SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:24   #1
cowboy1964

Electic cars have twice the global warming of internal combustion cars

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/repo...onal-vehicles/

And these are the people that are going to save you from yourself and take care of you cradle-to-grave?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:54   #2
callihan_44
INFIDEL

doesnt matter, it makes libs "FEEEEL" better about themselves....
callihan_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:54   #3
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Don't let Al Gore find out.
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 13:01   #4
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Assuming there was 'global warming' ......

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 13:20   #5
Gundude

Quote:
Originally Posted by callihan_44 View Post
doesnt matter, it makes libs "FEEEEL" better about themselves....
Exactly, it's like airport security. It doesn't address the problem at hand, but its mere presence makes people feel better that "something is being done".
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 14:03   #6
JFrame

Ah...The wonderfully predictable consequences of imposing a political agenda on practical realities...

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 14:45   #7
jeepinbandit
Sgt. USMC

Send a message via Yahoo to jeepinbandit
I could have told them that when the cars were on the drawing board. :/
Old 10-05-2012, 14:48   #8
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he sure made up global warming.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 14:54   #9
ModGlock17

Having spend some part of my technical career on this, I can tell you that PURE electric vehicles are not all that practical (limited range, etc.) and because you are starting to get so many electrical "toys" in the vehicle (GPS, Phone, Guidance System, ABS, Stability Systems,etc. all of which consume electrical energy). I forgot the figure now, but you'd need huge amount of kilowatt-hours just to keep these electronics working.

Pure EVs are viable in an on-campus setting, dashing among buildings. But not beyond.

Everybody in the business knew that. What makes electric drives viable in vehicles, is when you combine them with combustion engines, hence the term HYBRID electric. That, is viable and a good idea.

I can also tell you that I drive hybrids EVs, not because it saves gas by using it more efficiently, but because it is great fun to drive, in term of response and torque. When you press the gas pedal, you'd get immediate power coming from the electric drive. That makes the cars responsive, and quicker than any combustion-only cars.

And Yes, after 150,000 miles in each vehicle, I still have the original brake pads in them cars !

Last edited by ModGlock17; 10-05-2012 at 14:58..
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 15:11   #10
Gundude

They're also great for sneaking up on people. I heard they have to emit fake engine noise now in order to prevent that, but I'm sure that can be disconnected.
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:31   #11
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Liberals apparently think power comes out of their receptacles by either wind power or magic fairy dust... Not to mention what happens when you get in an accident, and burst all the highly toxic chemicals in those batteries into the ground.
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:33   #12
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Having spend some part of my technical career on this, I can tell you that PURE electric vehicles are not all that practical (limited range, etc.) and because you are starting to get so many electrical "toys" in the vehicle (GPS, Phone, Guidance System, ABS, Stability Systems,etc. all of which consume electrical energy). I forgot the figure now, but you'd need huge amount of kilowatt-hours just to keep these electronics working.

Pure EVs are viable in an on-campus setting, dashing among buildings. But not beyond.

Everybody in the business knew that. What makes electric drives viable in vehicles, is when you combine them with combustion engines, hence the term HYBRID electric. That, is viable and a good idea.

I can also tell you that I drive hybrids EVs, not because it saves gas by using it more efficiently, but because it is great fun to drive, in term of response and torque. When you press the gas pedal, you'd get immediate power coming from the electric drive. That makes the cars responsive, and quicker than any combustion-only cars.

And Yes, after 150,000 miles in each vehicle, I still have the original brake pads in them cars !
Meh... I'll race you in my little turbocharged four-banger.

Seriously though, I really like the idea of hybrids. And when they get more into cars that I both like (stylistically) and in my price zone, I'll buy one. And I believe it WILL get there.
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 19:33   #13
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

I'm still waiting for coal powered cars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 19:34   #14
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
They had those for a long time... the earliest ones had to ride on rails.

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 20:10   #15
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Quote:
They are here now. On average, an electric car is 50% coal powered, as about 50% of our electricity comes from coal-fired power plants.

The global warming idiots just don't get this.
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution."
- John Adams
jeanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 21:55   #16
ModGlock17

Quote:
The Amish buggies has coal stove inside passenger cabin. I guess they have larger carbon footprint than a Cadillac.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:13   #17
marchboom

How will people charge their electric cars after obama closes down everything coal related?

These democrats, they don't think very well, do they?
The obama administration and the democrat party...the ultimate in domestic corruption and dedicated to the destruction of the United States.
marchboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 18:50   #18
BORNGEARHEAD

“Our results clearly indicate that it is counterproductive to promote EVs in areas where electricity is primarily produced from lignite, coal, or even heavy oil combustion.”

So they are only counterproductive because we are still using coal? Then get off the dirty coal and get more wind and solar for power. Article must have been written by an oil man.
BORNGEARHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 19:01   #19
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNGEARHEAD View Post
“Our results clearly indicate that it is counterproductive to promote EVs in areas where electricity is primarily produced from lignite, coal, or even heavy oil combustion.”

So they are only counterproductive because we are still using coal? Then get off the dirty coal and get more wind and solar for power. Article must have been written by an oil man.
Given how effective and efficient solar and wind power are, I just can't imagine why someone would bother to tell the truth about what the cars amount to in this reality. Yup must be an oilman

countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 21:14   #20
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Given how effective and efficient solar and wind power are, I just can't imagine why someone would bother to tell the truth about what the cars amount to in this reality. Yup must be an oilman

I think we are butting up against a generation that believes dilithium crystals are for real.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote