GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:12   #21
Big Mad Dawg

What is easier to believe that people have been on earth only 9000 years or that slime turned into primates that then became people? Ok the missing link can be explained by a study of liberals so maybe I will believe a mixture of creation and evolution now.

Why so serious

If you don’t have any horses you must saddle your dogs - Dr. Saad
Big Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:21   #22
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mad Dawg View Post
What is easier to believe that people have been on earth only 9000 years or that slime turned into primates that then became people?
Um, the one with all the scientific evidence?
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:14   #23
Chronos

Quote:
What is easier to believe that people have been on earth only 9000 years or that slime turned into primates that then became people? Ok the missing link can be explained by a study of liberals so maybe I will believe a mixture of creation and evolution now.
You might want to keep up with exactly how obvious biological evolution has become in recent years:

If you've already accepted that "violence against the innocent" is a morally legitimate means of funding the government, who are you to complain when the majority apprporiates your legacy and sells your children into a lifetime of debt slavery?
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:27   #24
Big Mad Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
You might want to keep up with exactly how obvious biological evolution has become in recent years:
I know my ancestors were not apes but if you want to believe yours are not a problem I support that you came from ape linage.

Why so serious

If you don’t have any horses you must saddle your dogs - Dr. Saad
Big Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:34   #25
Chronos

Quote:
I know my ancestors were not apes but if you want to believe yours are not a problem I support that you came from ape linage.
I'll be happy to quote you on this for context, any time you claim or imply that you know something on this forum.
If you've already accepted that "violence against the innocent" is a morally legitimate means of funding the government, who are you to complain when the majority apprporiates your legacy and sells your children into a lifetime of debt slavery?
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:04   #26
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

If you believe in a god, any god, the atheists here will consider you stupid and/or ignorant.

Any belief in a power greater than man is a fantasy to them.

It won't matter how educated you are or how successful you are, as a believer you are beneath them.

This persons personal beliefs don't matter a bit to me. How he intends to govern is what is important.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."

Last edited by happyguy; 10-07-2012 at 06:23..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:32   #27
GAFinch

I love how so many "conservatives" nowadays vehemently support anti-religious Marxist atheism.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:42   #28
nmstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
If you believe in a god, any god, the atheists here will consider you stupid and/or ignorant.

It won't matter how educated you are or how successful you are, as a believer you are beneath them.

This persons personal beliefs don't matter a bit to me. How he intends to govern is what is important.

Regards,
Happyguy
No one said anything about his believing in god. God and evolution are different,non-exclusive things. Try to keep up.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:49   #29
IvanVic

Quote:

Regards,
Happyguy
Sounds like an awfully broad generalization.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:12   #30
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanVic View Post
Sounds like an awfully broad generalization.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
It is.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:14   #31
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmstew View Post
No one said anything about his believing in god. God and evolution are different,non-exclusive things. Try to keep up.
What do you think his opinion of evolution is based on?

Regards,
Happyguy

Old 10-07-2012, 08:17   #32
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
"Apes" in the modern sense of apes, we agree, and evolution does not argue otherwise.

You do, however, share a common ancestor with apes whether or not you're comfortable with it.

-ArtificialGrape
Old 10-07-2012, 08:17   #33
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maggy View Post
How do people like this get elected and re-elected? More importantly, how does someone that believes the Earth is only 9,000 years old get placed on the house committee for Science, Space, and Technology? It seems like that committee assignment directly contradicts who this man is.
It's called freedom. There has been a very long debate over in GTRI about how little we really know about the origins of the universe. In fact, the big bang may not have been a bang at all, there are some really interesting ideas that maybe it was a BIG CHILL instead.

To think that we have all the answers is rather arrogant, considering the short amount of time our planet has existed when compared to the universe, and how short mankind has existed on the planet. I think it's been for a lot longer than 6,000,000 years, but that's my opinion. We haven't traveled much either. We've just recently left the solar system (maybe), but only with a probe with 35 year old sensors and processors. That is a very short distance on a cosmic scale. Lots of people have some pretty good stories, none of them witnessed. It is discomforting to some to admit that they have to have faith to believe in what they believe, even the atheists. Most of what you know was told to you by others (books count). Most of what you have learned about things outside of your lifetime and outside the limits of your own personal travel, you were told. If you'll think about it, you did not do the experimentation to verify on your own, much of what you believe.

