Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 17:03   #51
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
I wonder how many people fall for that drivel? America has so many Autistic children because there are codes for it that doctors can use to bill insurance companies. Even the literature from support groups credits improved diagnostics for the huge increase in reported cases.
Well, yeah.
100 years ago everyone died of manic exhaustion, consumption or bad air.
We now know these causes of death have a real name, not a lumped in catch all.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:04   #52
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
The title is misleading. I was in the second grade when the U.S. started vaccinating for Polio. A lot of people my age grew up with braces on their legs so they could walk and had corrective to make both of their legs the same length. The afflicted limb was always smaller and weaker than the other one. There were people who spent most of their childhood and all their adult lives in iron lungs. Due to the vaccinations, you don't see that any more. We may have overdone it, but in general, vaccinations are a good thing.

A number of my pre-school friends cought Polio and never returned to the neighborhood.

They did work.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:07   #53
norm357

http://www.parade.com/health/2012/10...-vaccines.html
Old 10-08-2012, 17:08   #54
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
There are risks in every medical procedure, but I agree that vaccinations are a pretty good bet overall.

I remember polio kids, and getting my sugar cube when I was young, and I am glad I did.
Mine had LSD on it.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:17   #55
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
No one individual is indispensable to mankind. Certainly a handful of people have made great impacts on mankind's history, but who's to say that if they hadn't existed, the world would have stopped? Or that no one else after them would have picked up what they did.
That could all be true but it isnt. What is...is.

I am not nearly as worried about who could have done what as I am your desire to decide which humans are worthy to live and which are not. That is the key topic based on what you put on the table.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 18:50   #56
RonS

Vaccinations protect populations and civilizations. Individuals suffer ill effects sometimes. Beats walking around behind a waggon yelling "Bring out your dead".
Old 10-08-2012, 19:08   #57
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
That could all be true but it isnt. What is...is.

I am not nearly as worried about who could have done what as I am your desire to decide which humans are worthy to live and which are not. That is the key topic based on what you put on the table.
Which individual who lives or dies is up to g-d. I'm not saying I have the right to say who should be vaccinated or not. I'm saying that as a population, MDs now-a-days over prescribe medication. Why? Because you can't be sued for prescribing a medication.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:15   #58
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Which individual who lives or dies is up to g-d. I'm not saying I have the right to say who should be vaccinated or not. I'm saying that as a population, MDs now-a-days over prescribe medication. Why? Because you can't be sued for prescribing a medication.
Focus. Lets hit the key issue here.

You said:

Quote:
Unfortunately, not every child is meant to survive to adulthood. Darwin's theory of Survival of the Fittest should not be interfered with.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 10-08-2012 at 19:15..
Old 10-08-2012, 19:15   #59
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Living and dying is up to who, exactly?
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:21   #60
Patchman
Florist

Living and dying is up to nature.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Old 10-08-2012, 19:26   #61
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Yes. Just like the biggest momma bear keeps her cubs from getting eaten...so we have developed pharmaceuticals and surgical technology to keep our kids from dying from a number of things. How is that any different from you using a tool for self defense?

Until something supernatural happens...EVERYTHING is natural. Smart is just as natural as strong.

Last edited by Rabbi; 10-08-2012 at 19:28..
Old 10-08-2012, 19:28   #62
Ragnar

Quote:
A minute ago it was god. And then it was Darwin. Now it's nature.

Make up your mind.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:44   #63
Patchman
Florist

You're saying, let's use man made science to keep the playing field level.

I'm saying, let's use nature to level the playing field.

Man made science is here to stay. OK, I get that. But the human body doesn't change that quickly. Diseases that you get will kill you, or, if you survive it, makes you stronger (and you pass that on to your children). Yes, this sounds like a line from an Arnold Schwarzengger movie, but it's true.

Old 10-08-2012, 19:45   #64
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:

Man made science is here to stay. OK, I get that. But the human body doesn't change that quickly. Diseases that you get will kill you, or, if you survive it, makes you stronger (and you pass that on to your children). Yes, this sounds like a line from an Arnold Schwarzengger movie, but it's true.
Well, hard to argue with someone with your extensive medical credentials.
For the last time
Old 10-08-2012, 19:48   #65
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
A minute ago it was god. And then it was Darwin. Now it's nature.

Make up your mind.
If you do, or don't, believe in god, that your thing.

