GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 11:53   #61
PrecisionRifleman
Senior Member
 
PrecisionRifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
I would like to see the 10mm version of this bad boy tested. 155 grains at 1270 (as chronographed by doc).
I can get 1300fps with the 155XTP using a Max load of longshot in 40s&w according to the Hornady manual. Im going to test the longshot next week for accuracy. In the 10mm you can go faster, but 1300fps is really smoking from a 40. with a 155gr.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
PrecisionRifleman

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:24   #62
4949shooter
Senior Member
 
4949shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Jersey Republik
Posts: 13,258


Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman View Post
I can get 1300fps with the 155XTP using a Max load of longshot in 40s&w according to the Hornady manual. Im going to test the longshot next week for accuracy. In the 10mm you can go faster, but 1300fps is really smoking from a 40. with a 155gr.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Rifleman,

i agree. Having corresponded with Hornady regarding their 10mm ammo, it's obvious they don't want to load it too hot. They are being conservative with their loads, which is no doubt a liability issue for them. 155 at 1300 would be great!
__________________
"...the men under your command deserve your leadership."-OXCOPS

Last edited by 4949shooter; 10-13-2012 at 12:24..
4949shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 14:20   #63
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman View Post
I can get 1300fps with the 155XTP using a Max load of longshot in 40s&w according to the Hornady manual. Im going to test the longshot next week for accuracy. In the 10mm you can go faster, but 1300fps is really smoking from a 40. with a 155gr.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Do you use reloads for CCW? I don't.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 18:16   #64
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa
 
Zombie Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Old Colorado City
Posts: 19,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Do you use reloads for CCW? I don't.
I never recommend people use reloads for their carry ammunition, because for all I know, their reloads suck... but it works for me.

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:20   #65
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
Rifleman,

i agree. Having corresponded with Hornady regarding their 10mm ammo, it's obvious they don't want to load it too hot. They are being conservative with their loads, which is no doubt a liability issue for them. 155 at 1300 would be great!
XTP's don't need a lot of velocity to expand. They seem to have a fragile nose that opens easily. Their limited expansion comes from the stiff core using a harder lead alloy. This gives them a good combination of reliable expansion and deep penetration without extreme velocities. They aren't the only bullet capable of this, but they are one of them for sure. Most Hornady loads are loaded at modest velocities because the company doesn't see any advantage to driving them faster.

Take their 124 9mm load. It runs about 1100fps. They can easily be driven to 1250 with a non+P load of Unique. I've loaded and chrono'd them and my numbers match Stephen A. Camp's results, so it's no special ragged edge loading to get that velocity with that bullet. I'm sure many other powders would give the same results. So Hornady could very easily drive the bullet 150fps faster without any liability issues, they just don't see the need for it.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:29   #66
PrecisionRifleman
Senior Member
 
PrecisionRifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Do you use reloads for CCW? I don't.
I have been carrying handloaded 155XTPs with BlueDot @ 1150fps. Very accurate. More accurate than my Golddot 180's so I switched a few weeks ago.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
PrecisionRifleman

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:30   #67
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Take their 124 9mm load. It runs about 1100fps. They can easily be driven to 1250 with a non+P load of Unique. I've loaded and chrono'd them and my numbers match Stephen A. Camp's results, so it's no special ragged edge loading to get that velocity with that bullet. I'm sure many other powders would give the same results. So Hornady could very easily drive the bullet 150fps faster without any liability issues, they just don't see the need for it.
A couple of other experienced GT members who used to post here verified that the 9mm XTP bullet retained its integrity at the velocity you mention, and a lot of other contributors have attested to the durability of this particular Hornady bullet.

I'd really like to see tnoutdoors9 test the Fiocchi 115-grain Extrema XTP round that one GT member chronoed at an honest 1230 fps. I carry this in my small CCW pistol and although I can't vouch for any statistics I can say it's the most accurate round I've found for this pistol.
__________________
Rocket Scientist
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:42   #68
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
.40 S&W, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman View Post
I have been carrying handloaded 155XTPs with BlueDot @ 1150fps. Very accurate. More accurate than my Golddot 180's so I switched a few weeks ago.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
BlueDot is a great powder!
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:40   #69
4949shooter
Senior Member
 
4949shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Jersey Republik
Posts: 13,258


Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
XTP's don't need a lot of velocity to expand. They seem to have a fragile nose that opens easily. Their limited expansion comes from the stiff core using a harder lead alloy. This gives them a good combination of reliable expansion and deep penetration without extreme velocities. They aren't the only bullet capable of this, but they are one of them for sure. Most Hornady loads are loaded at modest velocities because the company doesn't see any advantage to driving them faster.

Take their 124 9mm load. It runs about 1100fps. They can easily be driven to 1250 with a non+P load of Unique. I've loaded and chrono'd them and my numbers match Stephen A. Camp's results, so it's no special ragged edge loading to get that velocity with that bullet. I'm sure many other powders would give the same results. So Hornady could very easily drive the bullet 150fps faster without any liability issues, they just don't see the need for it.
You are probably right, Wisky. Same with Corbon 10mm ammo, I believe.
__________________
"...the men under your command deserve your leadership."-OXCOPS
4949shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:15   #70
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
You are probably right, Wisky. Same with Corbon 10mm ammo, I believe.
I fully endorse Corbon ammo.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:59   #71
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
Well, when speaking of the .45ACP, it has more than enough size and weight to make up for it's slower speed. However the .357sig has more than enough speed to make up for it's lack of size and weight.
I can add about 5 people in this thread to the list of people perpetuating the myth that .45 acp is big and slow. It has benefited from modern ammo advancements just like every other caliber. It just ain't slow any more. Slower than most calibers, yes. But not slow.

165 gr. @ 1225 fps
185 gr @ 1200 fps
200 gr @ 1080 fps
230 gr @ 1000 fps
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 15:34   #72
ABNAK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
I can add about 5 people in this thread to the list of people perpetuating the myth that .45 acp is big and slow. It has benefited from modern ammo advancements just like every other caliber. It just ain't slow any more. Slower than most calibers, yes. But not slow.

165 gr. @ 1225 fps
185 gr @ 1200 fps
200 gr @ 1080 fps
230 gr @ 1000 fps
Those gotta be handloads. If not, who makes them?
__________________
"...there's a man with a gun over there, tellin' me I got to beware..."

11C2P '83-'87
ABNAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 16:39   #73
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
Those gotta be handloads. If not, who makes them?
Corbon Pow'R Ball (165gr @ 1225 fps)
Underwood Ammo (185gr @ 1200 fps)
Speer Gold Dot (200gr @ 1080 fps)
Underwood Ammo (230gr @ 1000 fps)

If you are still under the impression that all .45 acp loads are 230gr @ 850 fps, you probably need JustForMen beard dyes.

In addition, there are the Hornady Tap 200gr @ 1050 fps and a slew of 185gr offerings on the market in the 1100-1150 fps range.

Sorry, reality strikes again...

Last edited by WinterWizard; 10-15-2012 at 16:41..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 17:37   #74
bdcremer
The No SpinZone
 
bdcremer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Outside the Fruit Loop, GA
Posts: 538
A couple years back tnoutdoors9 tested the Corbon DPX 115 grain +p 9mm in his old style of wet pack in jugs. I would like to see him retest this round in gel. I will say, out of a G17 the 115 DPX does bark pretty well.
__________________
Gunner's Mate 2nd Class
Glock Certified Armorer

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.
bdcremer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 18:45   #75
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee2718 View Post
I want to see him test the 155 grain XTP/Gold Dot HP from Underwood in .40S&W. The round is listing at 1300fps. That's close to factory 10mm velocity.
I'd like to examine a fired case from this load. The primer must be flattened.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:30   #76
Yankee2718
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: America
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
Corbon Pow'R Ball (165gr @ 1225 fps)
Underwood Ammo (185gr @ 1200 fps)
Speer Gold Dot (200gr @ 1080 fps)
Underwood Ammo (230gr @ 1000 fps)

If you are still under the impression that all .45 acp loads are 230gr @ 850 fps, you probably need JustForMen beard dyes.

In addition, there are the Hornady Tap 200gr @ 1050 fps and a slew of 185gr offerings on the market in the 1100-1150 fps range.

Sorry, reality strikes again...
Hornady Ammo never makes claimed velocity. The only factory ammo that can be considered fast is the speer 200 grain load.

Still, the majority of loads available for the round are 230 grain loads ranging from 880-950 fps.
Yankee2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35   #77
ABNAK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
Corbon Pow'R Ball (165gr @ 1225 fps)
Underwood Ammo (185gr @ 1200 fps)
Speer Gold Dot (200gr @ 1080 fps)
Underwood Ammo (230gr @ 1000 fps)

If you are still under the impression that all .45 acp loads are 230gr @ 850 fps, you probably need JustForMen beard dyes.

In addition, there are the Hornady Tap 200gr @ 1050 fps and a slew of 185gr offerings on the market in the 1100-1150 fps range.

Sorry, reality strikes again...
Here's a little reality for ya: gonna carry a 5" 1911 for CCW? The 5" barrel is the industry standard for testing .45ACP. Start getting into the more CCW-friendly platforms and you won't see those velocities.

I chrono'd HST 230gr +P at a little over 900fps from an XDM with a 3.8" barrel so I'm well aware of what is possible.
__________________
"...there's a man with a gun over there, tellin' me I got to beware..."

11C2P '83-'87
ABNAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 18:16   #78
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
Here's a little reality for ya: gonna carry a 5" 1911 for CCW? The 5" barrel is the industry standard for testing .45ACP. Start getting into the more CCW-friendly platforms and you won't see those velocities.

I chrono'd HST 230gr +P at a little over 900fps from an XDM with a 3.8" barrel so I'm well aware of what is possible.
Who said anything about CCW'ing? This thread is not about that. And the HST is NOT one of the rounds I listed.

But by the by, I would and HAVE carried a 1911. I don't own one currently, but would have no problems carrying one again.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 10-16-2012 at 18:22..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 18:19   #79
WinterWizard
Senior Member
 
WinterWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee2718 View Post
Hornady Ammo never makes claimed velocity. The only factory ammo that can be considered fast is the speer 200 grain load.

Still, the majority of loads available for the round are 230 grain loads ranging from 880-950 fps.
Same applies to every other caliber, as well (not reaching advertised velocities). And sometimes, ammo makers actually exceed advertised velocities in some cases, like Underwood.

But I apologize. Only an idiot doesn't know that 1200 fps is only quick if it's a 9mm. 1200 fps in a .45acp is slow. What was I thinking...

Last edited by WinterWizard; 10-16-2012 at 19:03..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 18:49   #80
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
Here's a little reality for ya: gonna carry a 5" 1911 for CCW? The 5" barrel is the industry standard for testing .45ACP. Start getting into the more CCW-friendly platforms and you won't see those velocities.

I chrono'd HST 230gr +P at a little over 900fps from an XDM with a 3.8" barrel so I'm well aware of what is possible.
I used to carry a M1911A1 .45 pistol - that is until the Glock 17 came along.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,089
274 Members
815 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31