SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-17-2012, 21:55   #1
Cole125
Silver Membership

Aimpoint+magnifiers, opinions?

Fellows, I have been thinking about getting a magnifier to put behind my Aimpoint Pro. I've never used such a set up and would like to get your opinions on the use of a magnifier with a Aimpoint. Likes? Dislikes? Thoughts? And pics are always welcome.

I was originally thinking about getting a Aimpoint magnifier and mount package from LaRue. In another thread I learned about the 3x magnifier Primary Arms offers and that looks like a cost effective package. Any real world difference between the PA magnifier and Aimpoint?

Last edited by Cole125; 10-18-2012 at 19:44..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 22:22   #2
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

For range use, little difference, for real world, the aimpoint will hold up better with better optical quality.

a magnifier isnt as good as a real scope but it adds significant flexibility to a guy with a red dot.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 22:34   #3
vrex

Keep in mind, with the Aimpoint, the dot will be magnified 3x as well, making benefits to precision negligible. The Eotech because of holography, stays the same (1 moa center dot) and lends itself to better precision in said set-up.

There was a time I thought a micro aimpoint and aimpoint magnifier would be the ultimate combination...till I had it, and sold the magnifier shortly after. Adds a lot of weight up top, bad eye relief, for just a little benefit.

For the cost of the aimpoint magnifier and a good mount you can get a heck of a 1-4 scope and mount, or be halfway to an acog....and still have your Aimpoint.

Also, the PA magnifier, if you get their "higher end" one is "good enough" and will let you see if you like that kind of set-up for a fraction of the cost. it's not ther Aimpoint mag, but not junk by any means either. None of their stuff is. I recently tried their 3x compact scope and I am quite impressed.

Last edited by vrex; 10-17-2012 at 22:38..
vrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 23:16   #4
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

I've got an aimpoint magnifier one one gun and a Primary Arms magnifier on another gun, both seem very similar, and while I have the feeling the aimpoint will hold up better if it's taking a beating jumping in and out of a HMMWV and bouncing stuff off of walls I don't plan to do that anymore in my current life so I'm not too concerned about it.

I prefer them to regular scopes on that type of gun because you can flip 'em away and use a straight red dot without issue or having to adjust magnification.

Last edited by Snaps; 10-17-2012 at 23:18..
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 23:18   #5
Cole125
Silver Membership

Thanks for the input. I am really thinking about giving the set up a shot with the Primary Arms magnifier. If I don't like it, fortunately I'm only out two bills instead of almost seven with the LaRue package.
Old 10-17-2012, 23:21   #6
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
I prefer them to regular scopes on that type of gun because you can flip 'em away and use a straight red dot without issue or having to adjust magnification.
This is what attracts me to the setup. Can flip back to 1x without zero eye relief issues of a 1-4x scope, plus you can use BUIS if you need them.
Old 10-17-2012, 23:32   #7
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
This is what attracts me to the setup. Can flip back to 1x without zero eye relief issues of a 1-4x scope, plus you can use BUIS if you need them.
I've got the Larue mount on my aimpoint instead of the aimpoint twist off you just pull it back and push it off to the side.

Very quick and very easy
Old 10-18-2012, 08:32   #8
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

I have a PA and an EoTech magnifier. The Clarity and eye relief of the PA leaves a lot to be desired but it has served it's purpose well on my hog gun used weekly for ~3 years. since the PA was 1/4 the cost of the ET I don't mind beating it up in the brush, and it's tough enough to take it. I understand that PA now has a "long eye relief" magnifier out. Just understand that with the PA magnifier you aren't getting Zeiss quality glass.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:30   #9
bmoore

The new package fro Primary arms is supposed to have a longer eye relief and be a much better magnifier. I would like to try one of these soon, the ADM mount looks nice as well. I know that when it comes to optics quality is key but I just can't justify 5-600 dollars for a magnifier. I think you will be happy with the PA package, give us a report on it when you get it.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:20   #10
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

I've been using the LaRue Po' Boy setup for a few years. It's a LaRue flip mount with a Hensoldt 2.5x magnifier. Don't know if you can get 'em anymore, but there pretty sturdy. I was always planning to get the Aimpoint Magnifier but never got around to it and don't use it enough to justify the cost for clarity increase.
Old 10-18-2012, 13:56   #11
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

The Po Boy is long gone, they were a one time deal. As of 2009 they were already long dried up. I found the Micro + mag to be a very fast setup. The new 2 moa model is even better.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 15:18   #12
K. Foster

First, let me say there’s nothing wrong with that set up, if it works for you. It is not optimal for me. I don’t like how the gun balances and swings with the magnifier flipped to the side. Also, some flip mounts do not lock in the flipped down position, allowing it to bounce around. If you are going to go that way, I recommend the Larue mount (I know, big surprise.). I prefer the twist off mounts but then you have to insure the magnifier is with the gun.
With the Aimpoint magnifiers you get a sharper image. This is more evident in low light. However, when you factor in cost, PA is “good enough” at a fraction of the price.
Personally, if I need magnification, I go with a low power variable. Yes, it’s more eye relief particular and slightly slower at close range, but everything’s a trade off. That’s why my close range carbine has an Aimpoint and my GP gun has a 1.5-6 Weaver Euro.
Old 10-18-2012, 19:38   #13
cowboy1964

What is the intended use? For me a magnifier or variable scope is a range toy. For a self-defense AR a dedicated red-dot is ideal (for me that's an EOTech). I want every split second advantage.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 19:49   #14
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
The new package fro Primary arms is supposed to have a longer eye relief and be a much better magnifier. I would like to try one of these soon, the ADM mount looks nice as well. I know that when it comes to optics quality is key but I just can't justify 5-600 dollars for a magnifier. I think you will be happy with the PA package, give us a report on it when you get it.
If/when I order one of the new PA magnifiers, I will post a review. I too believe in buying once, and getting good optics, but yeah $600 for a range toy I might or might not like is pushing my gun budget.

Last edited by Cole125; 10-18-2012 at 19:49..