Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:55   #1
cmb19

Savage 11/111 Lady Hunter

Does anybody have any experience with this rifle? Has anybody even seen the thing?

Everything I've read about it says it's a good rifle, but where I live, I'll have to special order it, IF I decide to cough up the money. I'm cheap and $800 is a lot to me.

I need a new deer rifle, I like how this one looks and it sounds like it's got the things I'd like. I never thought about it before I came across this rifle, but the high comb probably WOULD help me out a lot...are there other rifles with a higher comb?
I know Savage is a decent company and everyone I know with a Savage loves whichever model they have.

I'm looking to get a 7mm-08 with a wood stock...bolt action...trying to have the least amount of recoil possible because I'm admittedly a wimp. Suggestions?
cmb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37   #2
ds7br

If you want a inexpensive Savage get a Stevens; the Stevens is a Savage witout the accu-trigger. The short action savage and stevens are the same thing. The stevens are retailing in my area for $300. No wood stock but those are easy enough to find and that would save you some big $$$. All my longrange competion rifles are based on Savage or Stevens actions.
Best of luck,
Dennis
ds7br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:24   #3
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb19 View Post
I'm looking to get a 7mm-08 with a wood stock...bolt action...trying to have the least amount of recoil possible because I'm admittedly a wimp. Suggestions?
I don't know why you want a wood stock but it is my opinion that a synthetic stock actually flexes under recoil.

So you get less felt recoil.

I hunted with a 338 magnum for 35 years and I went with a fiber-glass stock because it was pretty much weatherproof but the synthetic stock did seem to make a difference in recoil.

Last edited by bustedknee; 10-09-2012 at 12:24..
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:56   #4
Jonesee

If you are worried about felt recoil, go with a 30.06 and run 110 or 125 gr through it. It will recoil like a .270. And if you ever want to take it elk hunting, you can load it up with 220 gr. A very versatile caliber, especially if money is tight.

All readily available over the counter.

BTW: I am Savage fan. My go-to gun is a Win Model 70, but bought my sons Savages when they were young. The gun is a shooter. It points well, and is extremely accurate straight from the box.

Last edited by Jonesee; 10-09-2012 at 17:04..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 22:09   #5
cmb19

Synthetic stock really has less recoil? I guess I mean felt recoil, I've actually never heard that term before. Everyone has always told me synthetic is lighter and more recoil or whatever it is they tell me.

I do like the way wood looks a lot more than plain black.

My dad has a reloading room, I can have anything made that I need. I have lots of .270 and 30-06 rifle to choose from in my family, I just like smaller. If I were to elk hunt, I would suck it up and use something larger.
cmb19 is offline   Reply With Quote