"Darwin" is a shorthand for saying nature's "survival of the fittest" theory. Whether you want to link nature with god, that's up to you.

Old 10-08-2012, 19:49   #66
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
What blind stupidity.

Think about the world today without vaccines against:

Smallpox (really the argument ends right here)
Polio
Tetanus
Diphtheria
Pertussis
Etc.
A lot less people, which wouldn't have been a bad thing.
Old 10-08-2012, 19:51   #67
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Well, hard to argue with someone with your extensive medical credentials.
I have no medical credentials. I only have life experience.

So what are your credentials that says vaccinations are best for mankind? And that no other opinions need apply?

Old 10-08-2012, 19:51   #68
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
It most certainly is not. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:53   #69
devildog2067

Quote:
Which individual who lives or dies is up to g-d.
Do you carry a weapon?

Why?

You weren't born with it. Maybe you shouldn't defend yourself with it. Maybe if you can't defend yourself with your fists, you don't deserve to live. Maybe you should leave it up to God.

See how ridiculous that sounds?

We evolved brains and hands and technology to help us survive in the world. Medicine is just another one of those tools.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:56   #70
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Do you carry a weapon?

Why?

You weren't born with it. Maybe you shouldn't defend yourself with it. Maybe if you can't defend yourself with your fists, you don't deserve to live. Maybe you should leave it up to God.

We evolved brains and hands and technology to help us survive in the world. Medicine is just another one of those tools.
Don't argue with him, don't you know he has life experience?!

For the last time
Old 10-08-2012, 20:04   #71
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Do you carry a weapon?

Why?

OK. you have a gun, and your opponent has a gun. Who lives and who dies is dependent on what?

Old 10-08-2012, 20:19   #72
Mr Spock
Vulcan

Quote:

A monkey will use a stick to get ants out of a tree. Would you argue that this is nature, or would you argue that this "monkey-made technology" is allowing the monkey to get more food than it should naturally have?

The same thing with a bird crafting a nest. The bird knows how to build a sometimes complex structure for the betterment of its offspring.

Next, an ant hill with its maze of tunnels and dedicated egg rooms.

Modern medicine is simply our stick, nest, or ant hill. It is the culmination of our current ability to safeguard our species against danger based on our natural evolution.

You discuss survival of the fittest as if the only thing that matters is strength. Which is more fit to survive, the strong man who only knows how to hold a club or the asthmatic who can't run but knows how to make a musket and can mix black powder?

In the real world, wisdom and cunning will always win over strength or physical constitution. This goes back even to times when humanity was in a very clear "state of nature".

Sun tzu knew this. Atilla knew this. When Napoleon forgot this, he marched into Russia.
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:20   #73
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

Quote:

1) It's not Arnold, it's Nietzsche.

2) Do you eat food made with preservatives? Packaged in plastic? Canned? Refrigerated? Cooked with any of that sciencey fire? Seems to me that if you find some road kill or a mushroom, you should eat it. Then, if you die, that's what god/nature/Darwin intended. Classifying, cooking, and preserving food all smack of artificially avoiding the natural and good process of either dying off because you can't eat poison or passing on your superior, creator-endowed, genetically-capable digestive system to your progeny.
Old 10-08-2012, 20:21   #74
Mr Spock
Vulcan

Quote:
OK. you have a gun, and your opponent has a gun. Who lives and who dies is dependent on what?
Since you're giving guns to both people, I'll go ahead and say that we both shoot each other in the gut. One of us goes to a level 2 trauma center and the other to some homeopathic practitioner who spends his days pushing a book against vaccines on his website.

Who lives and who dies? Why do you pick the one you pick?
Old 10-08-2012, 20:23   #75
Mr Spock
Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by F14Scott View Post
1) It's not Arnold, it's Nietzsche.

2) Do you eat food made with preservatives? Packaged in plastic? Canned? Refrigerated? Cooked with any of that sciencey fire? Seems to me that if you find some road kill or a mushroom, you should eat it. Then, if you die, that's what god/nature/Darwin intended. Classifying, cooking, and preserving food all smack of artificially avoiding the natural and good process of either dying off because you can't eat poison or passing on your superior, creator-endowed, genetically-capable digestive system to your progeny.
Lol... Next he's going to tell us Steven Segal proclaimed God is dead, and that he killed him with a roundhouse kick.