SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:42   #301
Teecher45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
No, I'm not a big hunter, but even I know that hunting firearms are generally not loaded until in position to hunt, such in the duck blind or deer stand.

Now hunting other types of such as quail, pheasant or rabbit - ie. mobile rather than stationary - a shotgun is used with small shot which is generally ineffective for SD at distances greater than "room" distances (and arguably not even then).

Other mobile hunting with a rifle - such as rabbit, squirrel, raccoon, etc. - is generally with a small caliber rifle such as a .22; again a generally ineffective SD choice.

I don't suppose I even need to address bow hunting or muzzleloader seasons, as it would seem obvious why carrying a handgun for SD would be needed.

A handgun in a holster can be safely carried loaded and can be deployed, in some instances, more effectively than a long gun.

Additionally, a handgun caliber is sometimes a better choice for killing wounded medium sized game at close range.
Yeah, this is pretty much where I was going to go with it, but you beat me to it. In our camp in Colorado (usually about 15 men from Kentucky, Virginia, and West Virginia) most carry a pistol just to be safe, if that bear/cat is on top of you, you think you gonna get that rifle up to them?
And I bow hunt in Montana, and carry a .44, do I need to explain why? If I left camp there without a handgun they wouldn't laugh at me, they would probably pray for me.
Now, what was the OP about?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:09   #302
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
In the parlance of the day, regulated meant "practiced" as applied to troop formations.

So a well regulated militia was one that practiced and trained.

Militias are both unorganized and organized. The unorganized milita would be average citizens.

In order the that the unorganized militia, the people be well regulated, their rights to should not be infringed or you're gonna be restricting their practice time. Folks need to be able to go out and shoot regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
Regulated= Supplied
And I suppose we can interpret well to mean a hole int he ground with water in it. so "well regulated" meant a well "supplied" water hole that the people were "practiced" at getting water out of.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:19   #303
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Law Enforcement currently ranks 10th

http://pattyinglishms.hubpages.com/h...Dangerous_Jobs
And the only ones on the list where the danger is also other than just by accidental means unlike the rest of the list.

LEO's are the only ones on the list that face the very real danger of being murdered simply because of the job they do and what they are.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:38   #304
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
well i travel up to PA quite alot for wife to visit family and we live in NC , and there is always a handgun between the seats loaded for anything . and i have been pulled over time to time

and we have to go thru a small 18 mile stretch of maryland on the way up . i dont give a rats ass what moral crap or law the state has , im gonna protect myself and family from point A to point B

YMMV . my family will not be victim because of some stupid ass law in some stupid ass state

also one thing ive learned there are people here claiming to be leo on GT , but are not .but thats for a different day

Well, today's a different day, so let's hear it Bobby Brown.

Last edited by Ohio Copper; 10-11-2012 at 12:49..
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:48   #305
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
And the only ones on the list where the danger is also other than just by accidental means unlike the rest of the list.

LEO's are the only ones on the list that face the very real danger of being murdered simply because of the job they do and what they are.
Really? Have you ever met an oil rig worker who works in Africa or another 3rd world ****hole?

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 10-11-2012 at 12:49..
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56   #306
rockapede

Quote:
Really? Have you ever met an oil rig worker who works in Africa or another 3rd world ****hole?
It's pretty safe to say he was talking about domestic occupations. If we open it up to worldwide, obviously that changes because soldiers/etc get put in the mix.

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:57   #307
DanaT
Pharaoh

Yesterday I had a very interesting day. I had to take a class on the BDSG.

We had a lawyer from the State who is responsible for compliance enforcement and monitoring of the compliance with saving, transmitting, sharing, data that can be used to identify a person. The went on to explain what bad things can happen when people can be identified and gave some historical examples.

Then much to my shock, they explained what can, and has happened, in the present day and why it is illegal (both civilly and criminally to release this data. The lawyer from the stated explained how there have been issues with people, based upon incorrect and illegally shared information, have ended up on the USA terrorist watch list.

There were also examples given on what the government did into the late 1980s with information.

For those that dont know what BDSG is...

You can google...

Bundesdatenschutzgesetz

What is very interesting.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:59   #308
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
It's pretty safe to say he was talking about domestic occupations. If we open it up to worldwide, obviously that changes because soldiers/etc get put in the mix.
How many ways do we have to re-slice this until bmoore and draggoon are correct?
Old 10-11-2012, 13:02   #309
rockapede

Quote:
How many ways do we have to re-slice this until bmoore and draggoon are correct?
I'm not re-slicing anything. Just making an observation that I thought should have been obvious.

-Edward Conlon

Last edited by rockapede; 10-11-2012 at 13:03..
Old 10-11-2012, 13:02   #310
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

I don't know about you but Whether one is shot in the head or cut in half by a steel cable, I still consider them equally dead.
Old 10-11-2012, 13:04   #311
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
CF. Give up man. You are neither as brave, as smart, nor as under appreciated as some people.

So now onto an important topic to a poor guy such as your self. What do you think. Would you take you poor mans car to EVO to get the EVOMS900package added or somewhere else?

But I would offer this challenge....show me one of these super intellectual people who could do my job in the conditions I do it in.....oh wait...lets make it easy...show me one of them that could do THEIR job in the conditions I do my job in....
2x4=8, not 14.

