GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17   #1
Idaho Spud
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Which aftermarket bbl?

Haven't even received my first Glock (23) and am looking for a bbl to shoot lead since I cast my own for another brand of pistol. Found a Storm Lake at Midway in 40 S&W. Not really looking for conversions (not interested in 357 Sig and have plenty of nines) Lone Wolfs are scarce as hen's teeth. Did quite a search last nite, but what say you here at GT? Any experience?

Probably would have no issue trying some hardcast commercial offerings in the stock barrel, but the alloy I use for my own is quite soft. Works great in my Ruger. Don't trust it in a stock Glock.
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:38   #2
JBP55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 7,935
If you are on a budget try Lone Wolf if not try KKM.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:35   #3
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,394
IS
You may want to read some of this thread http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414663 It may give you some insight especially if you are planing on shooting lead bullets from your replacement barrel.
I know it goes on for something like 17 pages but the first couple of pages may help you with your decision. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:41   #4
JBS
Senior Member
 
JBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 258
If you cast your own then read this before you spend money on a barrel you may not need.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1445085
__________________
2 Corinthians 11:13-15

Last edited by JBS; 10-08-2012 at 13:43..
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:51   #5
hamster
NRA Life Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,046
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Spud View Post
Haven't even received my first Glock (23) and am looking for a bbl to shoot lead since I cast my own for another brand of pistol. Found a Storm Lake at Midway in 40 S&W. Not really looking for conversions (not interested in 357 Sig and have plenty of nines) Lone Wolfs are scarce as hen's teeth. Did quite a search last nite, but what say you here at GT? Any experience?

Probably would have no issue trying some hardcast commercial offerings in the stock barrel, but the alloy I use for my own is quite soft. Works great in my Ruger. Don't trust it in a stock Glock.
topgunsupply.com has Lone wolf barrels for the g23 in stock.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:03   #6
Black&TAN
Senior Member
 
Black&TAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
...try KKM.
+1

Aftermarket is the way to go if you want to shoot lead.

Granted, there's a number of careful shooters running lead through their OEM. However, with a high pressure round, not worth the risk IMO- I'm not into babysitting barrels.

sent via Tapatalk

Last edited by Black&TAN; 10-08-2012 at 14:05..
Black&TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:28   #7
Idaho Spud
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Thanks for the responses. If I were shooting harder cast boolits, like Missouri's and others at 18BHN or so I probably wouldn't worry at all, but my own cast probably run 11 or so (just a guess). My friend has shot thousands of cast thru a Glock without problems, but because of the issues some have had he no longer does so.

I clean after every firing session so am pretty careful. I understand about the switching from cast to jacketed. Am leaning toward KKM right now if I do indeed get an aftermarket bbl. They actually claim cast reloads will chamber/function in their barrels.
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:59   #8
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Spud View Post
Thanks for the responses. If I were shooting harder cast boolits, like Missouri's and others at 18BHN or so I probably wouldn't worry at all, but my own cast probably run 11 or so (just a guess). My friend has shot thousands of cast thru a Glock without problems, but because of the issues some have had he no longer does so.

I clean after every firing session so am pretty careful. I understand about the switching from cast to jacketed. Am leaning toward KKM right now if I do indeed get an aftermarket bbl. They actually claim cast reloads will chamber/function in their barrels.
That is important if you mainly want to shoot lead through your barrel.

They actually claim cast reloads will chamber/function in their barrels. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:46   #9
JR
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Oldtown Idaho USA
Posts: 3,939
Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
ID Spud: I have a offer you may be interested in? I just received notification of a shipment of Glock 23 barrels in route to LWD now. Our standard 40 cal cambering is SAMMI spec and it works great for factory ammunition but I read here you are home rolling cast bullets. Well, today is my lucky day indeed! I have a new cambering we are introducing to the reloading community we call the GT Hole. I would like to ship one of these new barrels to you for test and evaluation. I am looking for your honest assessment of its performance. If this offer interests you please email me direct jr@lonewolfdist.com
__________________
www.lonewolfdist.com
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:34   #10
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,394
Spud
I would take up J R on his gracious offer to be a tester of their new chamber reamer for lead bullet loads. I know many GT ers would be interested in the results of your testing of LWD's new chamber reamer. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:18   #11
JokerG23
Member
 
