Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-04-2012, 23:24   #1
krisspy

Stoeger Cougar .45 owners

I'm looking at purchasing my first .45 ACP. The Stoeger Cougar .45 caught my eye, however, I haven't been able to find one locally to handle. I'm concerned that the grip will be too chunky. I have medium sized hands but I don't particularly care for the thickness of the grip on the Glock 21 that I tried. I'd like to know how does the Stoeger grip compare to the Glock 21? How does it compare to the G30 and G36? Thanks.
krisspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 23:30   #2
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I find the grip much more comfortable than any Glock's, but that's just personal preference.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:45   #3
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

I have owned a lot of 45s over the years. I have had a Stoeger Cougar as well. Everytime I try a 45 that is not a 1911, I always end up finding that the grip is just too big for my hands. I've given up trying.

The front strap of a 1911 is usually thinner, which. Makes the overall size of the grip thinner.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:55   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The Cougar .45's grip is fat but isn't quite as fat as a G21's grip.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:05   #5
nbkky71

Not a Stoeger owner, but I do own a Beretta mini-Cougar 8045 and a G21.

I'll second NeverMore1701's sentiment... the grip is quite comfortable compared to a G21, but it still a handful. The use of the reduced radius on the Cougar grip is what makes it fit the hand so well.

I only owned a G30 for a short time as I traded it for the Cougar 8045, but in order of comfort, I'd rate them in order (most to least comfortable)

Cougar 8045
G21SF
G21/G30

While the Cougar is comfortable shoot, I wouldn't consider using the Cougar as a carry gun due to it's chunkiness. For a gun as big as the Cougar, it only holds 8 rounds.
nbkky71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbkky71 View Post
While the Cougar is comfortable shoot, I wouldn't consider using the Cougar as a carry gun due to it's chunkiness. For a gun as big as the Cougar, it only holds 8 rounds.
It's blocky because of the stupid rail. Otherwise, it wouldn't be so bad.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:07   #7
gatorboy

I've got the 8040. I thought 9mm, 40 and 45 were all really close in size. I know the 45 is the only one with the rail. Mine is very, very smooth and tight. It's accurate and has never jammed. They say the action, which twists the barrel instead on dropping it makes it more accurate and recoil less. It may but I'm not sure about that. Academy had them with four mags for $399, they may still. Hogue makes thinner grip panels (for a price ) if you want thinner. 8+1 is pretty good for a 4" 45ACP, it's what the M&P compact has though it is probably taller. It'd make a great nightstand and range gun if nothing else.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:51   #8
69HEMI-R/T

I have a Beretta 8045F that I got used a few years ago and it does not have a rail. It is a very nice pistol but too big for anything other than a bed-stand or house-protection gun. It is a reliable and accurate platform.

The ambi-safety/hammer-drop lever on the slide also makes this gun just too wide to carry. Mine sees little use but I love it and will not get rid of it.

By the way, it is close to as wide as my G21 and both are a little too wide for me to IWB carry comfortably.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:46   #9
krisspy

Thanks for the info. Quite helpful. I went in looking for a HD gun; no plans to carry this. From what I've read here, I think I'm a step closer to ordering the Stoeger.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:58   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisspy View Post
Thanks for the info. Quite helpful. I went in looking for a HD gun; no plans to carry this. From what I've read here, I think I'm a step closer to ordering the Stoeger.
I compared my Stoeger Cougar 45 to the real Beretta Cougar 45 and other than the rail, the differences are minor. The finish on the Stoeger is more utilitarian while the finish on the Beretta was a bit prettier. Also, the Beretta action is typical of Beretta pistol action regardless of design: butter smooth. The Stoeger action is OK but it doesn't have that glass/butter smooth that typifies Beretta actions.

The Stoeger shoots well and it's cheap. That's good enough for me.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16   #11
krisspy

I finally got a Stoeger Cougar in .45 ACP from GunBroker. Very excited about it. Should have it in a few days.