Last edited by DanaT; 10-11-2012 at 13:05..
Old 10-11-2012, 13:11   #312
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
But I would offer this challenge....show me one of these super intellectual people who could do my job in the conditions I do it in.....oh wait...lets make it easy...show me one of them that could do THEIR job in the conditions I do my job in....
I don't claim to be an intellectual and I don't doubt that I lack the education and aptitude to do your job. At the end of the day, it takes all types. Cheers.

-Edward Conlon
Old 10-11-2012, 13:25   #313
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
I don't claim to be an intellectual and I don't doubt that I lack the education and aptitude to do your job. At the end of the day, it takes all types. Cheers.
No worries. I only need to be able to do my job in multiple languages. Anyone can do that...
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-11-2012, 13:38   #314
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
I'm not re-slicing anything. Just making an observation that I thought should have been obvious.
But you are.

bmoore said LEO is most dangerous profession based on # of people killed in a year.

statistics showed that wrong.

draggoon said but but but only occupation where people are trying to kill them.

that is wrong

LEO is hazardous work. It is more hazardous than some civie jobs, less hazardous than others. Big whoop.

<<Insert photo of Deepwater Horizon burning for effect>>
Old 10-11-2012, 13:45   #315
DanaT
Pharaoh

My job puts me in lose proximity to lunatics that seem to think driving 150mph on public roads is acceptable behavior. You know how many time this year I have almost been murdered by these people?
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-11-2012, 14:03   #316
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Oh, now you want to move the goal posts?

From the Link YOU posted as your evidence.

Quote:
US Workplace Fatalities 2010
Quote:
I don't know about you but Whether one is shot in the head or cut in half by a steel cable, I still consider them equally dead.
Yeah except one is a workplace accident and the other a homicide. now you want to maintain there is no difference between deaths due to accidents and those due to deliberate homicides?

You're getting pretty desperate.
Old 10-11-2012, 14:11   #317
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by whitebread; 10-18-2012 at 12:25..
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 14:22   #318
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Oh, now you want to move the goal posts?

From the Link YOU posted as your evidence.

Yeah except one is a workplace accident and the other a homicide. now you want to maintain there is no difference between deaths due to accidents and those due to deliberate homicides?

You're getting pretty desperate.
You folks are moving the goal posts. Bottom line is that LEO is far from the most dangerous occupation.

Difference to whom? Do I care if I get shot in the neck or crushed when a pipe sling slips and drops 10T of pipe on me? How about if the chopper I'm riding out 50 miles into the Gulf suffers catastrophic failure and for a few minutes before I die I'm pretty sure I know what's coming?

Does my widow?

And LEO?

Quote:
Line of Duty Deaths: 173
9/11 related illness: 6
Aircraft accident: 1
Animal related: 1
Assault: 5
Automobile accident: 35
Drowned: 4
Duty related illness: 7
Explosion: 1
Gunfire: 67
Gunfire (Accidental): 5
Heart attack: 11
Heat exhaustion: 1
Motorcycle accident: 5
Stabbed: 2
Struck by vehicle: 4
Training accident: 1
Vehicle pursuit: 4
Vehicular assault: 12
Weather/Natural disaster: 1

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 10-11-2012 at 14:26..
Old 10-11-2012, 14:30   #319
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
You folks are moving the goal posts. Bottom line is that LEO is far from the most dangerous occupation.

Difference to whom? Do I care if I get shot in the neck or crushed when a pipe sling slips and drops 10T of pipe on me? How about if the chopper I'm riding out 50 miles into the Gulf suffers catastrophic failure and for a few minutes before I die I'm pretty sure I know what's coming?

Does my widow?

And LEO?
Do the math almost fifty percent of the LE deaths were homicides.

How many of the other deaths on the list you posted the link to were homicides?
Old 10-11-2012, 14:36   #320
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Your dishonesty is showing here. You posted a link to statistics on U.S. Workplace fatalities when it is pointed out that the LEO's are the only fatalities on that list that included homicides you come back with some nonsense about oil rig workers in Africa or some other third world country.
Old 10-11-2012, 14:39   #321
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Do the math almost fifty percent of the LE deaths were homicides.

How many of the other deaths on the list you posted the link to were homicides?
What the hell difference does it make if one dies in a homicide or a workplace accident when the topic is dangerous occupations? Dead is dead.
Old 10-11-2012, 14:40   #322
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Your dishonesty is showing here. You posted a link to statistics on U.S. Workplace fatalities when it is pointed out that the LEO's are the only fatalities on that list that included homicides you come back with some nonsense about oil rig workers in Africa or some other third world country.
Yes, because it really doesn't matter to a dead guy how he was killed.

Lots of people endure far greater danger on the job daily than does your average LEO in the U.S.
Old 10-11-2012, 14:42   #323
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:

Does my widow?
Seriously?

well next time there is a post about LE accidently killing someone (Bad shoot, car wreck) or even if one deliberately murders someone I'll remind you that there is really no difference than if the person had died in an accident or were struck by lightning.

Old 10-11-2012, 14:45   #324
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Lots of people endure far greater danger on the job daily than does your average LEO in the U.S.
That is certainly true and I never said otherwise I simply pointed out that of those on the list you posted LEO's were the only ones facing death by accident AND deliberate homicide.
Old 10-11-2012, 14:46   #325
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
That is certainly true and I never said otherwise I simply pointed out that of those on the list you posted LEO's were the only ones facing death by accident AND deliberate homicide.
Which wasn't even the topic.

But I think it hurt your ego a bit to know that LEO wasn't most dangerous, so you inserted a little irrelevant misdirection and attempted to redefine.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 10-11-2012 at 14:49..