cowboy1964

Cops nail guy pointing laser at helicopter

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/what...aser-pointers/

Idiot.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:11   #2
M&P15T
Beard One

I worked with this cat that bought a laser, bragged about it when he ordered it, said how awesome it was based on the specs.

He received it in the mail, and brought it to work.

Holy ****, it was absolutely incredible. We could shine it at a building 1/2 mile a way and see it clear and crisp. If you hit a stop sign with it, brilliant green laser light just exploded all around it. It could pop a baloon, all of that stuff. Definitely would wreck your eye.

This person had a home that was very near the landing pattern for our local major airport. I was absolutely not shocked, when there was an article in the news about the Police looking for the person that had aimed a laser at the cockpit of an airplane from his neighborhood.

What a freaking idiot.

Last edited by M&P15T; 10-08-2012 at 08:12..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:15   #3
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
“I had temporary blindness. My eyes were burning. It caused disorientation, and it was distracting,” Captain Robert Hamilton with the Air Line Pilots Association said, of a time when he was landing a plane and a laser was pointed at the aircraft.
If this is the effect of what a laser can do, and if the pilot is flying a jet airplane or helicopter full of passengers over a populated neighborhood, community, town or city, then this is a problem.

Next, idiots will be doing this to drivers on highways.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 10-08-2012 at 08:17..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:28   #4
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post

Next, idiots will be doing this to drivers on highways.
Already done:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l...167557575.html
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55   #5
Adjuster

I have only played with the simple little key chain/pointer lasers and even they are impressive. Have you ever tried to point one of these lasers at a stop sign two or three blocks down the street? Its almost impossible, takes many tries, a steady hand and even then you can't hold it steady on target. Please tell me how in the heck someone is able to hit the cockpit window of an aircraft 20,000 feet in the air or however high they fly?!

/
Adjuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01   #6
Adjuster

And I forgot to add moving at 100's of miles per hour!

/
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15   #7
Sporaticus
Aw sheet main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Please tell me how in the heck someone is able to hit the cockpit window of an aircraft 20,000 feet in the air or however high they fly?!/
I was thinking the same thing, but it seems to keep coming back to helicopters and aircraft on takeoff and landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I would take a book learner over the assumption making that runs rampid on this forum.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rampid
Sporaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:18   #8
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
Quote:
I have only played with the simple little key chain/pointer lasers and even they are impressive. Have you ever tried to point one of these lasers at a stop sign two or three blocks down the street? Its almost impossible, takes many tries, a steady hand and even then you can't hold it steady on target. Please tell me how in the heck someone is able to hit the cockpit window of an aircraft 20,000 feet in the air or however high they fly?!

/
It doesn't take a long burst to do damage or to temporarily blind someone.

I find it funny that the idiots who usually so this are clueless enough to shine it at a plane, then shine it at the helicopters that come looking for them. For the cops it must be like shooting fish in a barrel...
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44   #9
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
/
But it must have happened unless those pilots are lying in concert.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46   #10
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post

I find it funny that the idiots who usually so this are clueless enough to shine it at a plane, then shine it at the helicopters that come looking for them. For the cops it must be like shooting fish in a barrel...
A helo borne mini gun would be nice.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:53   #11
harlenm

Quote:

/
They are hitting planes coming in for a landing, much lower and much slower.
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54   #12
hpracing007

Did they need that many cops after they found the guy?
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18   #13
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
They are hitting planes coming in for a landing, much lower and much slower.
Not to mention a predictable path.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57   #14
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
With a laser sighter.

"What's good for the goose. . . ."

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:49   #15
Alchemy

The effect of the lasers in question are a statistical and
medical fact. If anyone wants to deny it they are barking
up the wrong tree.

On another note I found the comment section to the linked
article to be quite hilarious/scary depending on your point
of view. So if you want a good laugh read the comments.
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:14   #16
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Reminds me of sixth grade. The pen laser pointers had just become popular and were a curiosity, at first. Then, it ended up an automatic suspension if you got caught with one.

Next, the FBI will have to go after Gig-a-pets. It's sixth grade all over again. Now, where's a bra to snap?
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:23   #17
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post

I dunno. That's my question, unless they hang out and keep shining it, how do these clowns ever get caught? Planes ain't near the ground, unless you're right near the airport they're way up there, so how do they track down someone if they just shine it and then leave? The prime witnesses have been somewhat blinded to begin with, how do they catch the offender?

And what kind of laser does this? I mean its not like if you shined the LaserGrip on your Sig at plane a mile away it would do anything, right? Arent these high power industrial lasers?
Old 10-08-2012, 14:43   #18
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
I dunno. That's my question, unless they hang out and keep shining it, how do these clowns ever get caught? Planes ain't near the ground, unless you're right near the airport they're way up there, so how do they track down someone if they just shine it and then leave? The prime witnesses have been somewhat blinded to begin with, how do they catch the offender?

And what kind of laser does this? I mean its not like if you shined the LaserGrip on your Sig at plane a mile away it would do anything, right? Arent these high power industrial lasers?
LOL!!!

No, these aren't industrial lasers. In an earlier post, there's the name to google to see some of them....hell you could order one....then shine it in your eye. Even a mile away you'll be blinded and possibly suffer vision damage.
Old 10-08-2012, 14:57   #19
hpracing007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
Reminds me of sixth grade. The pen laser pointers had just become popular and were a curiosity, at first. Then, it ended up an automatic suspension if you got caught with one.

Next, the FBI will have to go after Gig-a-pets. It's sixth grade all over again. Now, where's a bra to snap?
I still remember the day in junior high when one kid got one. He convinced another that he could give him lasik with it and I was like, screw you guys, i'm outta here

I heard, no long term affects thank goodness.
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:11   #20
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpracing007 View Post
I still remember the day in junior high when one kid got one.
anyone here old enough to remember klic klacs or however they spelled it? It was like giving kids on school buses deadly weapons. I think they were outlawed in about 2 weeks once they caught on.

two marble glass or acrylic balls about 3/4 the size of tennis balls, on the opposite end of a string. You held the string in the middle and started flailing, to get them to impact then bounce back and the faster you did it they faster they klac'd.

First some of the balls broke and shattered the user and bystanders with fragments, then kids started using them as weapons and then…you get the picture.

Holy crap look what I found!

http://www.timewarptoys.com/clackers.htm

Last edited by G29Reload; 10-08-2012 at 15:14..
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:17   #21
Eric
Big Giant Head

How freaking stupid do you have to be to shine a laser at a police helicopter, or at any helicopter if you cannot determine whether or not it is a police helicopter? Dumbass.

I have one of these lasers.

The Okie Corral

http://www.opticsplanet.com/laser-ge...ope-mount.html

This is an incredibly bright and tightly focused laser. It could dazzle someone's vision, or even damage it, from a great distance. One of these in the wrong hands could be very dangerous to low-flying aircraft. They don't have to do damage to the pilot's eyes. Only distract him at a time when his speed and altitude make any mistake on his part a potential tragedy. Eric
Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  
- Roger Hodgson
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:19   #22
beatcop

Adjuster,

-civ stuff is 5 milli watt max..."eye safe"
-the crap people are buying is not five thousandths of a watt, it's whole watts!
The dispersion at "miles" may be 10 feet...15 feet, enough to get you in the area.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:42   #23
Adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
a

Holy crap look what I found!

http://www.timewarptoys.com/clackers.htm

LOL I like this. Pretty exciting!

http://www.timewarptoys.com/klackers.wav

/
Old 10-08-2012, 16:13   #24
frizz

Quote:
"Helo"? Didn't know you were a Navy dood.
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:13   #25
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:

/
Like most anything some folks are better aiming then others. It does NOT take a 30 second (on target) to blind a person temp. Go in room with minimal light. (so you can just see) have someone shine a bright flashlight in your face for half second. (eyes open) then try to see things for next 20 seconds.
If person is on take off/landing route the plane is moving SLOWLY in relation to you (up/down/left/right) At 20k feet if pilot distracted for 30 seconds odds are things will be ok. (likely on auto pilot anyway) If Pilot is 30 seconds from landing/takeoff............
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote