GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 14:38   #1
GunsNBibles

I'm sure you're all tired of my glock 27 malfunction questions, but...

Ok, so I have not test fired my glock since the misfire and failure to feed. To update for those who don't know, I shot 159 rounds of federal premium fmj from Walmart last week and had both a misfire and failure to feed. Misfire on first round after topping off, and FTF on last round of another magazine.

I recall removing the slide and inspecting the firearm when I first got it home. I then went on to try and reattach the slide and it wouldn't go back on. This concerned me, and at one point if was able to fenangle it on with a little force, but not much. Well my dumb ass was trying to get it on with the magazine (empty) still in the well. DUH! I then figured out why, I wonder if this caused a little damage when I forced it on and when I attempted and failed the other times.

---------------------------------------
Hey yutz. Guns aren't toys - - they're for family protection, hunting dangerous and delicious animals, and keeping the king of England out your face. -Krusty The Clown
GunsNBibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:41   #2
xrmattaz

Cannot imagine that having caused any damage whatsoever.
G17Gen4,G19,20SF,21SF,21Gen4,23Gen2,38,39
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 15:22   #3
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrmattaz View Post
Cannot imagine that having caused any damage whatsoever.
I agree ,with the magazine in it it just makes it very difficult. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 15:35   #4
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsNBibles View Post
Ok, so I have not test fired my glock since the misfire and failure to feed. To update for those who don't know, I shot 159 rounds of federal premium fmj from Walmart last week and had both a misfire and failure to feed. Misfire on first round after topping off, and FTF on last round of another magazine.

I recall removing the slide and inspecting the firearm when I first got it home. I then went on to try and reattach the slide and it wouldn't go back on. This concerned me, and at one point if was able to fenangle it on with a little force, but not much. Well my dumb ass was trying to get it on with the magazine (empty) still in the well. DUH! I then figured out why, I wonder if this caused a little damage when I forced it on and when I attempted and failed the other times.

Hey yutz. Guns aren't toys - - they're for family protection, hunting dangerous and delicious animals, and keeping the king of England out your face. -Krusty The Clown
Take this for whatever it's worth: Many years of shooting have taught me not to load any firearm to full magazine capacity +1. Now, MOST OF THE GLOCK JAMS I'VE HAD CAME FROM +1 LOADED PISTOLS. In the past ten years I've fired all of my Glocks, together, something like 50,000 times; but, yes, I've had a few similar semi-auto jams with other pistol manufactures.

If this is a new Glock you're complaining about, a few jams and magazine malfunctions are to be expected. Until you get past the first 300 rounds - and, ideally, past the first 500 - you shouldn't consider ANY PLASTIC FRAME PISTOL to be reliable.

There's nothing on either the slide or the frame that you might damage by trying to put the two together while a magazine is still in the frame. Your Glock is alright; your magazine, however, might or might not be.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:36   #5
glockout

I had a G27 with a failure to feed a couple of times, I polished the ramp and it has been running great for a few years.
glockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:56   #6
GunsNBibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockout View Post
I had a G27 with a failure to feed a couple of times, I polished the ramp and it has been running great for a few years.
Hey I know you glock out, well, I saw your post when doing a bing search (I don't use google since they stopped allowing guns to appear on their shopping pages) on my malfunction and found your post on another forum, or maybe it was this one, and you mentioned the polishing (I know because of your avatar) how exactly did you polish the the ramp?

Old 10-09-2012, 17:05   #7
GunsNBibles

Quote:
I this you by chance?

Old 10-09-2012, 18:59   #8
SCmasterblaster

That looks good! Nice polishing!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50   #9
glockout

That video isn't mine.
Have never used a dremel, I want to smooth the ramp rather than polish a too rough surface.

I take a rolled up piece of wet and dry sand paper (220 or 320) and lightly wet sand the ramp by hand. I don't use a lot of pressure, just enough to take off the high spots. You can use a dowel rod to keep the shape correct. Once it looks right I would use a very fine wet and dry (600-1000) and work it the same way.

I have some jewelers rouge if I want to pretty it up but frankly if making it smooth doesn't help it, polishing usually doesn't make it work any better. After I have shot a few mags out of the gun the ramp isn't very polished looking anyway.

Sometimes ramp smoothing helps and sometimes it doesn't. It helped my 27.

