Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:39   #1
billy b

glocks & lead bullets

i have four glocks, 19,21,23;26. i was at first worried about shooting lead bullets through my 21sf with all the talk of doom & gloom. i started off slow & kept an eye out for any signs of leading or other problems. i now shoot lead thought my 21 weekly. here's the best part it loves lead bullets.groups at 25 yards are well under 2''. loves bullet 68, 200 grains with 4.8 bullseye. tried 4.4 but it barely cycled the gun. my theory is the 45 doesn't go fast enough to lead even in glocks. i've shot three types of lead bullets. speer dry lubed 200 swc shoots great but i can't get it to feed 100%, it has a very short nose.
billy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58   #2
SJ 40

Have to agree shooting lead bullets through Glocks is much to do about nothing.
I have one particular G 22 that has well over ten thousand rounds of LCB out of her factory barrel.
Speaking of factory barrels I find they do clean up much more easily than conventional rifled barrels,I would also suggest cleaning throughly between jacketed and lead and vise versa. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:05   #3
FFR Spyder GT
Ex-Gunslinger

OMG!!!

You're shooting lead bullets in your Glock?!?!?

Everybody knows your Glock will kaboom after the 2nd bullet!

This has been posted 1,000 of times on GT.

Funny thing is, I have fired over 10,000 lead bullets through different Glocks BEFORE GT existed.

Spyder
FFR Spyder GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:07   #4
dhgeyer

Of course we all know that Glock officially advises against the use of lead bullets in their pistols. I was talking with one of their techs one day a few years ago, and he gave me a different, unofficial view, and requested that he not be named (which I've forgotten anyway). What he told me is that lead bullets are OK if:

1. Keep the velocity down.

2. Use hard cast lead bullets - not pure lead swaged ones.

3. Clean the lead out as best you can before shooting jacketed ammo.

4. Don't start with the hottest jacketed loads you can find right after shooting lead.

I haven't done it myself because I found years go the lubed, cast bullets dirty a semi auto way more than jacketed ones, and I just never felt the need to shoot lead. But his thoughts do sound like common sense to me.

I shoot a lot of lead bullets out of revolvers, and I learned a little trick a couple of decades ago. After shooting lead, shoot some real hot jacketed ammo through the revolver - all charge holes in the cylinder at least two shots each. Blows the lead right out and makes cleaning much easier. This is exactly what you DON'T want to do with a Glock!
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:09   #5
truetopath

I've been shooting lead out my 27 since I got it. I just clean it after each range trip.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
truetopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:41   #6
ejes

To me it makes sense why lead could eventually be a problem in a polygonal rifled barrel. An aftermarket barrel with lands and groves seems like a pretty inexpensive and easy insurance policy. Just drop it in when you want to shoot lead. To each his own.
ejes is offline   Reply With Quote