SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2012, 13:26   #26
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlight View Post
I just love all the great, really helpful people here in GNG.
What did you expect? Did you think the SVP of Yahoo mail would see your post and make a special exception just for you?

Quote:
you OBVIOUSLY didn't bother to READ my post
Read every word. You can access your Yahoo mail, just by giving them your cell phone number. Even your thread title is wrong.

Quote:
yet you feel entitled to spew out your 'words of wisdom'.
This is GNG, last time I looked, we all are entitled to say whatever we like.

[quote]
Why is that?[/quote

Because this is a public Internet discussion forum?
Quote:
I hope that the next time YOU need help, a BUNCH of people JUST LIKE YOU, come and crap all over YOUR thread.

Because, you know: karma is a *****.
Hmm... I tried to tell you the truth.

Yahoo is a free service; you're not a "customer" and therefore you have basically zero voice in how they run their business.

They are asking for a piece of information from you in exchange for extending their service to you at no cost. You have two options: give them what they want, or stop using it.

Instead, you choose to post a histrionic rant on the Internet about it, and wish ill will on those who are simply trying to point out the facts which you are, for some reason, too emotionally involved to see.

You can be as mad at me as you like, or say whatever nasty things about me you want. It won't change the facts: you depend on a free service which you have no control over, you refuse to give them your information for a reason which you don't even know to be true, and rather than think logically about your options you choose to throw a man-baby tantrum about it on the Internet.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 18:06   #27
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Google does that too, but there is a "not now" button, and it doesn't ask enough to be annoying.

I am a daily Yahoo mail user, and have never seen this request of which you speak.
Yahoo basically does the same thing. You just leave the phone number field blank, and hit the "Save and Continue" button, and it takes you back to your yahoo homepage, then you can check your mail from there.

I just did it.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 18:56   #28
Tvov

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Yahoo basically does the same thing. You just leave the phone number field blank, and hit the "Save and Continue" button, and it takes you back to your yahoo homepage, then you can check your mail from there.

I just did it.
Actually, I have been doing that the last couple of days but the "security" screen keeps coming up, almost everytime I go to log in. Sometimes I leave the field blank and hit "continue", other times I go to "review my security settings", and then hit continue... but the next time I log in the screen comes up again. I assume and hope it will stop soon.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:13   #29
goldenlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain You View Post
The Okie Corral
Thank you for posting the screen capture!

Strange: my screen doesn't have the yellow button for 'save and continue'. I have no idea why not.

When I use the link that says 'remind me later', it goes directly to the 'error 15' screen.

And for the record: my cell phone was specifically purchased so that my 90 year old Mother, who lives alone in the 4 level (THREE flights of stairs) house I grew up in, can get a hold of me, 24/7/365.

I sleep with my cell phone, to be sure it wakes me up, in case of emergency: I have had to take my Mother to the ER numerous times. Her insurance doesn't pay for a $2500 advanced care ambulance ride.

She has a LOT of serious health problems.

So, there are only five people who have EVER had my cell phone number: my immediate family.

I tend to stay up late, and get up late. I don't want some idiot from the Red Cross, or anywhere else, calling me or texting my cell phone.

I get texts from T-Mobile, ALWAYS between 3:00 and 4:00AM, at LEAST once a month, as it is, trying to sell me on $100 a month 'data plans'.

Yeah, I'll take 3 of those, and 3 new iPhones, too, because I have so much extra money lying around.
Old 10-09-2012, 21:17   #30
686Owner
NRA Life Member

You are causing yourself a lot of headache by trying to save a few cents. I don't get solicitors calling my cell phone, and if I did it would probably be quicker to answer the calls than all the time you've spent trying to avoid giving someone your phone number. But I'm sure you knew that.
Old 10-09-2012, 21:26   #31
thejellster05

Send a message via Yahoo to thejellster05
OP you're a grouch man. Lots of anger coming out of the opening post. You won't get spammed get off your high horse. cheap skate.
thejellster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:07   #32
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Like several others here I regularly share my cell phone number with a variety of online services and retailers. I have had the same number for over 15 years, and I never receive spam calls.

Below is a snip from http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html
Yahoo! does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or non-affiliated companies except to provide products or services you've requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances...
Of course one can choose to believe it's a lie.

-ArtificialGrape

Last edited by ArtificialGrape; 10-10-2012 at 05:08..
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:53   #33
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
I get texts from T-Mobile, ALWAYS between 3:00 and 4:00AM, at LEAST once a month, as it is, trying to sell me on $100 a month 'data plans'.

:

...so do one of two things, both are easy:
a- roll over and go back to sleep since you get to 'sleep late'
2- turn the message tone off for incoming texts
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02   #34
wjv

If they do call just say: Put me on your effing "NO CALL" list. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 23:36   #35
goldenlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
...so do one of two things, both are easy:
a- roll over and go back to sleep since you get to 'sleep late'
2- turn the message tone off for incoming texts
Unfortunately, there's no way to turn the 'tone off' for text messages, on my phone. I don't have a 'smart phone'.

It doesn't have a keyboard, or a camera. It doesn't play MP3 files, or access the Internet.

I just have a 'stupid phone'. All it does is make phone calls, nothing else. I've never wanted to send a text message, because there's no way to know if and when people read them. If you call them and talk to them, they can't say 'I didn't get your text message'.

That's all I need it to do, since my elderly Mother only has a land line.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:45   #36
droidfire

Get a google voice number. Give that.

Then get yourself a gmail account, and when you can log into yahoo again setup forwarding to go to the gmail account.

You're welcome.
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:32   #37
md2lgyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Google does that too, but there is a "not now" button, and it doesn't ask enough to be annoying.

I am a daily Yahoo mail user, and have never seen this request of which you speak.
I got this same annoying message. It is apparently a phishing scam that's making the rounds.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:17   #38
czsmithGT

I don't know Yahoo mail but from what you have said I think a couple solutions would be
- Go to Walmart or one of those place and get the cheapest tracfone they have, around here they still have ones for $9.90 something plus tax that includes something like 10 free minutes. Activate it and use that number for logging in to your yahoo mail

- Download Thunderbird for free and set up your Yahoo Mail account as a client. Probably not the best approach if you want to access your yahoo mail from any computer but it should work to get your mail on your mail computer where you have Thunderbird.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:19   #39
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, there's no way to turn the 'tone off' for text messages, on my phone. I don't have a 'smart phone'.

It doesn't have a keyboard, or a camera. It doesn't play MP3 files, or access the Internet.

I just have a 'stupid phone'. All it does is make phone calls, nothing else. I've never wanted to send a text message, because there's no way to know if and when people read them. If you call them and talk to them, they can't say 'I didn't get your text message'.

That's all I need it to do, since my elderly Mother only has a land line.
What brand is it, fisher price? Every phone I've ever had allowed you to select a tone for the text and ringtone. Even the ones without a color screen.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:11   #40
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:

Every phone I've ever had was able to turn off the message tone. What make/model is your phone??
Old 10-13-2012, 09:13   #41
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
What brand is it, fisher price? .

....it's the 1st World Problem phone with unlimited pity-party minutes.