Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2012, 14:01   #1
BlisteringSilence
Secret Squirrel

Going old school, need some advice

All,

We have a new Sheriff, and we're going old-school. Gone are the days of our nice comfortable navy blue BDU uniforms with soft badges and nametapes, as well as my treasured nylon duty gear.

Nope. No more.

Leather with shiny brass for the belt, and shiny gold on the nametag and badge, and sheriff's green pants with a nice khaki shirt. No word on hats yet, but I'm pulling for a brown stetson (if we're going to go, I say we go all the way).

That being said, I have NEVER bought or worn leather gear before. I've worn nylon since I went to the academy in 2004, as have most of the guys that I work with. Our troopers are the only guys and girls around that still wear leather, and they weren't issued opinions about them that they can share with me.

There is some good news: I'm one of the 3 guys that gets to pick what our new duty gear is. The Sheriff wants basketweave, and he wants brass snaps and buckles. Other than that, he wants us to be as comfortable as possible, while presenting a neat and uniform appearance.

So, I need help. Talk to me about leather and leather-looking duty gear. What's good? What's not good? The only thing that's decided at this point is that we'll all be getting the same 6360 holsters that we have now, just in the basketweave finish instead of the STX black we have now. Are there things about particular brands or lines that I need to worry about? Educate me, I claim ignorance.
BlisteringSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 14:05   #2
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Do Safariland, or Bianchi accumold.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 14:54   #3
GRIMLET
Deceased

Thats going to be expensive.
3 uniforms
Badge/collar brass/name plate
Hat
Full leather duty rig

I am guessing around 900 for each deputy. Am I close? How many deputies are in your Sheriffs Office?
Will you also be required to wear low quarters/cowboy boots?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 15:14   #4
bubbles911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisteringSilence View Post
The only thing that's decided at this point is that we'll all be getting the same 6360 holsters that we have now, just in the basketweave finish instead of the STX black we have now.
I love my 6360 in STX Basketweave... if it's available in your weapon model, I'd suggest that. Looks good and easy to maintain. And I love my Safariland gear. It's pretty easy to find it, and usually has more options. (Disclaimer: I've only used Safariland & custom made gear.)
bubbles911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 15:49   #5
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Safariland or Bianchi Accumold Elite. Both are actually Safariland products these days. The Safariland will have more of a classic appearance, the Bianchi will be a little more comfortable. The Bianchi pouches may hold up a bit better (the Safarilaminate stuff tends to scuff after hard use), but the way it (Bianchi) attaches to the belt (nylon loop) is not necessarily as solid and pouches can tear off the loops over time. The Bianchi is probably marginally cheaper, as well. It definitely will NOT look as "classic" as the Safarilaminate stuff.

Go with STX Basketweave on the holsters. Looks every bit as professional as the Safarilaminate, but is durable like the STX tactical and is much less expensive. STX Basketweave is available in some pouches as well, but not sure about selection of snaps with said pouches.

I will say that although it is disappointing to see you losing your preference in gear, it looks like the sheriff at least wants to try for something comfortable, and that's better than nothing.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 15:49   #6
BlisteringSilence
Secret Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
Thats going to be expensive.
3 uniforms
Badge/collar brass/name plate
Hat
Full leather duty rig

I am guessing around 900 for each deputy. Am I close? How many deputies are in your Sheriffs Office?
Will you also be required to wear low quarters/cowboy boots?

I don't see any way to get it in at $900 each. We're budgeting $1,200 for patrol, with 60 sworn full-time, 15 sworn part-time, and 35 sworn reserve. Reserves and part-time will only get 1 uniform set.

$450 for leather gear
$375 for 3 sets of uniforms with tayloring and sewing
$150 for the hat
$200 for badge, hat badge, collar brass and nameplate

The baliffs have always worn Class A's, but they'll be changing to the new color scheme. On the bright side, they only need new uniforms.

The uniform thing is a bit of a drag, but we're getting a 75% bump to the training budget, so I'll take the slightly annoying to go along with the good.

I've seen quite a few recommend the Bianchi accumold and accumold elite. What are the differences? And is the weight really on par with Nylon?

Also, how about durability? And how bad is maintenance?

Additionally, we've always had officer's discretion on boots, those come from a twice a year allowance. As long as they're black and the leather bits are shiny, you're good to go.
Old 11-29-2012, 15:58   #7
BlisteringSilence
Secret Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I will say that although it is disappointing to see you losing your preference in gear, it looks like the sheriff at least wants to try for something comfortable, and that's better than nothing.
I go back and forth on this same issue. While I love my duty uniform, and work on keeping it neat and professional, some of our guys have taken too much liberty in that regard. And the uniforms that the Sheriff has picked out are still comfortable, they're just not "soft." When I say soft, I mean we wore NOTHING that poked through the shirt. Embroidered badge, nametape, collar insignia, etc. But I'll get used to it. I'm just not enthused with breaking out the brasso.

Same thing with the colors. I'll miss the dark navy for its ability to hide in the dark, but I won't miss it working extra duty at the 4th of July in the sun when it's 105 outside. Also, despite what 5.11 says, ALL NAVY UNIFORMS FADE. We used to wear Propper, and they turned a nice purple color. The 5.11 ones we went to about 3 years ago turn more blueish.

Also, on the holsters. We carry Glock 21's, and the guys and girls are about 75% with lights and 25% without. I don't seen an option for the 6360 in STX basketweave, just normal basketweave. Are they the same thing?
Old 11-29-2012, 17:08   #8
steveksux
Massive Member

Get stx basketweave, heard its way more durable and half the price.
Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 17:33   #9
Agent6-3/8

Another vote for Safariland or Bianchi Accumulate Elite. While I prefer one of the above, my current department issues Gould & Goodrich. Its decent stuff, but a notch down from Safariland and their subsidiaries, IMO. I really can't complain about it though. I've always had to use hi glass gear but given he choice, I'd like to try basket weave. I like its classic old school look.

Old 11-29-2012, 17:49   #10
bubbles911

Quote:
Also, on the holsters. We carry Glock 21's, and the guys and girls are about 75% with lights and 25% without. I don't seen an option for the 6360 in STX basketweave, just normal basketweave. Are they the same thing?
I carry the G21 w/ light in the STX Basketweave.

(here's both models)

http://www.copquest.com/23-0796.htm

http://www.copquest.com/23-0803.htm

Last edited by bubbles911; 11-29-2012 at 18:08..
bubbles911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 18:03   #11
CW Mock

Safariland or Bianchi Accu-Mold Elite.

Might ask if you can go with hidden snaps - cut back on some of the brass polishing. If you can't - use Mothers aluminum and mag polish. Leave the brasso at home.

CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 18:14   #12
GRIMLET
Deceased

We had leather Don Hume when I first started. It was nice.

GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 18:47   #13
rudeboy3

I would fight hard for hidden snaps, plastic buckle basketweave belts, and fake leather. We have to use these stupid leather belts (Ranger belts) and they suck. Everything else I use is Safariland STX or Accumold basketweave.
Old 11-30-2012, 00:11   #14
scottydl

Quote:
I've seen quite a few recommend the Bianchi accumold and accumold elite. What are the differences? And is the weight really on par with Nylon?
Only one will work for you... Accumold is the nylon webgear style you have now, Accumold Elite is the synthetic leather lookalike that comes in smooth or basketweave finishes.

I had Accumold Elite with my previous agency and now have true leather with my current agency. The Elite is considerably lighter, but may not look QUITE as professional when it comes to Class A's. You'd probably want to see them side by side to make a fair comparison. The Elite belts do have the added advantage of being fabric-backed, so they can be attached via hook-and-loop (Velcro) to the inner belt if you have one that's compatible. Wear it tight enough to "stick" all the way around and you almost don't need belt keepers.

Quote:
Also, how about durability? And how bad is maintenance?
Honestly I've never had the need to regularly maintain any of my duty gear. But in general, some flaws can be brushed/polished out of true leather. If the Accumold Elite nylon surface is damaged, it's probably ripped and would have to be replaced.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 00:41   #15
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Old time, eh?

Don Hume, Tex Shoemaker, or Ted Blocker for the leather gear [real leather]. Leather can be repaired and damage polished out. Dry clean only Flying Cross long sleeve shirts and ties year round and suitable western walking style boots. Felt Stetsons year round - no straw. Metal framed aviator glasses - A.O. military issue or Ray Bans - no Oakleys. Badge and name tag only, no ribbons, no q-pins, no wings, no pledge pins, nada. Command staff wears uniforms year round with no civilian clothing on duty whatsoever.

Dump the plastic pistols and everyone carries a S&W N frame with a minimum caliber of .357 Magnum - all with Magnum ammunition, blue is okay, but nickle is better. No Tasers, just a custom built 26 to 30 inch hardwood straight stick. Ithaca Deerslayer 12 gauge shotgun with the 8 round mag tube.

Cars? Nothing less than American made and the biggest V-8 one can stick under the hood. No SUVs either.

Go all out or tell the new Sheriff that he's a sissy.

Bastard! - TBO

Last edited by blueiron; 11-30-2012 at 00:42..
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:15   #16
lopak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
Old time, eh?

Don Hume, Tex Shoemaker, or Ted Blocker for the leather gear [real leather]. Leather can be repaired and damage polished out. Dry clean only Flying Cross long sleeve shirts and ties year round and suitable western walking style boots. Felt Stetsons year round - no straw. Metal framed aviator glasses - A.O. military issue or Ray Bans - no Oakleys. Badge and name tag only, no ribbons, no q-pins, no wings, no pledge pins, nada. Command staff wears uniforms year round with no civilian clothing on duty whatsoever.

Dump the plastic pistols and everyone carries a S&W N frame with a minimum caliber of .357 Magnum - all with Magnum ammunition, blue is okay, but nickle is better. No Tasers, just a custom built 26 to 30 inch hardwood straight stick. Ithaca Deerslayer 12 gauge shotgun with the 8 round mag tube.

Cars? Nothing less than American made and the biggest V-8 one can stick under the hood. No SUVs either.

For the win .....
lopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:23   #17
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

the old school look is damn sharp if the cop is in shape.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:02   #18
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
the old school look is damn sharp if the cop is in shape.

No uniform really makes a fat guy look good.

Cop Talk

Looking like WC Fields doesn't help either.

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:58   #19
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
Old time, eh?

Quoted for truth and respect to the old days. I've still got a bunch of Boston Leather pouches and keepers from when I was a cadet....
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:00   #20
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Oh yeah, you forgot that sideburns are mandatory and must extend to just above the bottom of the earlobe as well as the 'stache.....neatly trimmed and will not extend past the corners of the mouth....
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote