SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:47   #21
pureshot78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconinforce View Post
Going in December. Working on malf drills as I have not done much of that previously. Any big difference between clearing type 1, type 2 malfunctions (front sight style)?
Type 1 is a click instead of a bang when pulling the trigger.
Tap, Rack, Flip then decide whether to shoot.

Type 2 is a dead trigger.
Look and move, you should see brass high in the ejection port. Tap, Rack, Flip then decide whether to shoot.

Type 3 is a dead trigger.
Look and move, you should see brass low in the ejection port. Check to see if you have another magazine. Lock the slide to the rear. Strip the magazine (retain it if you did not have another magazine when you checked), Rack, Rack, Rack, Index a magazine and insert. Rack to load, decide whether to shoot.

These are the front sight malfunction clearance procedures.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
pureshot78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:19   #22
MAC702

Tell these guys I sent you:

http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/

They set up at the highway outside of Front Site every morning with a truck full of ammo ordered by the students. FAA regulations only allow 11 pounds in your suitcase, and you can't bring reloads anyway, so it's just simpler to call these guys and have your ammo waiting for you.

I've done two classes at Front Sight: 4-day Defensive Handgun and 4-day Practical Rifle, the first was a gift, the second was a prize from an IDPA championship. Their methods are definitely tailored toward doing large groups at a time, but for those with little experience, you will come out a better shooter, and far more familiar with your firearm.

I used my everyday Kimber 1911, but Glocks are very well represented. If I was to take it with a Glock, it would be my Model 19.

"It doesn't matter how many people I've killed. What matters is how I get along with the people who are still alive." - Jimmy the Tulip
MAC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:17   #23
kashdaddy
Glockaholic

any quality firearm should work fine. you are going there to learn so whatever you take then you should gain skills.
G17, G19, G27, G22, G34, G35, G21, AR-15, AK-47, SKS, Mossberg, Benelli, Tec9, Mac10, Dan Wesson, Para Ordnance, Wilson Combat 1911, Kimber .45, S&W, Taurus, Hi-Point, HK, Springfield, CZ, .308 Sniper Rifle, .243 Deer Rifle, Kimber Rifle, Colt .22
kashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:41   #24
SouthpawG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
I'm taking Masaad's 2-day class in SC next month, armed with a Gen4 G19 and 30 loaded magazines.
Just 30????
Old 10-12-2012, 16:50   #25
Providence

My wife and I took the front sight 4 day handgun course a couple of years ago. I used my 26 and she used her 19. Both worked well. The instructor used a 17.

I bought Win. white box at a Wal Mart in Las Vegas. Had a few ff, but it gave us more opportunities to clear malfunctions under some stress.

A I'd like to say that it was a good experience for us.

Please vote! It's that important!
Georgia Club Member #106
Tactical Shotgun Club #58
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 17:52   #26
Reconinforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureshot78 View Post
Type 3 is a dead trigger.
Look and move, you should see brass low in the ejection port. Check to see if you have another magazine. Lock the slide to the rear. Strip the magazine (retain it if you did not have another magazine when you checked), Rack, Rack, Rack, Index a magazine and insert. Rack to load, decide whether to shoot.

These are the front sight malfunction clearance procedures.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

----Ok well that is good info. I was practicing type 3 without the locking the slide to the rear. Was just doing.. strip mag, rack, rack, rack, index mag/insert. Rack to load...

Wished I was not required to lock slide back as I was doing pretty good with the other style and the glock/lock will take some getting adjusted to under pressure..

----My other question/issue was do we drop mags on the ground during tactical reloads (at front sight school...) or are we required to retain them during the interchange. This will be my first trip there in case I did not explain earlier.
Trying to get some "perfect practice" in and do not want to have to change muscle memory a ton during the class..