JokerG23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 27
+1 for Lone Wolf Distributors! I purchased a 9mm conversion barrel for my G23 and I couldn't be happier with it. It has traditional rifling and states that lead is perfectly fine.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
JokerG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:28   #12
Idaho Spud
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
ID Spud: I have a offer you may be interested in? I just received notification of a shipment of Glock 23 barrels in route to LWD now. Our standard 40 cal cambering is SAMMI spec and it works great for factory ammunition but I read here you are home rolling cast bullets. Well, today is my lucky day indeed! I have a new cambering we are introducing to the reloading community we call the GT Hole. I would like to ship one of these new barrels to you for test and evaluation. I am looking for your honest assessment of its performance. If this offer interests you please email me direct jr@lonewolfdist.com
Email sent! Thanks.
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:39   #13
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Spud View Post
Email sent! Thanks.
If you take JR up on his offer be sure to let us know what you think of the new reamer. Just had a thought it would be even more informative if JR could wrangle up one of each and have you try to test them both side by side.
See if your cast bullet loads feed function as in fully chamber in the standard barrel and then the GT reamer barrel.
Could make for an interesting test and information. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:46   #14
Idaho Spud
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
If you take JR up on his offer be sure to let us know what you think of the new reamer. Just had a thought it would be even more informative if JR could wrangle up one of each and have you try to test them both side by side.
See if your cast bullet loads feed function as in fully chamber in the standard barrel and then the GT reamer barrel.
Could make for an interesting test and information. SJ 40
This'll be a first for me, but i need to get the gun first!
I bought it online and it MAY be here before the end of this week. Looks like I'll have to buy some commercial lead boolits as I'm fast running out of my stash. I'll most likely test a 175-180 gr TC style. These (in plated and lead) work great in the wife's gun.

Haven't heard back from J R, yet.
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:55   #15
savage1r
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 44
I literally picked up a G22 that came with the threaded 40-9 conversion barrel (going to be shooting the Missouri bullet co 147 grainers through it). My only issue is that the thread protector seems to come loose just from dry firing, anyone have a solution to this?
savage1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:59   #16
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Spud View Post
This'll be a first for me, but i need to get the gun first!
I bought it online and it MAY be here before the end of this week. Looks like I'll have to buy some commercial lead boolits as I'm fast running out of my stash. I'll most likely test a 175-180 gr TC style. These (in plated and lead) work great in the wife's gun.

Haven't heard back from J R, yet.
Spud
I'm one of the lead bullets out of factory barrels ,have been shooting them that way for years and will continue too.
Good luck will be awaiting your posts with results.
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:27   #17
JR
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Oldtown Idaho USA
Posts: 3,939
Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Savage: We recommend Blue LocTite to stop any firearms parts from moving. If you don't have access to Blue, put a dab of your girlfriends finger nail polish on the threads. Works wonderful!
Spud: Got your info, will arrange for the barrel to ship ASAP (has to land here first)
__________________
www.lonewolfdist.com
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:30   #18
Idaho Spud
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
Spud
I'm one of the lead bullets out of factory barrels ,have been shooting them that way for years and will continue too.
Good luck will be awaiting your posts with results.
Like I said, I believe with hard enough alloy and regular cleaning it shouldn't be a problem. I'll let you know if any of this stuff goes down. BTW, read some of your commentary on the other threads and appreciate the input you guys that know share here.
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:30   #19
savage1r
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 44
I have the red dispenser, but the locktite itself is blue. Is that the right one. I want to have the option of removing the barrel, just not anytime soon.
savage1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:33   #20
JR
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Oldtown Idaho USA
Posts: 3,939
Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
All my bottles are Blue. Read the label, it should tell you what the contents are.
Red requires heat to remove. We avoid it when possible
Blue is just sticky. Comes off with a little effort
__________________
www.lonewolfdist.com
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:13   #21
Idaho Spud
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Spud: Got your info, will arrange for the barrel to ship ASAP (has to land here first)
OK, will be looking for it. Might be a while anyway, gonna want to shoot new gun some (with stock barrel) to make sure it works, first!
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:47   #22
savage1r
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 44
JR, red bottle, but reads blue locktite and removable. Worked great, thanks!
savage1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:58   #23
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1r View Post
JR, red bottle, but reads blue locktite and removable. Worked great, thanks!
Savage
Welcome to GT

I agree with JR's take on the different Loc Tite's. They have numbers that indicate the color of the product inside.
Example.
My bottle of 222 is red on the outside but purple liquid on the inside,purple for small screws,pins that may often need to be removed. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:52   #24
Y_Knot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 12
Jr, Will you be making any of the GT barrels for the G17 ? Sounds like what i need.

Thanks, Steve
Y_Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:44   #25
JR
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Oldtown Idaho USA
Posts: 3,939
Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Yes indeed, we will be offering the GT Hole for all Glock barrels. BTW: I cant really take credit for the idea.... a few of the guys got together in another thread and asked if I would offer something like this. I named the new reamer the GT Hole in their honor.

Anyhow, if you are a reloader and have a favorite 9mm lead load you are fond of I would be interested in sending you a sample barrel to evaluate. Please email me at jr@lonewolfdist.com and let me know what your load is. I will see what I can do to get one out to you.
__________________
www.lonewolfdist.com
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:52.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,261
356 Members
905 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42