Old 10-14-2012, 19:19   #41
Reconinforce

Thanks Larry.
Reconinforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 23:27   #42
pureshot78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileMaker View Post
I was there last weekend and shot my brand new G26. Man, I was worn out after 3.5 days and left without taking the skills test. I knew I would never pass the malfunction test without practice. I'm going back in the spring better prepared. Also think I will take a larger framed gun like the G19.

I think the class was excellent and would recommend to anyone. The internet rumors almost scared me away, but I had a great experience.

Have fun.
I felt like the most challenging of the time pressures was the emergency reload.
Remember you'll already know which malfunction you are clearing during the test. Don't waste time during the clearance drill pretending you pulled the trigger just start the procedure.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
pureshot78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 23:29   #43
pureshot78

Oh and my father in law and I will be there for the 4 day class that ends on Veterans Day. If anyone else is going to be there we should get on the same range. Send me a PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 00:46   #44
glockenturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconinforce View Post
Anybody know if the skills test at the end requires the use of concealed draw with a cover garment? I know they have you practice some with a cover but not sure if that's part of the final test.

Thanks again for all the help.
Yes, the test is using a concealment garment. You don't practice "some", you practice alot!!

Bring the biggest gun you have, preferably with a hi capacity. A Glock 19 would be ideal. I did it with a 1911. Most instructors I had used them, but capacity can be limiting.

You will after four days understand why a G17 or G19 is considered a combat handgun used for gun fighting and is to be used as a carry gun and a Kahr CM9 is not to be considered either one. A 26 would be taxing as would a 30.

You will scoff at all these micro guns on the market and you will know how to properly carry, conceal, and use a proper fighting pistol. An LCP at the bottom of your cargo pockets does not do anything.

Message sent from Texas!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:08   #45
glockenturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
Not when I was there, but I think I remember that they do it at night for some classes. Not sure about that.

Please vote! It's that important!
You need a handheld light for the night shooting. One thing I took away from the night class is that I'll use the darkness to get away. I don't think turning on a light will do anything except make you a better target.

As to the shoot house, unless some loved one is in extreme danger, I don't plan on doing house clearing. That's what SWAT teams are for.

As per the Type 3 malfunction drills, do it their way for the class then when at home don't worry about locking slide back. Skip 1/3 of the steps.

Don't worry about practicing before you go. You will be taught everything you need to know and will practice until you want to quit.In fact, you don't want to reinforce bad habits.

Bring headache powders also.

Message sent from Texas!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:43   #46
Reconinforce

You guys have been very helpful and informative. Is there any sort of malf drill for the revolver guys? Other than shoot again.. . Wonder how many times the instructor thinks to himself "your gun will do but not with you" lol
Reconinforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 20:35   #47
garyjandfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockenturm View Post
You need a handheld light for the night shooting. One thing I took away from the night class is that I'll use the darkness to get away. I don't think turning on a light will do anything except make you a better target.

They don't do night shooting during the 4-day handgun any more. It was fun, but not that useful.

"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
garyjandfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 22:26   #48
pureshot78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconinforce View Post
You guys have been very helpful and informative. Is there any sort of malf drill for the revolver guys? Other than shoot again.. . Wonder how many times the instructor thinks to himself "your gun will do but not with you" lol
They will be professional, but if no one in the group has a revolver expect a snide comment or two.

Both reloads get a whopping 7.0 seconds. I assume that's because you have to do a compete reload from speed loader.

There are only type 1 malfunctions on revolvers right? Not sure how they score those.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine