Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2014, 18:29   #1
URGueyes

Are older shotguns better constructed than new ?

I'm in the market for a shotgun and as I am trying to decide what I should buy, I think about the recent discussions regarding older handguns(pre 1998) being better constructed than the newer models...the older have no MIM parts, better craftsmanship and quality control etc etc.

Does this school of thought also apply to shotguns? Should I be searching pawn shops for the pre '98 models or are the new shotguns constructed just as good ?

I am looking for a 12ga for HD.

Thanks
URGueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 18:47   #2
Gen421

ANY of the older firearms are better made than the junk the mfgs turn out today! Look at a 30+ yr old 870, and look at one made now.
Gen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 19:18   #3
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen421 View Post
ANY of the older firearms are better made than the junk the mfgs turn out today! Look at a 30+ yr old 870, and look at one made now.
I agree, but then again maybe I'm just getting old.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 19:40   #4
S9Man

Ithica 37 Police or Winchester 97. Slam firing is where it's at!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:34   #5
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Check out some of the medium to higher end guns and they work very well.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:05   #6
PhotoFeller

I have to say older is better. When I compare my 20+ year old Ithica, Browning and Winchester shotguns to models in the store today, there is a real difference. The older guns' fit and finish are way better. The stocks have better wood and better checkering.The actions feel smoother.

If you are looking for a well made affordable shotgun, older used guns probably represent the best value.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:18   #7
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Depends on what you mean.

Surely older firearms like a Winchester M12 or a Ithica 37 etc have beautifully machined receivers and other steel parts. Nice Walnut stocks etc. They just don't make em like they used to....

However, newer shotguns made to good specification can be both ultra reliable and more durable than their 20th century counterparts. Look at something like a Benelli semi-auto shotgun...ULTRA reliable, very well made and certainly infinitely utilitarian and WAY more durable in a duck blind than a wood and steel model 12.

So it really depends on what you are comparing the older guns to... Looking at an older 870 vs. a new production model...no contest. The old one wins hands down from a fit and finish standpoint and from a smoothness of action standpoint. But a modern production 870 is still a dependable firearm that might occasionally have some production quirks like a rough chamber which is easily fixable. Shouldn't come that way...but they do. People bemoan the plastic trigger housing like the aluminum one was something special. 1. They make entire handgun frames out of polymer now...think GLOCK...yeah boy...someday when Glock makes a quality aluminum frame gun I'll buy one! Hah... (that was sarcasm in case you missed it. 2. I have never seen anywhere--not even on the internet--where someone had their 870 plastic trigger housing fail... FWIW...Benelli puts plastic trigger housings in all their shotguns.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:33   #8
Booker

My one big issue with any older/used gun is was it "fixed" by a Dremmel Tool Gunsmith!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 15:28   #9
SmithietheFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen421 View Post
Agree completely when it comes to the 870. But overall, the Benelli SBE II is the best shotgun in the world and IIRC it has only been in production for about 10 years or so. I drag mine thru the mud every year from the Eastern shore of VA to the Mississippi marshes and it runs like new money every time.

Always looking for German Weatherby Customs and Stoner 63A parts and accessories.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:50   #10
aippi

So what has changed in the 870? Must be something since so many of you say the older ones are better. Please explain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:32   #11
Inebriated

Metallurgy is better now, machining processes are better and more consistent now, materials are better now (sorry wood/blue fans), and aftermarket products are better. In fact, the only thing that is "better" about old shotguns, is the fact that they are old and well-broken in.... Everyone turned out bad stuff 50-60 years ago as well, the only difference is that the junk guns got lost in time, and the survivors are the only ones you see. And people weren't on forums complaining about every little thing.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:37   #12
Gator Monroe

Would a 1967 Ruger 10/22 be better than a 2014 Ruger 10/22 ? Thusly a 1959 Ithaca Model 37 would be better than a 2014 Maverick 88 ...
Gator Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:58   #13
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URGueyes View Post
Should I be searching pawn shops for the pre '98 models or are the new shotguns constructed just as good ?
Seems like this bit needs a bit of clarification based on the replies........

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 19:55   #14
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
Metallurgy is better now, machining processes are better and more consistent now, materials are better now (sorry wood/blue fans), and aftermarket products are better. In fact, the only thing that is "better" about old shotguns, is the fact that they are old and well-broken in.... Everyone turned out bad stuff 50-60 years ago as well, the only difference is that the junk guns got lost in time, and the survivors are the only ones you see. And people weren't on forums complaining about every little thing.
If it weren't for MIM and plastic parts I could almost agree with you.

Modern manufacturing is capable of making better guns now then 30 years ago. It's just that not all manufactures implement it properly.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 21:13   #15
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post

Modern manufacturing is capable of making better guns now then 30 years ago. It's just that not all manufactures implement it properly.
I'm not convinced that properly-made MIM or polymer parts make for a lesser gun. It may not feel as nice as a blued chunk of milled steel, but it doesn't make for a lesser gun.

I do agree that not everyone takes advantage of the technology at-hand and gives it their 100% attention, but the technology is there.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 21:36   #16
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post

I agree.

Side notes.
I have a Sears and Robucks fixed full choke. It runs. It was an OK for hunting shotgun, but never was any good with any slugs I could find.

But my Rem870 Express I bought back in 80s? is much better. I changed barrels so I have iron sights and shorter barrrel. Change out the chokes. Added an extended tube. Added a side saddle.

As I understand it, I could buy an other Rem870 and do the same to it. But the finish isn't as good and I could buy some non-mim parts...IF I have issues with them. OR buy a Police. Or buy....

But lets go a different direction, I couldn't buy a Vepr or Saiga in the 80s. Got a Vepr recently. I haven't had a chance to test it, but assuming it runs...it beats the 11-87, 1100, Browning A-5.....for a tactical gun right out of the box. Once I add a polychoke, I will be ready to rumble. 100 rounds ready to go. Quick change from buck to slug to bird to ....

The MP94 I bought is a great combo gun. I did test it this past weekend. I need to try it with something besides full choke, but....it pattered to good (with good factory loads, my buck was all over the place).
Old 09-03-2014, 21:39   #17
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
Thusly a 1959 Ithaca Model 37 would be better than a 2014 Maverick 88 ...
A Maverick doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as a 37.....and it's arguable that a current production 37 is better made than the old ones.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 21:44   #18
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
A Maverick doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as a 37.....and it's arguable that a current production 37 is better made than the old ones.
I don't know, what is it again that the Ithaca 37, old or new, can actually do that the Maverick 88 can't? I only ask because, practically speaking, I can't think of much.

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 21:52   #19
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post

Would I trade my 40 year old 37 'even' for one built today? Not a chance.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:03   #20
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Would I trade my 40 year old 37 'even' for one built today? Not a chance.
Ditto.
The current crop of their riot guns are not in the same league nor do they even resemble the smooth lines of the original model 37 (later 87).

Add to that an inflated price tag of $800 and you see why the "new" Ithaca Gun Company may go the way of the old company; sad.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote