GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 18:55   #1
Gbannan
Senior Member
 
Gbannan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Chester PA
Posts: 201
KKM Barrel for G19

Is a KKM barrel for my g19 really worth it? I feel the gun is way more accurate than i'll ever be even with a upgraded barrel. Thoughts?
Gbannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 19:00   #2
GlocK_W0rK
Senior Member
 
GlocK_W0rK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicagostan, IL
Posts: 251
Only the best shooters will be able to take advantage of an aftermarket barrel. If you've built up the skill to do so, you're probably better off getting a fitted barrel rather than drop-in as well. Unless you're reloading, or want to shoot lead, I don't see a point in getting an aftermarket barrel.
__________________
Glock 17 Gen III
- Ameriglo Operator Pros, NY1 + "-" Connector, & Vickers' Slide Stop
- * Cold Bore Customs:
- * Rounded Trigger Guard w/ Under + Memory Cuts & Recessed Mag Release
- Barrel & Extractor in Electroless Nickel (Robar)
GlocK_W0rK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 19:03   #3
Gbannan
Senior Member
 
Gbannan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Chester PA
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocK_W0rK View Post
Only the best shooters will be able to take advantage of an aftermarket barrel. If you've built up the skill to do so, you're probably better off getting a fitted barrel rather than drop-in as well. Unless you're reloading, or want to shoot lead, I don't see a point in getting an aftermarket barrel.
Planning on reloading eventually but couldn't i reload brass from the stock barrel? Correct me if i'm wrong.
Gbannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 19:08   #4
GlocK_W0rK
Senior Member
 
GlocK_W0rK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicagostan, IL
Posts: 251
^

I don't reload, so I'm not sure. I know that the OEM barrel cause the brass to expand pretty bad; not sure if that affects the ability to reload though. Also, on an OEM barrel, if the reloads are too hot, watch out.
__________________
Glock 17 Gen III
- Ameriglo Operator Pros, NY1 + "-" Connector, & Vickers' Slide Stop
- * Cold Bore Customs:
- * Rounded Trigger Guard w/ Under + Memory Cuts & Recessed Mag Release
- Barrel & Extractor in Electroless Nickel (Robar)
GlocK_W0rK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 19:15   #5
Gbannan
Senior Member
 
Gbannan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Chester PA
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocK_W0rK View Post
^

I don't reload, so I'm not sure. I know that the OEM barrel cause the brass to expand pretty bad; not sure if that affects the ability to reload though. Also, on an OEM barrel, if the reloads are too hot, watch out.
The brass i've saved from my stock g19 barrel seems to have no buldges, however there is obvious buldges on my g20 brass that i've seen. Again, school me..

G20 brass was warm underwood..
Gbannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 20:58   #6
tango44
Senior Member
 
tango44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 5,324
No needs for it, get ammo and more training!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 21:10   #7
mikedelger@yahoo.com
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
reloading brass fired from a glock. have had no problems with brass from 19,21 or 30
mikedelger@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 21:11   #8
larson1122
Senior Member
 
larson1122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbannan View Post
Is a KKM barrel for my g19 really worth it? I feel the gun is way more accurate than i'll ever be even with a upgraded barrel. Thoughts?
I see no purpose for one unless you plan to shoot lead bullets.
larson1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 21:28   #9
G19 driver
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brandon Mississippi
Posts: 42
I put a KKM in my G19C. I did it just to have a non ported barrel. I don't care what anyone says but the accuracy is better with the KKM barrel. I really did not care just as long as the accuracy was not worse with the KKM. So the better accuracy was a bonus that I was not really expecting. It want make a bad shooter a better shooter though.
G19 driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 23:51   #10
sourdough44
Senior Member
 
sourdough44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 2,406
I wouldn't get a new barrel unless you planned to shoot a lot of lead, or were going for a 'conversion' with a 40 cal Glock. I have a KKM conversion barrel for my Glock 23, which works just fine.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 00:35   #11
21o'glock
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 22
KKM Barrel for G19

I bought a KKM barrel for my G21 Gen4, not for the reason of improving accuracy but for the ability to shoot hard cast reloads. I cast bullets and reload so I can shoot a lot. At defense / combat distances, the stock Glock barrel is accurate. Also accurate at longer distances. Check out Hickok45 on youtube where he rings the gong at 240 yards with any Glock he shoots, whether 3.5 inch or 4.6 inch barrel. The reason I went with KKM was research showed that the KKM was a finer quality on fit, finish and reliability than the Lonewolf barrel. Lonewolf goes for approx. $100.00 and I paid $165.00 + $10.00 shipping for the KKM but the quality of the KKM is superb. It dropped right in and I ran 75 rounds of various factory round nose, JHP, and 200 gr. hard cast SWC's through it both slow and rapid follow up shots and not one problem. Most of my work world was a close tolerance and high precision world and KKM is right in line with that. My experience has been that cheap price usually cost more and too expensive is not always the best. My opinion is that KKM is the best drop in barrel and the price is very reasonable for the quality you get. If your not going to shoot hardcast / lead, reconsider spending money on any replacement barrel and put that money towards ammo and training for your stock Glock barrel. If your looking to knock down bowling pins at 100 yards hand held, than get a S&W K-22 Masterpiece because that's what I used to do with mine. You have to keep in mind that a $500.00 to $6oo.00 Glock is a great all around gun with great proven reputation. If your looking for a 1000 yd. sniper handgun, it's gonna cost a little bit more.
Happy shooting,
21o'glock
21o'glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:05   #12
Gbannan
Senior Member
 
Gbannan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Chester PA
Posts: 201
Sold on ebay last night for like 150. Glad I got outbid...
Gbannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:17   #13
DannyR
Moderator
 
DannyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Posts: 38,273
My 1996 Gen2 G19 has 83,000+ rounds fired, mostly my reloads. It is still more accurate than I.
__________________
Lifetime GSSF Member
Certified Glock Armorer 1997-2015
NROI, Level I
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:45   #14
Bello
America/Italia
 
Bello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Coast
Posts: 2,206
Kkm sucks I have nothing but problems with them and they are overpriced seriously in all honesty get a lonewolf
__________________
-Rob-
Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 16:36   #15
JBP55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 8,146
I have owned at least 6 KKM barrels and they worked great. I would buy KKM again if I needed a non OEM barrel.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 22:21   #16
biker1958
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5
kkm barrel too big?

Just got my KKM barrel for my 34, won't quite fit right in the top of the slide, seems a hair too big, anybody had problems with this, I'm sure they'll fix the problem.

Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by 21o'glock View Post
I bought a KKM barrel for my G21 Gen4, not for the reason of improving accuracy but for the ability to shoot hard cast reloads. I cast bullets and reload so I can shoot a lot. At defense / combat distances, the stock Glock barrel is accurate. Also accurate at longer distances. Check out Hickok45 on youtube where he rings the gong at 240 yards with any Glock he shoots, whether 3.5 inch or 4.6 inch barrel. The reason I went with KKM was research showed that the KKM was a finer quality on fit, finish and reliability than the Lonewolf barrel. Lonewolf goes for approx. $100.00 and I paid $165.00 + $10.00 shipping for the KKM but the quality of the KKM is superb. It dropped right in and I ran 75 rounds of various factory round nose, JHP, and 200 gr. hard cast SWC's through it both slow and rapid follow up shots and not one problem. Most of my work world was a close tolerance and high precision world and KKM is right in line with that. My experience has been that cheap price usually cost more and too expensive is not always the best. My opinion is that KKM is the best drop in barrel and the price is very reasonable for the quality you get. If your not going to shoot hardcast / lead, reconsider spending money on any replacement barrel and put that money towards ammo and training for your stock Glock barrel. If your looking to knock down bowling pins at 100 yards hand held, than get a S&W K-22 Masterpiece because that's what I used to do with mine. You have to keep in mind that a $500.00 to $6oo.00 Glock is a great all around gun with great proven reputation. If your looking for a 1000 yd. sniper handgun, it's gonna cost a little bit more.
Happy shooting,
21o'glock
biker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:44   #17
Poohgyrr
trout fear me!
 
Poohgyrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sutter's Fort
Posts: 1,171


FWIW, Glockmeister posted a letter from KKM stating they have stopped supplying barrels to retail venders, due to ongoing orders from Gov't etc...
__________________
John Luke 22:36 Ephesians 4:26-32
357Sig Club #3531 S&W Club #10 BHP Club #35
"Life brings both sorrows and joys alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Poohgyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:27   #18
SouthpawG26
Senior Member
 
SouthpawG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Suriname
Posts: 1,032
Like a few posters above, i have found no problems with reloads and lead through OEM 9mm barrels. I have a 26 and a 17 both pushing 75000+rounds of lead round nose.

The .40 however, are a different story. Our club's IPSC Standard shooting team (Standard=USPSA Limited, with shorter mag extensions) has 15 G35/22, each one running an aftermarket barrel (mostly LWD) with better case support for reloads, both lead and FMJ.

But: I have yet to come across a notable, measurable and consistent accuracy increase from a drop in aftermarket barrel on a Glock...if better accuracy is your (only) goal, keep your money.
__________________
Delta Victor Charlie

Last edited by SouthpawG26; 07-01-2012 at 05:30..
SouthpawG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 23:15   #19
ithaca_deerslayer
Senior Member
 
ithaca_deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Posts: 19,456
I can't see it changing accuracy for the better, unless you are really good. A lot better than me good. And if you are, then you would only laugh at my words anyway
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:04   #20
SouthpawG26
Senior Member
 
SouthpawG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Suriname
Posts: 1,032
There are so many areas with large amounts of free play on the Glock's design that just improving the barrel to slide lock up, isnt going to make night and day difference in accuracy, in my experience.

Which is not to say that stock Glocks arent accurate.

With enough practice, sub 3" groups at 25yards can be shot all day, and thats with the subcompacts.
__________________
Delta Victor Charlie

Last edited by SouthpawG26; 07-02-2012 at 09:07..
SouthpawG26 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:38.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,222
374 Members
848 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42