I am a very committed agnostic. I believe the earth is very old. I believe that there are some problems with evolutionary theories that cannot explain how intermediate structures that don't work, can result in increased procreative ability. The fact is that the universe doesn't add up just yet. But I don't have to claim to know that I know how all of what is came to be. It is what it is, and from what I've been able to learn, I've realized just how little we really know. Mankind has done a lot, but can't do a lot of things too. We haven't even mastered our own bodies, let alone answered all of the mysteries of the universe.

As far as religion goes, as long as it doesn't make you want to strap bombs to your kids and send them into crowded markets, I'm OK with it. The country was founded by people that wanted religious freedom, and I think that anyone that wants to deny them that is a stinker.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 10-07-2012 at 08:22..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:45   #34
certifiedfunds
Tewwowist

Quote:
As I understand it, sometimes men in cages sometimes revert to flinging poop.

Coincidence?

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:59   #35
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Stupid? No.

Ignorant as in lacking specific knowledge of what the theories actually say or what evidence exists? Quite possibly.

Willful ignorance is also a possibility, and pretty much a certainty for somebody that holds a Young Earth outlook such as Rep. Broun. Young Earth Creationism is as scientifically untenable as the Flat Earth Society.

In order to hold a Young Earth outlook one must reject the evidence of:
  • physics/cosmology -- Big Bang and age of earth/universe
  • biology -- evolution
  • geology -- plate tectonics / rejection of a Great Flood / age of earth
  • chemistry -- radiometric dating / age of earth
  • paleontology -- fossil record / evolution
  • anthropology -- evolution
  • botany -- evolution
All while living surrounded by the comforts and conveniences that modern science provides.

-ArtificialGrape
Old 10-07-2012, 09:13   #36
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Forgot to add that many Christians are able to reconcile evolution and other modern science with their faith, so it is not a dealbreaker for them. The Clergy Letter Project has collected the signatures of 12,822 Christian clergy men and women as of 9/30/12. They "believe that the timeless truths of the Bible and the discoveries of modern science may comfortably coexist. We believe that the theory of evolution is a foundational scientific truth, one that has stood up to rigorous scrutiny and upon which much of human knowledge and achievement rests. To reject this truth or to treat it as “one theory among others” is to deliberately embrace scientific ignorance and transmit such ignorance to our children."
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46   #37
certifiedfunds
Tewwowist

To accept a literal interpretation of the Bible is to choose an interpretation and deny the dynamic message of holy inspiration.

To believe the Bible's account of how the world was created is just plain ignorant.

Rush Limbaugh
Old 10-07-2012, 10:03   #38
JBnTX
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post

To believe the Bible's account of how the world was created is just plain ignorant.
What if the person who wrote that account was ignorant (as in lack of knowledge), and explained it the best way he knew how?

In communications, the sender is responsible for the understanding of the message, not the receiver. The author of the creation story failed to communicate it clearly to you.

God did NOT create the Earth in seven days. What he created in seven days was the present surface of the Earth.

The very first sentence of the Bible contains Billions of years and accounts for the creation of heaven and Earth.

God has re-worked the surface of the Earth countless times since the Earth was created billions of years ago.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:32   #39
certifiedfunds
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
What if the person who wrote that account was ignorant (as in lack of knowledge), and explained it the best way he knew how?

In communications, the sender is responsible for the understanding of the message, not the receiver. The author of the creation story failed to communicate it clearly to you.

God did NOT create the Earth in seven days. What he created in seven days was the present surface of the Earth.

The very first sentence of the Bible contains Billions of years and accounts for the creation of heaven and Earth.

God has re-worked the surface of the Earth countless times since the Earth was created billions of years ago.
LOL whut?

Rush Limbaugh
Old 10-07-2012, 10:36   #40
IvanVic

Quote:
It is.

Regards,
Happyguy
So you're complaining about people of faith being generalized, and at the same time you're guilty of generalizing atheists.
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote