GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 19:25   #1
The Wolverine
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 63
Made a tuckable IWB holster for my new Glock today-

From stuff I had laying around the house.

I had a sheet of kydex to replace the front switch panel on my bass boat, a slice of gas line for a belt loop spacer, and a 8-32 nut and bolt, used our toaster oven for the holster, and a hair dryer to form belt clip.

I should have taken more time, and done it when I was not already pissed off. I was supposed to be off work today, but the company I do work for has called and emailed me all day, over stupid crap that I can do nothing about from home. I needed to take a break from arguing with idiots, I know a onlooker could not tell the difference.

I was in a hurry before I got another phone call, and once the kydex was hot, I could not tell which was the smooth side, and which was the rough side, so I ended up making it with the smooth side out, DOH.

For a first time effort, I am happy how it turned out.

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Last edited by The Wolverine; 10-13-2012 at 12:14..
The Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:34   #2
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,366
For all you had going on that turned out well,nice job. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 20:15   #3
G-19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,237
Nice job
G-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 20:35   #4
lyodbraun
Senior Member
 
lyodbraun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,470
Nice work, well whats great about kydex is on another day when your not busy and or taking crap calls from work LOL... you can take that holster reheat it and turn it the other way around and re do it.. I tried to mess with kydx and just cant do it LOL...
lyodbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 21:24   #5
SCC
Member Me
 
SCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: kennesaw GA.
Posts: 9,172
Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
I have made a few it's fun stuff to work with ...


Carry Issues
Carry Issues
Carry Issues

Last edited by SCC; 10-05-2012 at 21:27..
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 00:47   #6
Spring Hill Glocker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 13
might want to put a tacticool black band aid over that screw or some mole skin from walmart nice work !
Spring Hill Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:22   #7
dhgeyer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 423
That's really good! I've never been 100% satisfied with any holster, but until I saw what you did it never occurred to me to make my own. What a great idea!

Where do you get Kydex in sheets like that? Did you just heat it up and form it around your gun? How hot? I have GOT to try this. Please tell me everything I need to know to get started. I've never worked with Kydex.

I don't think I'll build a tuckable. I have one for my CW9, but I don't use it as a tuckable. I'm not built right for one I guess. The gun, even that little gun, sticks out like a sore thumb if I tuck my shirt in over it. And then, of course, there's the struggle to untuck my shirt to get at the gun. I'm sure they work well for some people, but I'll make a simple IWB.
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:39   #8
The Wolverine
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 63
Thanks Guys I appreciate your positive comments.

SCC, yours make mine look like a toy, awesome definition.

Spring Hill Glocker, that screw is ugly, but all I had handy, I am going to get some black ones, maybe some black Chicago screws.

dhgeyer, there are a bunch of videos on youtube. A buddy gave me the Kydex, but knifekits.com has it, and hardware.

I have never worked with kydex either, just popped it into the toaster oven, and watched it until it started to sag between bars on the rack. Yep, just wrapped it around the gun, used a towel to press it tight to the gun until it cooled. I did not have any foam to make a press out of, to get definition like SCC has on his, you have to use foam.

I already want to make some changes, the back needs to be higher than the front to make it easier to re-holster when you are wearing it. It probably needs the clip to be in the middle or another clip in front to stop it from tipping forward when you undo your pants, I sure would not want to have it flop onto the floor in a public bathroom.

Also, the rough side in seems like it will wear the finish on the gun, need to get that right next time.

This was a spur of the moment deal, I only watched part of one video before I thought "I can do that" and jumped up and dove in, I have watched several videos afterwards and learned a lot, and can not wait to make another one.

Last edited by The Wolverine; 10-06-2012 at 06:05..
The Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:24   #9
SCC
Member Me
 
SCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: kennesaw GA.
Posts: 9,172
Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolverine View Post
Thanks Guys I appreciate your positive comments.

SCC, yours make mine look like a toy, awesome definition.

Spring Hill Glocker, that screw is ugly, but all I had handy, I am going to get some black ones, maybe some black Chicago screws.

dhgeyer, there are a bunch of videos on youtube. A buddy gave me the Kydex, but knifekits.com has it, and hardware.

I have never worked with kydex either, just popped it into the toaster oven, and watched it until it started to sag between bars on the rack. Yep, just wrapped it around the gun, used a towel to press it tight to the gun until it cooled. I did not have any foam to make a press out of, to get definition like SCC has on his, you have to use foam.

I already want to make some changes, the back needs to be higher than the front to make it easier to re-holster when you are wearing it. It probably needs the clip to be in the middle or another clip in front to stop it from tipping forward when you undo your pants, I sure would not want to have it flop onto the floor in a public bathroom.

Also, the rough side in seems like it will wear the finish on the gun, need to get that right next time.

This was a spur of the moment deal, I only watched part of one video before I thought "I can do that" and jumped up and dove in, I have watched several videos afterwards and learned a lot, and can not wait to make another one.
thank you !!!
and yes foam is the key !!! and i'm very new at the game ..
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:39   #10
SCC
Member Me
 
SCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: kennesaw GA.
Posts: 9,172
Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer View Post
That's really good! I've never been 100% satisfied with any holster, but until I saw what you did it never occurred to me to make my own. What a great idea!

Where do you get Kydex in sheets like that? Did you just heat it up and form it around your gun? How hot? I have GOT to try this. Please tell me everything I need to know to get started. I've never worked with Kydex.

I don't think I'll build a tuckable. I have one for my CW9, but I don't use it as a tuckable. I'm not built right for one I guess. The gun, even that little gun, sticks out like a sore thumb if I tuck my shirt in over it. And then, of course, there's the struggle to untuck my shirt to get at the gun. I'm sure they work well for some people, but I'll make a simple IWB.
go here !! lot of great info on this site for you
http://www.kydexforum.com/index.php
i'm scc on there to
and look on youtube for this guy PhillyEDC he's the guy that got me in to all this
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 14:33   #11
armycook
Senior Member
 
armycook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arlington, Tx.
Posts: 195
re:Holster

I made one myself...

Last edited by armycook; 01-29-2013 at 12:29..
armycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 18:11   #12
dhgeyer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCC View Post
go here !! lot of great info on this site for you
http://www.kydexforum.com/index.php
i'm scc on there to
and look on youtube for this guy PhillyEDC he's the guy that got me in to all this
Thanks! I'll check those links.
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 22:18   #13
SCC
Member Me
 
SCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: kennesaw GA.
Posts: 9,172
Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer View Post
Thanks! I'll check those links.
you will enjoy it !!
you can buy most of the tools from Harbor Freight
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:29   #14
SCC
Member Me
 
SCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: kennesaw GA.
Posts: 9,172
Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
my press !!!
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:01   #15
Two Guns
VIP MEMBER
 
Two Guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by armycook View Post
I made one myself...
Now that is sweet. Are you going to sell any?
__________________
Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!
Two Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:50   #16
SCC
Member Me
 
SCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: kennesaw GA.
Posts: 9,172
Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Guns View Post
Now that is sweet. Are you going to sell any?
and how much do you want for them
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:28   #17
The Wolverine
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCC View Post
my press !!!
IMG 0483
No wonder how you got that awesome definition, that press is sweet.

What is that on top of press with hairdryer sticking out of it? gun warmer?
The Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 14:38   #18
JW1178
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,985
Nice. Just saved a ton of money there.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 16:26   #19
SCC
Member Me
 
SCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: kennesaw GA.
Posts: 9,172
Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolverine View Post
No wonder how you got that awesome definition, that press is sweet.

What is that on top of press with hairdryer sticking out of it? gun warmer?
thats it !! I put it in the press and it keeps the gun & foam all nice and warm till i'm ready to press .. about ( 110 deg)

Last edited by SCC; 10-11-2012 at 16:29..
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:17   #20
The Wolverine
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 63
I did not mind the smooth side out, but felt like the rough side was rubbing to much on the gun.

Redid it today with rough side out, after wearing it for a week I realized the clip needed to have two screws to stop it from shifting, made a longer clip so it would have room for two screws. Also flared the top a little to make re-holstering easier.

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues
The Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 850
233 Members
617 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42