Last edited by glockout; 10-10-2012 at 11:55..
Old 10-10-2012, 15:43   #10
MNBud

Way too coarse !!

Quote:
That video isn't mine.
Have never used a dremel, I want to smooth the ramp rather than polish a too rough surface.

I take a rolled up piece of wet and dry sand paper (220 or 320) and lightly wet sand the ramp by hand. I don't use a lot of pressure, just enough to take off the high spots. You can use a dowel rod to keep the shape correct. Once it looks right I would use a very fine wet and dry (600-1000) and work it the same way.

I have some jewelers rouge if I want to pretty it up but frankly if making it smooth doesn't help it, polishing usually doesn't make it work any better. After I have shot a few mags out of the gun the ramp isn't very polished looking anyway.

Sometimes ramp smoothing helps and sometimes it doesn't. It helped my 27.
You are starting with much too coarse of paper,at the very most I would start with 600 grit and probably even start with Flitz or Simichrome, there is no feed ramp in existence that needs a starting grit of 220---period.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:31   #11
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

It's just my personal opinion, of course, but the polishing advice contained in this thread could easily cause your Glock to go fubar!

A LITTLE ramp polishing can be a good thing. '15 minutes' worth is, ....... insane! One other thing: Don't use anything made of grit to polish with. Use a polishing paste, instead. 45 to 60 seconds should be more than enough. (There really is such a thing as too high a polish on the ramp.)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 22:03   #12
glockout

I don't routinely do much if the guns shoot. Your gun may break in and be fine without any attention. If you decide to polish or smooth your ramp and start too fine you will be just polishing the tops of existing machine marks of an imperfect ramp. As mentioned, if you polish it with a dremel you might get waves. A friend brought his Ruger 22 over to show me his ramp polish. Was full of waves.

3 of my glocks have been fine, ramps still have a factory finish. My 27 had some inconsistent failures to load that went on for a couple of years maybe 400 rounds. It had been purchased used so I figured someone else unloaded it because of this problem. It looked like new.
Old 10-11-2012, 00:33   #13
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

I currently have 7 G27s,shoot the snot outta it.Run 5rnds per mag let the weapon work.Run 500rnds and then check reliability.If the problem persists talk ta a GT member,his name is Butch.He has forgot more about Glocks then I'll ever know.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.

Last edited by kirgi08; 10-11-2012 at 00:38..
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 17:07   #14
Gbannan

Recently added a Pearce grip extension. The gun ran perfectly before the grip extension was added. I've had 2 FTF in the last 70 rds. Im thinking its the mag or spring inside the mag. Dunno if I should go as far as polishing the feed ramp with some flitz. Thoughts?

The problems started as soon as the extension was added to the 27...
Gbannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:42   #15
MNBud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbannan View Post
Recently added a Pearce grip extension. The gun ran perfectly before the grip extension was added. I've had 2 FTF in the last 70 rds. Im thinking its the mag or spring inside the mag. Dunno if I should go as far as polishing the feed ramp with some flitz. Thoughts?

Is your Pearce extension a +0 or had you gained rounds? I have added +0 extensions to three 27 mags and not had any issues.
I actually have replaced even the longer Glock mag extensions on my SF 30 and the 36 with Pearce extensions because I like the appearance and feel of the Pearce better than the stock ones.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:40   #16
GunsNBibles

Quote:

It was either nutnfancy or hickok45 who said that the extension should not be gripped because it could cause a malfunction. Something about pushing the mag backwards. I have a +0 on mine and again, don't remember if that was the mag with the malfunctions, it might well have been.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:02   #17
Gbannan

It's the +0. I'll have to try not to put my pinky on there or push on it.

But that's the reason I got the extension; so I could have more control....Dunno
Gbannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 15:45   #18
scosgt

Quote:

You already diagnosed your own problem. Some people use a stiffer spring, the better cure is take off the extension. You need a gun that works 100% more than you need an extra round.
scosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 15:47   #19
scosgt

Quote:
It's the +0. I'll have to try not to put my pinky on there or push on it.

But that's the reason I got the extension; so I could have more control....Dunno
The +0 should not cause any problems. I have them on my G27, G26 and G30 with the 9 round mags, absolutely no problems.
scosgt is offline   Reply With Quote