Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 19:07   #1
sappy13

OWB Leather Carry Questions

Now that jacket season is here, I want to start carrying my Glock 19 in an OWB leather holster. Im currently looking at Nightingale, Zlongonje, and TT Gunleather. I am pretty sure I am going to get one in FBI cant for concealability.

My question though is what difference, other than ease of taking on and off, does having Snaps instead of pancake style loops make. I really like the idea of being able to take it on and off without debelting, but I dont want to sacrifice closeness to body or anything for a small convenience.

Also, Black or Cordovan for a FDE Glock. Black seems to be the easy answer, but I I love how Cordovan looks.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:12   #2
SCmasterblaster

Good question

I would think that holsters that can unsnap from the belt allows for a gungrabber to do it. Maybe I am wrong . . . .
Old 10-08-2012, 19:14   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

I dont prefer snaps or paddles for carry. Only reason snaps and paddles is exist is for LEO's who enter secure facilities several times a day and its easier than threading your belt through. My agency, and many others I would presume, have directives that prohibit removing your gun from the holster when indoors.

For serious daily carry I like good old fashioned belt slots.

I have a Don Hume H721 thumbreak for each pistol I own. They are affordable and hold up well. The most used is for my daily carry P239 and its in good shape after many years.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:22   #4
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
For serious daily carry I like good old fashioned belt slots.
So do I!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:24   #5
Patchman
Florist

Loops/slots over snaps. The snaps can eventually wear out, or worse, pop off the leather.

When I remove my holster/gun, I have to undo the belt, but it's not that much more inconvenient.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:16   #6
Orive 8

Another one that agrees with the belt slots for EDC.

I EDC a Glock 19 in a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard. As good as it gets for an OWB holster - as far as I am concerned. Have been using this style of holster since +/- 1992. To include plain clothes carry while on duty.

Lots of good holsters being made at this date and time, everyone has opinions and everyone is different on what he/she likes. Good luck with your choice.

Remember, the belt and mag pouch are just as important in your carry gear.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51   #7
xrmattaz

I'm all for snaps.

Been using the same Alessi CQC-S for twelve years now for my G20/21's......and basically the same holster for my G17 from Ritchie Gunleather.

No OWB holster offers better concealment and comfort for me.
G17Gen4,G19,20SF,21SF,21Gen4,23Gen2,38,39
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:55   #8
Hugo R
Gaff G26 User!

I'm with the belt slots crowd however, I've moved from good old fashioned leather to good old fashioned plastic! Safariland ALS Belt Holster http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6377 for me! I have one for my G26 and for my G17. Super secure, super comfortable and super fast!

JM2C, HR

Last edited by Hugo R; 10-09-2012 at 16:56..
Hugo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 18:08   #9
CA Escapee
Finally!

All of my OWB holsters have slots. Some of the IWB holsters I have do have straps & snaps, though.

When I use the ones with snaps I've found that they're only easier to use when removing the holster because you don't have to un-do your belt. But, when it comes time to slip the holster back into your waistband I find threading the straps with snaps on them between your pants and belt a real pain. (those things have a mind of their own) My Galco Summer Comfort or Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 come to mind. It's much easier if I un-do my belt. But "undressing" in a car in a parking lot isn't my idea of being discreet.

The Don Hume 721 open top and Kramer Horsehide Belt Scabbard work well for me. The cant is perfect for my arm length and where I like the holster on my belt. (4:00-4:30)

I prefer black, but I did buy a Don Hume "brown" 721 and it really is a red Cordovan.

Bill
CA Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:37   #10
sappy13

Well it sounds like the majority of people prefer slots. Any preference for pancake vs say an Bruce Nelson inspired Avenger/Professional. Google has told me that the pancake holds tigher/closer to the body, but re-holstering one handed is harder, especially with a wider gun like a glock. Avenger seemed to be considered very comfortable though.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 20:10   #11
SCmasterblaster

My OC rig

Is a Bianchi No. 4/4L for my G17 at 2-3 o'clock. My jacket or sweatshirt covers it nicely.
Old 10-09-2012, 21:13   #12
CA Escapee
Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy13 View Post
Well it sounds like the majority of people prefer slots. Any preference for pancake vs say an Bruce Nelson inspired Avenger/Professional. Google has told me that the pancake holds tigher/closer to the body, but re-holstering one handed is harder, especially with a wider gun like a glock. Avenger seemed to be considered very comfortable though.
I have both styles. The pancake style does seem to hold the gun closer to me. I think the reason for this is the slots are farther apart on the pancake style which tends to wrap the holster around your waist. (at least my 33" waist) This tightness is the retention for the pistol. Want more retention, cinch your belt tighter.

I have Ted Blocker X-16 holsters which are patterned after the Nelson Avenger. I've used both pancakes and X-16's in IDPA matches and it seems that I can draw from the X-16's quicker because they aren't as close to me. I also have a very unscientific theory that the closer a holster is to me the less comfortable the pistol will be and vice versa. (pure jenius, right )

Most Avenger style holsters have a reinforced mouth, I'm not sure the pancakes do. The Kramer Horsehide Belt Scabbard is a pancake style, but it's hard like Kydex making it stay open and easy to re-holster.

Bill
CA Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:42   #13
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

My only OWB holster with snaps is of crossdraw design that I wear only while driving. This design allows me to remove the holster before exiting the vehicle. All the other OWB holsters have belt slots.