I just hope to soak up as much as possible during the classroom/range time. Thanks guys! You have been very helpfull. And yes, I do need to pick up one of those reloaders.
Reconinforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 18:15   #27
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

With Emergency reloads you'll drop your mags on the deck. During Admin or Tac reloads you'll retain them in an offside pocket nowhere near your fully loaded mags.
Old 10-12-2012, 18:16   #28
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Front Sight’s motto is “Any Gun Will Do—If You Will Do.”
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 18:18   #29
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
http://www.frontsight.com/FirearmTra...ront-sight.asp
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 16:16   #30
SmileMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
I graduated the FS 4 Day Defensive Handgun course with a G26 and 10-round mags. So you should have no issues with a G19. Whenever you go up to the line to shoot, take all of your loaded mags and also dump a couple of handfuls of ammo in your pockets. Whenever you are not shooting, load your mags. Cargo pants or shorts are a good idea. Good luck. If you can practice your Level I, II, and III malfuction clearing drills before you go then you will be ahead of the game.
I was there last weekend and shot my brand new G26. Man, I was worn out after 3.5 days and left without taking the skills test. I knew I would never pass the malfunction test without practice. I'm going back in the spring better prepared. Also think I will take a larger framed gun like the G19.

I think the class was excellent and would recommend to anyone. The internet rumors almost scared me away, but I had a great experience.

Have fun.
SmileMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 16:30   #31
Reconinforce

I cant wait. Hear the shoot house is pretty cool.. Thanks for all the good info. Got my electronic ears in the mail now. Can't believe that I have been doing without the new tech all this time.
Old 10-13-2012, 19:27   #32
Providence

Quote:
I cant wait. Hear the shoot house is pretty cool.. Thanks for all the good info. Got my electronic ears in the mail now. Can't believe that I have been doing without the new tech all this time.
The shoot house was eye opening for me. Educational and eye opening - and not in a good way. After it, I'm not planning on doing any house clearing!

Everything there was professional, efficient, and well worth the time and money.

Georgia Club Member #106
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Old 10-13-2012, 20:06   #33
dakrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
The shoot house was eye opening for me. Educational and eye opening - and not in a good way. After it, I'm not planning on doing any house clearing!

Everything there was professional, efficient, and well worth the time and money.

I am guessing the shoot house was dark. would you recommend a weapon light?
Old 10-13-2012, 20:30   #34
Providence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
Not when I was there, but I think I remember that they do it at night for some classes. Not sure about that.

Georgia Club Member #106
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Old 10-13-2012, 21:07   #35
Larryect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
The shoot house has no roof. It's not dark. No need for weapon lights for a daytime class. They do have night classes.
Larryect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 13:13   #36
madAB

I haven't done any courses yet, but when I do, my G19 RTF2 is what I'm taking. I think the G19 is perfect for a handgun course. I hope you have a great time, and soak up a lot of information.
madAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 14:53   #37
t4terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorpinki View Post
Ammo has nothing to do with BTF. Poor design changes and lack of consistency in manufacturing processes does.

That said, you'll be fine. Good luck and have fun.
I read on the internets that it is caused by limp wristed people. What gives?
t4terrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 16:05   #38
Reconinforce

Anybody know if the skills test at the end requires the use of concealed draw with a cover garment? I know they have you practice some with a cover but not sure if that's part of the final test.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 10-14-2012, 16:19   #39
AJE
*goes to 11*

Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
I've attended a lot of Front Sight courses. You'll be just fine with your G19. My first course with them was using a SIG 228 with cheap Chinese ball ammo. No probs whatsoever. Naish Piazza, the director used to carry a G22, not sure what he's running these days.

Despite the above advice, Winchester White Box is very common out there and will run in your 19 just fine. No experience with BTF so I can't speak on that. Most importantly, bring drinks, sunscreen and snacks. I'd bring a band aid or two for your magazine reloading thumb too. It'll get a workout by the end of 4 days.
I would cancel if I wasn't allowed using my LULA.

General Glocking
Old 10-14-2012, 19:15   #40
Larryect

Quote:
Anybody know if the skills test at the end requires the use of concealed draw with a cover garment? I know they have you practice some with a cover but not sure if that's part of the final test.

Thanks again for all the help.
Yes, it's required if you want to be scored.
Larryect is offline   Reply With Quote