Ireland, Iceland, Switzerland, Denmark, Spain, China, Japan, S. Korea, India, Hungary, Australia, Belgium....etc.

They are consistently rated at between #4<>#12 depending on which charts you look at.

http://world.bymap.org/LiteracyRates.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._literacy_rate

How did Barbados manage to make you look like a fool? In 1834 when everyone else in the British Empire was figuring out what to with the soon to be emancipated slaves, those darkies in Barbados were taking advantage of the "superb educational system" in place there.

Fast forward to today, they are, in comparison to places like the USA that had 100+ years of entrenched systematic policies and laws at federal, state and local levels discriminating against, and prejudicial to "minorities" (some groups more than others), their society has been able to produce a greater pool (%) of folks ready to integrate into society.

But hey, stock up on stupid. It is after all your right.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:02   #14
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
And that you are better looking, good at basketball, sing better, and all the White women want to sleep with you.

You can also go free to any college, get several high salary cushy job offers to pick from, and your children will all grow up to be President.

You've got it made brother!
ithaca_deerslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:07   #15
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Best I recall, however, The Bell Curve conclusions about race and IQ were condemend because people didn't want them to be true and it was bad - not because it was incorrect. There was a wealth of evidence of racial differences in IQ for decades before the Bell Curve and those 2 weren't the first sociologists to be condemend for pointing it out, even when relying on secondary research. So the irony is that Florida may have tailored a policy to reality that will not be acceptable because it requires people to accept reality.
Do you really think high IQ is needed to graduate from high school? Or is it more a matter of turning in a half dozen homework assignments and showing up for class once in a while?

I don't see how any reasonably intelligent person could relate HS graduation rates to IQ.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 10-16-2012 at 06:08..
Old 10-16-2012, 06:09   #16
walt cowan

Quote:

damm, beat me to it.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:12   #17
walt cowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Do you really think high IQ is needed to graduate from high school? Or is it more a matter of turning in a half dozen homework assignments and showing up for class once in a while?

I don't see how any reasonably intelligent person could relate HS graduation rates to IQ.
same thing for phd's.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:18   #18
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt cowan View Post
same thing for phd's.
True that.

Just freaking make the changes the prof suggested, and get on with your life
Old 10-16-2012, 06:22   #19
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

The Florida board screwed up. Instead of stating separate goals defined by race, it should have done one of two things - separate goals defined by socioeconomic status, (so the Occupiers could scream about the downtrodden poor), or the smarter route, which would have been to say they want to increase the literacy rate/academic perfomance by the same percentage (say 5% per year) of every group they track, until they all reach 100%, thus satisfying the whole "equality" thing. Who could have argued with that? And it would have been THE SAME PLAN.

Because you know it's all in the spin, in this culture.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Last edited by Mrs.Cicero; 10-16-2012 at 06:23..
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:28   #20
Iron bottom

I had completely forgotten about Barbados. The leader in space exploration, the leader in agriculture, the leader in computer design and software, the leader in communications. I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore anyone.
Iron bottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18   #21
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron bottom View Post
I had completely forgotten about Barbados. The leader in space exploration, the leader in agriculture, the leader in computer design and software, the leader in communications. I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore anyone.

If this was a thread about those things Mr. Above Average IQ, then maybe your comment would have some relevance.

We are talking about high school education, and someone is trying to drag IQ into the equation.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:43   #22
Z71bill

Just MY opinion --

The Florida State Board of Education's new system has NOTHING to do with evaluating kids.

They are concerned that the TEACHERS will be rated poorly if a large % of the students don't "make the grade".

So this is just a way to lower the bar - FOR THE TEACHERS.

Set the bar low enough and any one can jump over it.

Is 70% of kids being able to read a WIN? It is if the acceptable standard was set at 60%.

------------------

But any way -- don't forget to include - THROUGH NO FAULT OF THIER OWN - in any discussion about lack of achievement in any protected class of people - it makes it politically correct because then you are blaming someone else.
Z71bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:35   #23
Iron bottom

Go down to the bottom of that list and read the fine print, Mr Blue Bottle Fly. "The ability to read and write at a specified age." I wonder why the specified age was not included in this list. Was it 8 yrs.? 28 yrs.? "There are no universal standards." WTF?
Iron bottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:52   #24
dango

Quote:

So's , you mean yon , txuxt and hither ...............?
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:54   #25
devildog2067

Quote:

Huh, so it is. I guess I don't read enough classical plays. Never did make it all the way through Merchant of Venice.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote