Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 21:14   #1
Ranski

New Glock 19 FDE Ejection Experience

After not owning a Glock for a year or two, and steering clear of the new ones from all the problems people have posted, I was inspired to give one of the Gen 4s a try by the survey posted on here in which people have said their new Gen 4s have been great.

On Saturday, I bought a brand new Glock 19 in Flat Dark Earth. It is really new, the shell casing is dated 9/20/12. I took it to the range on Sunday, after cleaning and lubing it, and ran just over 100 rounds through it (I had other guns to shoot as well), mostly 124 grain Aguila and RWS, with just a few Speer Gold Dots and Rangers.

I am of mixed feelings about the ejection. When I shot it, it seemed great; the only brass that hit me was brass that bounced off the lane divider and hit me in the arm. Almost all the brass ejected to the right to the lane divider, with a few sailing over my head and to the right.

However, I had my wife put a couple magazines through it, and it was terrible. It was barely coughing out most of the casings, hit her in the forehead with brass once, and she even had a failure to return to battery. Now, I will gladly admit that my wife really needs to work on her grip; she lets the gun move around enough that she has to readjust her grip almost every shot. However, she used that same poor grip on her M&P compact we have had since 2008, and it flung brass straight out to the right with authority.

I am interested to see how things will develop when I get more rounds through the gun. 100 rounds is hardly an exhaustive test. For now, I just wanted to share my experience with a very new Glock 19 Gen 4. I think there is enough evidence on this forum that the Gen 4 problems are not solely, or even primarily, caused by limp wristing, but I can say in the case of my Glock, it certainly seemed to be a contributing factor.
Ranski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:38   #2
Yankee2718

I don't own a gen 4, my buddy does, so I don't have direct experience with one other than working with his. Try running some +P ammo through it. The RSAs tend to be a bit on the heavy side. I think the most recent is the 04. If yours doesn't have it I think Glock will send it to you.

Thr +P helps to break in the RSA.

Wait, you have a FDE model. Aren't those only available as a Gen 3?

Last edited by Yankee2718; 10-08-2012 at 21:39..
Yankee2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:27   #3
Bruce M

Good to hear it is working well for you. Thsi certainly adds some credibility to those who contend that at least sometimes it is the shooter and not the gun that causes the issue. I understand there are several factors involved and each plays a part.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17   #4
cowboy1964

I have no doubt limp wristing makes it worse, or in some cases even causes it. But not in every case and that has been clearly documented time and time again.

Also keep in mind, other guns don't have problems from limp wristing (as the OP mentioned with the M&P), so it's a double knock against Glocks.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-09-2012 at 07:18..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:40   #5
zee90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee2718 View Post
I don't own a gen 4, my buddy does, so I don't have direct experience with one other than working with his. Try running some +P ammo through it. The RSAs tend to be a bit on the heavy side. I think the most recent is the 04. If yours doesn't have it I think Glock will send it to you.

Most recent RSA is 043.
zee90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:09   #6
SCmasterblaster

Just what is RSA?
Old 10-09-2012, 19:12   #7
FnKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Just what is RSA?
Recoil Spring Assembly

FnKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:16   #8
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnKev View Post
Recoil Spring Assembly
Thank you.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:21   #9
Ranski

I took my Glock to the range for the second time yesterday. My wife wasn't with me, so I didn't get to see how it is doing with her grip.

I fired 200 rounds of Blazer Brass 124 grain, 25 rounds of Speer Lawman 147 grain, and 10 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P. I used both a regular two handed grip, and also fired quite a few rounds one handed, switching back and forth between hands.

I observed about 2 cases with the Blazer Brass that went almost straight up about 1 foot, and then came down only about 6 inches to the right of the gun. Other than those, I had strong ejection to 3:00 or 4:00. It is hard to tell exactly how strong because there is a lane divider, so I don't know how far the case would have flown. Strangely, the ejection seemed the strongest when I was firing with only my left hand, even though I felt like I was limp wristing like crazy.

My gun has the 30274 ejector, but despite being so new, still came with the dipped extractor. Also, for the record, I had a Streamlight TLR-1S on the gun for this trip. For now, I am going to say that I am very happy with the ejection, at least when I am the one shooting it. I just hope I don't see the worn extractor problems that people seem to see after 1,000 + rounds.
Ranski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 20:56   #10
jerrylo913

Trust me, buy yourself a apex extractor it'll solve your problem. Glock won't fix this by swapping parts.
jerrylo913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 22:49   #11
Police305

In one visit to the range, I put exactly 120 rounds of 115 gr. FMJ Federal Champion ammo and 15 rounds of 135 gr. JHP Hydra-shok ammo for a combined total of 135 rounds through my new Gen4 G19. I'm so anxious to get back to the range to keep putting rounds through the pistol just to be sure that its working properly but these high ammo prices are killing me! LOL
Old 04-10-2013, 06:29   #12
Monte4283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee2718 View Post

You can get most models offered in FDE in both Gen3 and Gen4. The G19 being one offered in both. Link below shows all FDE models and gens offered.
http://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?q=glock+fde
Monte4283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9mm, ejection, glock 19