Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 19:47   #1
Slick109r

Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 compact

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with both the XDm 3.8 9mm and the XDm 3.8 .45acp. Which do you like better? how is the recoil with this pistol when chambered in .45acp? I have decided I want this pistol for CC, I just don't know which caliber I want. I wanted to say that I am also eventually getting a full size 9mm combat handgun for the house/range and any tactical courses. Thought being that I will have a handgun in each caliber if I go with the .45acp.

Thoughts on this gun in either caliber?

Opinions welcome!

Thanks!
Slick109r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:59   #2
Magus
Deo Vindice

I owned the 3.8 in 45ACP. It's a great gun and the recoil is very manageable. It honestly didn't feel like I was shooting .45 in a handgun of this size. Has a pretty stout recoil spring that helps quite a bit.

For me though, I didn't like it for concealed carry, I found it to be too bulky. Don't like the cocking serrations on the XDm's. I think they're made more to look "cool" rather than to be functional. My fingers kept slipping off of them. Traded mine out for something that suits me better. I'm just not a polymer fan anymore...but if I was I'd own a Springfield...they're good stuff.

Gun performed flawlessly though with a variety of ammo and was absurdly accurate.

They'd be my polymer frame of choice if I still owned one. Owned many Glock's the years, I think the XD/XDM line is much nicer honestly. That's me though, opinions will vary.

If you're in to this type of pistol, you'll probably love it and can't go wrong. Even in the off chance you have an issue with it, Springfield has unmatched customer service and stand behind their product.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 17:46   #3
eddy t

xdm compact 45

i just bought an xdm compact 45 and love it.
no issues with a variety of ammo in over 350 rounds.
i previously had a G36 and sold it. the xdm is far superior imo.
i believe the recoil is less with the xdm and i also shoot the xdm better.
eddy t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 19:05   #4
bac1023

I always prefer 9mm, but I like the XDm platform in any caliber.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 19:11   #5
MAC702

I can only relate that the new XD(s) single-stack .45 is unbelievable comfortable to shoot. I was very surprised. I thought it was much better than my friend's Glock 36 that I almost bought.

While the grip angle is just different on the bigger models, I think it made a difference in shootability between the skinny .45's.

This gun has replaced several as my go-to auxiliary carry piece, after my EDC 1911.

Yes, I love my Glocks, too; don't think I just be hatin'...

"It doesn't matter how many people I've killed. What matters is how I get along with the people who are still alive." - Jimmy the Tulip
MAC702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 19:22   #6
Queen Bee

MAC i also bought the XDS, and yes its a beautiful gun to shoot regular WWB 230gr ammo. i shot it with Federal HST 230 +P. and all i can say is that gun hurt my hand so bad it was shooting a lightweight 357 mag revolver.. ouch ..

shot my friends fullsize XD45, and it was alot easier on the hands. i can only think the XDM 3.8 will be in the middle with +P defensive rounds

ended up selling the XDS in favor of a soon to be owned shield 9mm.
Queen Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 15:27   #7
Slick109r

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy t View Post
i just bought an xdm compact 45 and love it.
no issues with a variety of ammo in over 350 rounds.
i previously had a G36 and sold it. the xdm is far superior imo.
i believe the recoil is less with the xdm and i also shoot the xdm better.
Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I always prefer 9mm, but I like the XDm platform in any caliber.

Thanks for chiming in, Bac. Can I ask why you prefer the 9mm over any other caliber? I have nothing against the round personally, I just think it would be best to CC a .45 as to me it is the better defensive round, where as the 9mm is the better offensive round.
Old 12-06-2012, 21:52   #8
bootman

I just bought my second XDM 9mm. I traded the first one for a Glock 19. Never do that again. The XDM is a little chunky but really only 2 oz heavier than a G19 fully loaded. Feels heavier though..It is just not my kind of EDC gun but will work going out to a movie or other short trips. I will keep this one. With the long mag it would be awsome...
bootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 14:24   #9
bootman

I took the XDM 9mm to the local indoor range today and it performed perfect...First three went into almost the same hole at 8 yds. Excellent trigger and no sore trigger finger like with Glock! low recoil and it will be a keeper...19 rd mag is great....I also fired a new Ruger LC9 and have no complaints about it either...

Last edited by bootman; 12-07-2012 at 14:27..
Old 12-08-2012, 11:30   #10
Slick109r

I went with the 9mm. I haven't had a chance to shoot this particular gun, but I did rent one at the range and I shot it a lot better than the G19 (Can't get over the stock Glock triggers.) I am happy with my decision, and I can't wait to shoot it!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:54   #11
BuzznRose

I bought an XDm 3.8 9mm for my daughter who didn't like shooting our Glock 19's. Big Mistake--now my wife wants one over her G19! And it caused me to sell my G21 and buy an XDm 4.5 in .45 ACP.

Still have several Glocks, but the XDm is a very nice shooting platform!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 12-08-2012, 12:04   #12
bootman

Glock talk may kick me off here but the XDM compact has the G19 beat all around..go with the XDM 9mm compact...
Old 12-08-2012, 16:26   #13
Slick109r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznRose View Post
I bought an XDm 3.8 9mm for my daughter who didn't like shooting our Glock 19's. Big Mistake--now my wife wants one over her G19! And it caused me to sell my G21 and buy an XDm 4.5 in .45 ACP. Still have several Glocks, but the XDm is a very nice shooting platform!

That's awesome! I'm willing to bet those Glocks are gonna get a bit dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman View Post
Glock talk may kick me off here but the XDM compact has the G19 beat all around..go with the XDM 9mm compact...

I agree, I like it better! I purchased it a few days ago, but I love the glock talk forum over Xd talk, and I do like glock- I just shoot the SA guns better.
Old 12-08-2012, 22:36   #14
BuzznRose

[QUOTE=Slick109r;19713761]That's awesome! I'm willing to bet those Glocks are gonna get a bit dusty

I still shoot the Glocks, but they do have to "share the love" with the XDm

Old 12-11-2012, 16:02   #15
Slick109r

So I finally got out early this morning to shoot my new XDm 3.8 9mm and my pops' Xds.

LOVE them both! Very happy with my decision.
Old 12-12-2012, 00:58   #16
TSAX
USAF Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick109r View Post
So I finally got out early this morning to shoot my new XDm 3.8 9mm and my pops' Xds.

LOVE them both! Very happy with my decision.
Congrats, the XDM 9mm compact is great, one of my favorite 9mm's, enjoy and I cant to try the XDs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:18   #17
ctfireman

If you are going to get a full size 9mm regardless then i would definitely get the xdm in .45.

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
ctfireman is offline   Reply With Quote