SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2012, 00:52   #61
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
A .22 can certainly kill someone. The Mossad, President Reagan, Robert F. Kennedy and others can certainly attest to that. I've personally seen 3-4 people killed with .22s.

Doesn't mean they're reliable. If it was the ONLY gun available? Sure, i'd use it. But if anything bigger was an option, that's what I'd use. I'd rather use a 10/22 and a 25 round mag though, better velocity.

Any rimfire is unreliable. That's the entire reason the .25 ACP (centerfire) exists.

And the original .22's for defense were back when ANY hit could kill you simply by infection.
my 317 is 100 percent with cci ammo.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:31   #62
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Doesn't bother me dude, it's YOUR life.

You willing to trust it'll be 100% when it really matters? In 150 years of people using rimfires, this isn't exactly a new issue. That's why centerfires came to be in the first place.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:04   #63
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrotx1 View Post
Is a 9mm ideal? yes. Can I convince my GF/Mother to shoot thousands of rounds of 9mm to become proficient? No. Can I convince them to do that with a .22? yes. Confidence is better than loading a gun and shooting it once a year then trusting your life to it.

I think many of this board feel it's ok to shoot a few hundred rounds of a caliber/gun combo and think they are prepared.

As for reliability, never had a misfire with CCI ammo out of any .22 revolver from SW.
I'm right there with you.

In fact, I'm leaving in an hour to go to my 71 year-old Mom's to take her to the range to test out my SR-22.

I got her an LCR but it was too much for her. She simply could not handle the recoil. And a heavier .38 revolver gave her problems as well. As for pistols like the Bodyguard or the LCP... I've shot those, and the recoil is ridiculously snappy for the slight advantage in terminal ballistics they offer (IMHO, of course.)

She was ready to give up on the idea of having a gun for SD, but I convinced her to try one of my .22's so that I could show her what light recoil felt like.

Ruger now makes an LCR chambered in .22 LR. She liked the light weight of the .38 LCR, and liked the trigger. I'm hoping that she will want to get an LCR chambered in .22, so that she will have a gun she can practice with and become comfortable with.

I'll see how she feels about the more complex pistol operation, but with the small amount of practice I anticipate her doing, I think a revolver with an internal hammer and a decent trigger pull is the way to go.

I've been strongly considering buying a S&W 351PD (.22 Mag) as a BUG. If I do, I'll let here shoot it before she decides on a .22 LR. I suspect the considerable muzzle blast will be tough for her, but I'd feel a lot better about her having to face an intruder with a .22 Mag in her hand.

If she can handle my 351PD I'd help her buy a 351C (internal hammer.)
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 10-13-2012 at 04:13..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:10   #64
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Quote:

You willing to trust it'll be 100% when it really matters? In 150 years of people using rimfires, this isn't exactly a new issue. That's why centerfires came to be in the first place.
How many of today's center-fire pistols are 100% reliable?

What's the failure rate of today's high-quality rimfire revolvers vs. today's high-quality center-fire pistols, when both are using quality factory ammo?

1 per 10,000 vs. 1 per 10,000? I don't know. And neither do you. (Or if you do, I'd like to see the data.)
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 10-13-2012 at 04:11..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:09   #65
deputy tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
I'm right there with you.

In fact, I'm leaving in an hour to go to my 71 year-old Mom's to take her to the range to test out my SR-22.

I got her an LCR but it was too much for her. She simply could not handle the recoil. And a heavier .38 revolver gave her problems as well. As for pistols like the Bodyguard or the LCP... I've shot those, and the recoil is ridiculously snappy for the slight advantage in terminal ballistics they offer (IMHO, of course.)

She was ready to give up on the idea of having a gun for SD, but I convinced her to try one of my .22's so that I could show her what light recoil felt like.

Ruger now makes an LCR chambered in .22 LR. She liked the light weight of the .38 LCR, and liked the trigger. I'm hoping that she will want to get an LCR chambered in .22, so that she will have a gun she can practice with and become comfortable with.

I'll see how she feels about the more complex pistol operation, but with the small amount of practice I anticipate her doing, I think a revolver with an internal hammer and a decent trigger pull is the way to go.

I've been strongly considering buying a S&W 351PD (.22 Mag) as a BUG. If I do, I'll let here shoot it before she decides on a .22 LR. I suspect the considerable muzzle blast will be tough for her, but I'd feel a lot better about her having to face an intruder with a .22 Mag in her hand.

If she can handle my 351PD I'd help her buy a 351C (internal hammer.)
Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm looking forward to a post range trip report.tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:12   #66
deputy tom

Yes in the past I've carried .22 pocket guns when nothing else was available or would hide as well. This was back before the pocket pistol .32/.380 revolution starting with the Seecamp and followed by kel-tec and others.tom.

ETA, OP good luck in your search. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

Last edited by deputy tom; 10-13-2012 at 06:14..
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:04   #67
Mr Wasabi
Sushi Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
I would consider carrying a pistol chambered in .22 WMR, but not .22 LR.
Yep. While I'd much rather have my XD-S or MK9 on me, and usually do, my little .22mag NAA PUG is better than nothing and is always in my pocket.

Last edited by Mr Wasabi; 10-13-2012 at 07:04..
Mr Wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:21   #68
rednoved
NRA Member

I'd rather have my tiny LCP. I would probably consider a two shot Derringer in .45 if I wanted something smaller.
rednoved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:32   #69
Darkangel1846

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300braveheart View Post
Does anyone here use a .22 semi-auto pistol for self defense, given how much more concealable it would be compared to a 9mm? In my opinion, 9mm is minimum, but is there a .22 that anyone likes? (i.e. spraying a bad guy with dozens of tiny bullets with low recoil in a self defense situation)
351PD
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
Old 10-13-2012, 12:37   #70
Providence

S&W make such pretty guns!

I know people who use .22 s for carry and HD, but I need 38 special or larger rounds. Even .22mag doesn't give me enough confidence for carry or HD. But if it works for you, go for it!

Please vote! It's that important!
Georgia Club Member #106
Tactical Shotgun Club #58
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 13:52   #71
Haldor
Retired EE

I am not a fan of .22 for self defense. Not so much because of the terminal ballistics of a .22 as the issue of dud rounds. Unless you soak your ammo in solvents center fire ammo is almost certain to fire. Rimfire is dependent on how much primer got spun under the rim. I have seen duds from virtually every brand of .22 LR I have fired. The only ammo I have never had problems with is CCI Mini-mags. Makes sense since Mini-mags cost twice as much.

In addition to that most .22 LR ammo is not sealed at all. It is very easy to spin the bullet in the case.

If you ignore the ammo reliability issue, then I think the Beretta 21A is a great choice. Perfect size for pocket carry. It is reliable, safe and easy to load and unload (tip up barrel). Surprisingly accurate too (considering the rudimentary sights). I use mine as a pocket gun when going for walks through the woods near my house (no bears or lions in my woods). Mine looks identical to this one (same grips and blued finish).

General Firearms Forum

If you decide to carry a .22 LR then I recommend you use CCI Mini-mags and replace your carry ammo on a regular basis.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.

Last edited by Haldor; 10-13-2012 at 13:55..
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 13:55   #72
Foxtrotx1

Quote:

Hey, nothing personal, just letting you know, .22 revolvers are reliable. Don't take it the wrong way.

Eagle Scout.

Last edited by Foxtrotx1; 10-13-2012 at 13:58..
Old 10-13-2012, 14:00   #73
Foxtrotx1

I would also like to add: arthritis is a *****. My mom suffers from arthritis to the point where recoil from a 9mm will leave her hand hurting the rest of the day. It's hard to get her to want to practice with that. .22 is no substitute for recoil control practice for a 9mm.

Eagle Scout.
Old 10-13-2012, 15:16   #74
Faulkner
Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
If you decide to carry a .22 LR then I recommend you use CCI Mini-mags and replace your carry ammo on a regular basis.
^^^ I agree. The .22 LR is a poor choice for SD, but if one does decide to do so, carry quality ammo just like you should with any center fire round.

I also think the hype about dud rounds with quality .22 LR ammo is overblown. I practice and train other officers a lot at our department range with .22 LR semi autos and we exeriance no more ammo failure than we do with practice center fire ammo in 9mm and .40 S&W.

Again, I don't endorse .22 LR for SD, but as far as ammo and firearm reliability I would readily trust my Walther P22 and Ruger SR22 and S&W 15-22 when using CCI mini mag or Stingers. Frankly, I've had no trouble with CCI Blazer ammo in .22 LR either and we shoot thousands of rounds of it a month in training exercises.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by Faulkner; 10-13-2012 at 15:18..
Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:05   #75
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

I agree that dud rounds in training ammo is not a problem, because it's an opportunity to practice malf drills.

Premium ammo (CCI Stingers) would be preferable for carry (as would a larger caliber)

"I was part of a 10-person team at the human genome project that weaponized diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire. Interdepartmental drinks were had, relationships made..."
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:54   #76
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrotx1 View Post
Hey, nothing personal, just letting you know, .22 revolvers are reliable. Don't take it the wrong way.
It's not the platform that's the worry for reliability...it's the cartridge itself. Rimfire ignition is not as reliable as centerfire, as has been stated.
method is offline   Reply With Quote