Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:01   #1
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

45lc

Is there a definitive list of 45LC loads currently being manufactured?

It is time to get some more. I am trying to decide what to get.

I would also like to see any terminal information.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:59   #2
fredj338

Think of the 4colt as a 45acp, they are close w/ sim bullet wts. Not many good SD loads for it; Win STHP, Speer GDHP, Federal LSWCHP, about it. I would be fine w/ any of those in a good DA rev. The other option would be a good 250grLSWCHP handload @ 900fps, very effective.
Caliber Corner
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 15:29   #3
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Think of the 4colt as a 45acp, they are close w/ sim bullet wts. Not many good SD loads for it; Win STHP, Speer GDHP, Federal LSWCHP, about it. I would be fine w/ any of those in a good DA rev. The other option would be a good 250grLSWCHP handload @ 900fps, very effective.
Caliber Corner
True, but I am looking for something a little different.

I have a derringer in 45LC-410.
I also have a Remington 1858 which I plan on getting a conversion cylinder for.

The derringer has always been a little painful to shoot, but I have been tempted to carry it when picking berries in snake country with 410, but it would be nice SD load in 45LC.

The Rem1858 is going to be interesting. As I understand it, it should do better with a light bullet in .454.

I would go about reloading, but I can not do that where I am.

So right now I am just looking for a compiled chart of what I can buy.
Old 10-24-2011, 22:43   #4
Ak.Hiker

Check out the Buffalo Bore 225 grain hardcast wadcutter standard pressure anti personnel load. Looks like a good one to me.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 21:48   #5
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Well, I now have the 1858 conversion ready to run. So it is time to revisit this thread again.

Talk to me about the best standard pressure loads in 45LC. I also need some cheaper round for plinking as I am not where I can reload my own.
Old 10-14-2012, 22:04   #6
FFR Spyder GT
Ex-Gunslinger

RWBlue,

I didn't think the '58s cylinder was long enough for .45 Colt loads.

I shoot .45 Schofield loads in my Taurus Gaucho. I use Trail Boss for light "Cowboy" loads.

For a SD handload any of the .45 ACP bullets will work.
FFR Spyder GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 22:32   #7
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR Spyder GT View Post
RWBlue,

I didn't think the '58s cylinder was long enough for .45 Colt loads.
Yep, it is long enough. I got it all together tonight. I even dropped a few old reloads in the cylinder just to see they all fit.

I just wish I was someplace I could setup reloading. Instead, I am forced to shoot factory ammo.
Old 10-14-2012, 22:48   #8
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

Got a cinder block?

And bad taste in television.....

TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48   #9
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Got a cinder block?

And bad taste in television.....

Using Lee Classic Loader to reload 45 colt - YouTube
Nope. No cinder block. No rubber hammer. And the neighbours would probably complain if I was hammering all the time.

I did think about using a Lee hand press, but it the measuring of the powder that concerns me. I want to be more accurate than I can be with scoops and there is no place to set up a scale and powder on carpet just doesn't sound like a bright idea.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:19   #10
Tiro Fijo

Your Italian '58 Rem. clone most likely has a barrel groove diameter of .454. If you shoot over the counter lead bullets, which are hard as hell and almost surely .451 - .452, you'll get leading out the yazoo most likely. These conversion cylinders are made for CAS (Cowboy Action) shooters who almost to a man shoot real blackpowder in them. I know a fella who blew one up with smokeless reloads.

No offense, but this was not a good choice in cal. nor gun for a non-reloader. You'll go broke buying .45 Colt factory ammo.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 14:52   #11
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Your Italian '58 Rem. clone most likely has a barrel groove diameter of .454. If you shoot over the counter lead bullets, which are hard as hell and almost surely .451 - .452, you'll get leading out the yazoo most likely. These conversion cylinders are made for CAS (Cowboy Action) shooters who almost to a man shoot real blackpowder in them. I know a fella who blew one up with smokeless reloads.

No offence, but this was not a good choice in cal. nor gun for a non-reloader. You'll go broke buying .45 Colt factory ammo.
No offence take, but I this isn't my first rodeo. Telling me I must reload is idiotic.

First, as stated before, I have no place to reload safely so by definition, it isn't the safest thing to do.

Second, I have been in communications with the manufacturers. There is no reason NOT to use smokeless powder. That is one of the benefits of using a cartridge conversion.

To blow up a conversion unit, the guy must have made a VERY big mistake or was trying to see just how far he could push the limits. Or to put it more succinct, HE IS AN IDIOT. Don't stand next to him at the range because if he is able to blow up a conversion gun he will probably blow up other guns as well.

Cost isn't an issue.

Last edited by RWBlue; 10-15-2012 at 14:52..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 15:06   #12
RichardB
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Is there a definitive list of 45LC loads currently being manufactured?

It is time to get some more. I am trying to decide what to get.

I would also like to see any terminal information.
Definitive List? Is there really much difference in the standard cowboy loads? You can sort this list in many ways including weight of bullet.

http://ammoseek.com/?from=resultspag....submit=Search

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 17:11   #13
fredj338

I wouldn't own a 45colt if I had to feed it factory anything. So get the crappy Lee hand press, better than not reloading at all. It will make fine ammo, just really sloooow. In your conversion, you want to use std pressure 45colt loads, not anything made for the Ruger or even the BB stuff. Stick to anemic cowboy stuff or reload to that level.
BTW, reloading is safer than remvoing paint. So it isn't a safety issue at all. You also need very little space. I reloaded in college in a 2x3 coat closet on a ss press. You could get it all setup using Lee stuff for under $250. At $25/50+ for factory 45colt, it wouldn't take many rounds to pay for the gear.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 10-15-2012 at 17:15..
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 17:50   #14
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
Definitive List? Is there really much difference in the standard cowboy loads? You can sort this list in many ways including weight of bullet.

http://ammoseek.com/?from=resultspag....submit=Search
Thank you, that is helpful.

Decisions decisions.
I just need a nice wide flat point and maybe a couple different weights of bullet.
Old 10-15-2012, 17:58   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I wouldn't own a 45colt if I had to feed it factory anything. So get the crappy Lee hand press, better than not reloading at all. It will make fine ammo, just really sloooow. In your conversion, you want to use std pressure 45colt loads, not anything made for the Ruger or even the BB stuff. Stick to anemic cowboy stuff or reload to that level.
BTW, reloading is safer than remvoing paint. So it isn't a safety issue at all. You also need very little space. I reloaded in college in a 2x3 coat closet on a ss press. You could get it all setup using Lee stuff for under $250. At $25/50+ for factory 45colt, it wouldn't take many rounds to pay for the gear.
I wish people would stop telling me to reload.

I have all the stuff, I don't have a place to do it. The apartment is full, the stuff is in storage.
Old 10-15-2012, 18:35   #16
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
...To blow up a conversion unit, the guy must have made a VERY big mistake or was trying to see just how far he could push the limits. Or to put it more succinct, HE IS AN IDIOT. Don't stand next to him at the range because if he is able to blow up a conversion gun he will probably blow up other guns as well.

Cost isn't an issue.
I guess he needs to sell his house and move into an apmt. to become smart like you.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 18:42   #17
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
I wish people would stop telling me to reload.

I have all the stuff, I don't have a place to do it. The apartment is full, the stuff is in storage.
Whatabumma!!
Old 10-15-2012, 19:11   #18
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I guess he needs to sell his house and move into an apmt. to become smart like you.
I don't see what good that will do him, but you could point him to Glocktalk. The reloading forum has several knowledgeable people there.

Then again, maybe he will not catch a clue until he loses some fingers when his next gun blows up.

BTW, for the record. I own a house, but it is not located where I work now.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:25   #19
RichardB
Silver Membership

Sample of .45 hunting loads from Midway. Maybe some of these are in the ball park for your requirements. But you won't know until you try them out. As is usual not all 45 loads are available 356 days a year. Explore, have fun and let us know your final choices, we all know that what we started looking for is not always what we end up with.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...nsionid=15604&

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”

Last edited by RichardB; 10-16-2012 at 08:25..
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 19:04   #20
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
Sample of .45 hunting loads from Midway. Maybe some of these are in the ball park for your requirements. But you won't know until you try them out. As is usual not all 45 loads are available 356 days a year. Explore, have fun and let us know your final choices, we all know that what we started looking for is not always what we end up with.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...nsionid=15604&
Yes, Midway Arms has a lot of good stuff for shooters.