Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-10-2012, 20:02   #1
flw

Need storage for extra barrel

I have a additional barrel for my G23 and now I have no good way to protect which ever is not in use. The new one from, Storm Lake, came in a plastic pouch wrapped in wax paper so that is not a option.

What can I store a barrel in that would be suitable to take to and from the range?

Thank you.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:23   #2
Ronbars

This is far from the "coolest" solution, but one of those plastic capsules that you put your toothbrush into when traveling came to mind as soon as I read this. Not sure what that says about me, but there you go...
Ronbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:35   #3
samuse

Wrap it in a paper towel and toss it in your bag.

They're not very delicate.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:35   #4
caponec2

um anything..
caponec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:59   #5
flw

I shoot at a outdoor range and would prefer it one of the barrels didn't drop out of my gun carrier and onto the gravel.

Its rolled up in a paper towel and stored in my glock case now but would like something more protective if it were to fall out.

The travel tooth brush holder is worth checking out for lack of a better choice.

Thanks
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:02   #6
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
I shoot at a outdoor range and would prefer it one of the barrels didn't drop out of my gun carrier and onto the gravel.

Its rolled up in a paper towel and stored in my glock case now but would like something more protective if it were to fall out.

The travel tooth brush holder is worth checking out for lack of a better choice.

Thanks
I have 3 LWD barrels, and that's basically what they came in.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:04   #7
FNFAN

I'd suggest a clamshell style glasses case or just a ziploc baggie rolled up. Plenty padding if it's dropped.
FNFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 22:15   #8
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

A glasses case is a great idea (WalMart). I've also used a clear plastic tube with end caps that are for sale at Home Depot. They kinda look like the tubes banks used to use in their drive-thrus. My only barrel cane from KKM in a nice rigid plastic tube and that's all I've ever used. You'll be ok with pretty much anything.
Old 10-10-2012, 22:44   #9
WheelGunFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
A glasses case is a great idea (WalMart). I've also used a clear plastic tube with end caps that are for sale at Home Depot. They kinda look like the tubes banks used to use in their drive-thrus. My only barrel cane from KKM in a nice rigid plastic tube and that's all I've ever used. You'll be ok with pretty much anything.
This is what I do for my Sig barrel. I have a crown royal purple bag I got free from the local liqour store I first put it in bag then I drop it into an sunglass case i got at Target/Wal-mart.

Many bore cleaning rods come in a plastic tube and they are perfect size as well. My brother cut his down and can still use the cap.
WheelGunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 00:53   #10
et45

how bout a sock,it aint like it's gonna break if you drop it
et45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:10   #12
cookselk

LWD shipped the barrels that I received from them in a square tube that separated in the middle and with caps on each end. The middle of the tubes had some ribs or teeth on them to allow them to "lock" together for storing the barrel.

My friend works at a large machine shop and they receive their cutting bits in similar containers. He was able to find a few for me to store my extra Glock and Storm Lake barrels in. They were just for shipping and they were throwing them away otherwise.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:39   #13
GaryC

I like these

http://www.borestores.com/order_onli...s&prod_id=5100
GaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09   #14
ron59
Bustin Caps

If you have stuff "falling" out of your gun bag.... you have the wrong gun bag.

Because if that's really the case, I'd be more worried about something falling out and me not seeing it (and losing it) than something getting damaged.

Heck, assuming you HAD it in some plastic tube.... if you wanted to swap it out mid-session and then DROPPED it (just as likely to happen as it "falling" out)? You're in the same situation.

Get a tube for it if you want, but sounds like you're way overthinking this.

Quote:
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:26   #15
HEXE9
Shootin' Fool

Bosch drill bit tubes work great for extra barrels. Ask at your local contractor's tool shop and they'll give you a few for free.

General Glocking
Old 10-11-2012, 09:37   #16
ADK_40GLKr

In one compartment of my range bag, I keep my 9mm LWD barrel in it's square plastic tube and my 9mm mags; OR .40 depending on which I'm shooting. That way all my parts for the conversion are together.

Or how about: roll a piece of light cardboard and stick 2 straight sided pill bottles over the ends, & hold together with a rubber band if you don't have the box.

(Another reason to buy LWD. )
Old 10-11-2012, 09:41   #17
Solscud007

Not sure if it will fit, but when I played Airsoft I found the tubes for mini m&m's to be perfect for a hi cap mag worth of bbs.

http://www.candywarehouse.com/assets...age-127481.jpg

I think it might be big enough for a barrel. They are water tight and made of abs plastic. You know they are food safe since they put candy in it.
Solscud007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12   #18
The Wolverine

Drill bit holder, I use it for my knife sharpening bulbs, google Jacobs, they will probably sell you a couple cheap, or check local machine shops, they probably have some laying around.

General Glocking
General Glocking
The Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote