GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-05-2012, 00:25   #1
cowboy1964

Vertical fore grip or angled fore grip for a middy?

Can't decide which to get. I think I would like the AFG and using the thumb-over-handguard style.

What works for y'all?

Last edited by cowboy1964; 09-05-2012 at 00:25..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 00:55   #2
surf

I went from nothing, to a standard VFG, to a stubby VFG, to an AFG, to my own modified AFG and now I am back to nothing. I also prefer a slim tube design forend. That is what works for me. If you browse my vids you will see variations of these.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 00:57   #3
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

I personally like a handstop over AFG or VFG, IWC makes a very solid stop
Old 09-05-2012, 01:57   #4
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

A handstop or other tactile position reference is really all a physically fit adult male needs. Some of the other items are useful to those lacking strength, balance, flexibility, or coordination. There is nothing wrong with using whatever you need to shoot to your full potential, but products can never replace practice.

www.louisianashooters.com
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:49   #5
Made Man
Glock-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
A handstop or other tactile position reference is really all a physically fit adult male needs. Some of the other items are useful to those lacking strength, balance, flexibility, or coordination. There is nothing wrong with using whatever you need to shoot to your full potential, but products can never replace practice.
I whole heartedly agree.
.40 S&W Club #423
Black Rifle Club #606
INFIDEL
Made Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:43   #6
M&P15T
Beard One

VFG from Tango Down.

You can grip with your hand in the area where it meets the rail and use it as a pseudo AFG if you want.

Plus, it holds batteries for my Eotech.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19   #7
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Personally, a VFG from training and experience. I mostly use it as a handstop, but there are definitely times the whole VFG comes in handy, usually in odd positions and angles.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:37   #8
cowboy1964

I guess I'm leaning toward a VFG since I will probably be adding a light at some point.

The Tango Down VFG looks nice and has a pocket for a remote light switch.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:47   #9
bmoore

I have nothing on my middy but I would like to try a handstop.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:23   #10
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

I don't use a remote switch, in fact, I generally hate tape switches with a passion and only run them when there's no other option.

Having killed around half a dozen tape switches on entries, even when they were ziptied down..... yeah. I avoid them.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
Old 09-05-2012, 12:37   #11
XDRoX

I've recently been watching all of the Magpul Dynamic videos.
It seems like most of their AR's have the vertical grip but they rarely use it as a grip, but they use it as a handstop.

Last edited by XDRoX; 09-05-2012 at 12:38..
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:56   #12
mjkeat

I'm a fan of nothing more than a firm grip on a tube such as the Troy or Samson.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 13:09   #13
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
I disagree. Using a vertical foregrip as it was designed to takes stress off the lower back when using longer rifles. I think you overestimate how many people on forums have adopted the thumb over bore style of shooting with tacticooled carbines. Being phisically fit and dealing with balance are similar, but different obstacles shooters have to deal with. It is not even a subject of total weight. Just balance.
Old 09-05-2012, 13:10   #14
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Neither for me.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 13:36   #15
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I went from nothing, to a standard VFG, to a stubby VFG, to an AFG, to my own modified AFG and now I am back to nothing. I also prefer a slim tube design forend. That is what works for me.
This is exactly the way I went except I didnít modify my AFG. I just took it off and put it in the drawer with all the other crap I donít use anymore.
Old 09-05-2012, 14:40   #16
thisaway

I have AFGs on both of my carbines. I like them, so I use them. YMMV.
Wheelhouse #452, 10 Ring#5744, Mil Surp & MBR# 3006, ad nauseam

"By and large, the most successful riflemen were the over-mountain men of Tennessee." Richard B. LaCrosse, Jr., The Frontier Rifleman

"....the man with the rifle knows." USA AMU
thisaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 17:26   #17
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
I disagree. Using a vertical foregrip as it was designed to takes stress off the lower back when using longer rifles. I think you overestimate how many people on forums have adopted the thumb over bore style of shooting with tacticooled carbines. Being phisically fit and dealing with balance are similar, but different obstacles shooters have to deal with. It is not even a subject of total weight. Just balance.
When someone with lower back issues uses a vertical grip, I see that as an example of someone making an adjustment due to not being physically fit. We are all temporarily ables.

www.louisianashooters.com
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 18:23   #18
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
When someone with lower back issues uses a vertical grip, I see that as an example of someone making an adjustment due to not being physically fit. We are all temporarily ables.
It has nothing to do with lower back issues. Your bicep and forearm are stronger than your lower back and with a thumb over bore grip what are you actually holding the front of the weapon up with?

But I digress. With the "training" style you are probably used to and the AR's you use, you aren't aiming the weapon long enough to see the difference.
Old 09-05-2012, 19:03   #19
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
It has nothing to do with lower back issues. Your bicep and forearm are stronger than your lower back and with a thumb over bore grip what are you actually holding the front of the weapon up with?

But I digress. With the "training" style you are probably used to and the AR's you use, you aren't aiming the weapon long enough to see the difference.
How long are you aiming your AR that it would cause physical issues?
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 19:29   #20
ronin.45

I never liked VFGs and have always run bare tubes up front. I recently went to an AFG more for a handstop than anything. On my SBR the barrel is several inches shorter than the forearm and if you hold it in the wrong spot it's a little warm.
Old 09-05-2012, 19:31   #21
jakebrake
cracker

love my afg. thats just me.
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 19:47   #22
Drucker

I use an AFG, it is a hand stop more than anything
Drucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:24   #23
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
How long are you aiming your AR that it would cause physical issues?

Doing patrolling training in 70+lb of gear, even a stripped M4 starts getting heavy after the 7,026th time you've snapped it up to cover your sector in the same day.

On duty, an 11lb M4 (M4, Comp M2, two kinds of irons for an M203, the M203, PEQ-2 and backup sights+ Surefire light), being rather front heavy, gets to be unbearable after even a few minutes aiming it at anyone.

Even from kneeling/supported it gets to be not fun real quick. That's when barricade-supported over a wall, or braced against a wall, Humvee, etc while covering someone gets to be handy.

Not everyone is in the same situation. VFG's came to be from the original 7" tube and strapping stuff all over it and needing a place to hang onto after that, as well as many people with less training time find it more natural using the original chicken-choker grip.

They work, but everyone makes up their own mind.
Old 09-06-2012, 22:31   #24
surf

Everyone has their own preferences and even mine has changed over time. Use what works for you and roll with it. If your style / situation evolves or changes, so will your preferences. While I am back to using nothing, I am still very comfortable with a VFG or an AFG.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 20:30   #25
FriscoCHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Foster View Post
This is exactly the way I went except I didnít modify my AFG. I just took it off and put it in the drawer with all the other crap I donít use anymore.
Can I have it?!