SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:18   #1
mac66
Plant the seed

Old school shotgun, reborn

I bought a Harrington & Richardson "Gamester" 12 ga bolt action shotgun at a police auction in 1984 for $10. It was kind of rough condition wise and has been sitting in my basement ever since.

Here's what it is supposed to be...They were made from 1949-1954

General Firearms Forum

Here is what I got...

General Firearms Forum

The good is that it has a walnut stock. It is also a repeater having a two round tube mag. Yeah, that and it works.

General Firearms Forum

The bad is that originally it came with a 28" bbl with an adjustable choke. The end of the barrel was pretty buggered up where someone tried to get the choke off and then just cut the barrel. The barrel was actually squished where they had it clamped. It was also missing the rear "dome" sight.

General Firearms Forum

Decided to try and refurbish it earlier this summer. I sanded the finish off of the stock. I put a bunch of coats of polyurathane on it to give it a tough finish.

The barrel was cut to 18". The bluing on the gun was spotted and faded and their were a bunch of dings, scratches and marks on it. I recently read about someone using high temp engine paint to finish a gun so being the cheapskate that I am I bought a can. Like some of the more expensive gun finishes the engine paint works better if you bake it on.

The gun was stripped, cleaned and prepped. I then heated it slightly and then sprayed it with the paint. I built tent out of aluminum foil and fired up my gas grill in the back yard. You want to cover the grill parts with foil so the grease doesn't cook off and get onto the gun. I baked on low for about 40 minutes and let it cool. I then resprayed it, cooked it for 30 minutes and let cool and then repeated it one more time. I used a low gloss black. It takes about a week to fully set up and it gets to be a very hard surface after about a month. It has held up well so far.

Turned out well I thought...

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

The original rubber butt pad was rotted so it was replaced. After carrying it up at my hunting property last weekend I am probably going to add sling studs, and maybe a fiber optic front bead.

Though not very light nor very handy to shoot what with the bolt action, it does shoot pretty well. I was keeping a decent pattern of bird shot on a target at 25 yards. Even through a few rounds of buck through it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 10-03-2012 at 12:45..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:30   #2
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Fantastic work. I love seeing people take what they have and work with it. Great job!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:31   #3
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Looks good!
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:18   #4
SigFTW

Very nice rework! can't beat the price too, you bought it for $23.95 less than what is sold for 60+ years ago!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 14:50   #5
69HEMI-R/T

Nice job redoing the H&R to a handier shotgun for you. Love the baked-on finish on the metal and the handrubbed finish on the stock. Congrats on a nice job.
Old 10-03-2012, 16:46   #6
cheapshot

Looks like a pretty damn good job to me!
cheapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 00:05   #7
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

Great report and great job.

Ever since my son got into trap this year I've reacquainted my self with the world of shotguns.

Somewhere in the back of my closet is an old Sears store brand bolt action 12 gauge I don't even remember who I bought it off of it's been back there so long. I believe it's a 30 inch barrel full choke. Had to order a firing pin from Numrich decades ago because the original had been broken. To this day I've never shot it.

This late summer I took an old, 1907 vintage Remington Model 11 12 gauge and replaced the fiber pad in the receiver, installed a new magazine tube and looking to get that out for a test shoot next week.

I've got this itch to go buy a brand new Remington 1100 that's probably going to get scratched at some point.

I still like looking at the oldies and the oddities too. Thanks for sharing.

Below is pic of the Remington. Some time I'll get a pic of that old bolt gun.

General Firearms Forum
Old 10-04-2012, 02:50   #8
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Looks really good! Heck, I'll even go crazy and double on your investment and actually offer you $20 for it.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:40   #9
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Good job.

"Back in the day" I used to drool over those things in the Sears catalog. I could dream about having one of them. The pumps and automatics were way to expensive (about 79.95 to $100.00) to even dream about.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:59   #10
mac66
Plant the seed

Apparently old bolt action shotguns are popular for turkey shoots. I don't mean turkey hunting (though that's what I took it to my property to do last weekend) I mean competitions where you win prizes. I learned this from someone who saw my shotgun and offered to buy it. Apparently they fix them up, put scopes and stuff on them and shoot them at long distance with slugs.

Thanks for all the comments. It was fun bringing the old girl back to life.

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 10-04-2012 at 08:01..
Old 10-04-2012, 16:43   #11
DairyFresh

It's nice to have something unique

Nice work man, proud of ya
Old 10-04-2012, 17:06   #12
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Wow! Really, really nice job.
Never tried a bolt action shotgun before.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:58   #13
Bruce M

Great restoration!
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 19:45   #14
method

[quote=mac66;19484279]Apparently old bolt action shotguns are popular for turkey shoots. I don't mean turkey hunting (though that's what I took it to my property to do last weekend) I mean competitions where you win prizes. I learned this from someone who saw my shotgun and offered to buy it. Apparently they fix them up, put scopes and stuff on them and shoot them at long distance with slugs.

Turkey shoots use shot. Guns are modified to shoot very tight shot patterns. You shoot at a very small 'x' from 20 yards or so. Closest pellet to the 'x' wins.

Last edited by method; 10-04-2012 at 19:46..
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 19:47   #15
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Apparently old bolt action shotguns are popular for turkey shoots. I don't mean turkey hunting (though that's what I took it to my property to do last weekend) I mean competitions where you win prizes. I learned this from someone who saw my shotgun and offered to buy it. Apparently they fix them up, put scopes and stuff on them and shoot them at long distance with slugs.

Turkey shoots use shot. Guns are modified to shoot very tight shot patterns. You shoot at a very small 'x' from 20 yards or so. Closest pellet to the 'x' wins.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 19:51   #16
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
Thanks for that info. I didn't know, I was just guessing.

Old 10-04-2012, 20:47   #17
bac1023

Very nice indeed

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 21:15   #18
mac66
Plant the seed

I am thinking that an old wood and steel bolt action needs a leather sling to keep it old school. I will be looking around for a basic leather sling for it. Might even make one. Nothing fancy, nothing too wide, nothing synthetic.

Last edited by mac66; 10-04-2012 at 21:16..
Old 10-04-2012, 23:11   #19
steve1911

Nice job, looks good.

1911club#410
Old 10-05-2012, 06:56   #20
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

After seeing your restoration, thought I'd throw up a few pics of this old bolt action scatter gun that's been buried in the closet for years.

I bought this close to 25 years ago and IIRC it was missing the magazine and had a broken firing pin. I was able to find both at Numrich and got it functional again, though I've never fired it.

It's a 12 gauge, 28" bbl, full choke Kessler Westchester "Buffalo Bill Cody" model. There is limited info on this model but from what I've scrounged up it was made by a firm in the years 1951-1953 in NY, targeted at the hardware store market. It was definitely a budget model shotgun.

The stock appears to be some type of hardwood (I've read on the web it was walnut but hard to judge on that), with a stamped trigger guard and stamped, laminated trigger and 2 shot magazine. Interestingly, it has no serial number, which I understand was not uncommon with certain arms makers in the pre-1968 GCA era.

The butt pad is hard rubber with no flex at all, and coupled with its relative light weight, I imagine this guy wouldn't be pleasant on the shoulder with high velocity hunting ammo.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum