Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:42   #1
hamster
NRA Life Member

Carrying a Glock 32 with a factory Glock 23 barrel.

Hi Mas,

I have a 32 that has been giving me lots of trouble. I suspect it is some combination of magazines, barrel and ammo choice.

Till I get the .357sig problems sorted out at the range, I'd still like to carry the pistol for self-defense. But obviously not in the troublesome configuration.

My question: Is it better to buy a factory Glock 23 barrel and run it in my G32, or just get rid of the offending G32 and buy a bone stock G23*.

--
*I know you advocate carrying stock pistols for legal purposes. Also, I expect that the serial# on the factory replacement barrel would be different than that of my frame. While saving money is good, I don't want to put myself at increased legal risk due to saving a few bucks.

Thanks in advance
-Hamster
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:20   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Hamster, can you tell me specifically what barrel, magazines, and ammo you're using now? What exactly is the trouble the gun is giving you? How many .357 rounds do you have through it, and when was the last time you changed the recoil spring?

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:28   #3
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Ayoob View Post
Hamster, can you tell me specifically what barrel, magazines, and ammo you're using now? What exactly is the trouble the gun is giving you? How many .357 rounds do you have through it, and when was the last time you changed the recoil spring?

best,
Mas
It is a brand new Gen 4 G32 with the factory barrel in it. Rounds were Speer GDHP loaded into new brass by Georgia Arms (my #1 Suspect).

From the first shot, every single round fired resulted in a failure to feed with the hollowpoint cavity catching at the bottom of the feed lip. I've not had a chance to try other rounds, but I did try some older Gen3 mags and had the same issue.

I have a ton of 40 Cal mags laying around and have wanted to get the G23 barrel for cheaper practice with .40 rounds anyway. Do you think that it is a good idea to carry with a non-stock barrel?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:37   #4
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Plan A: try some different ammo. The Gen4 G32 I tested for the current issue of American Handgunner ran great.

Plan B: No reason not to get a Glock G23 barrel.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:25   #5
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas Ayoob View Post
Plan A: try some different ammo. The Gen4 G32 I tested for the current issue of American Handgunner ran great.

Plan B: No reason not to get a Glock G23 barrel.
What ammo did you use for the American hand gunner article? Any hollowpoint SD rounds you'd recommend?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:38   #6
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Test team and I used a bunch of different loads including reloads. Accuracy testing was done with Speer Gold Dot, Winchester white box JHP, and Federal American Eagle FMJ, all 125 grain. Personally, when I carry a .357 SIG it's with either Gold Dot or Remington Bonded Golden Saber, but HST tests very well and there are good field reports on Winchester Ranger in the same weights.

best,
Mas
Old 10-10-2012, 12:44   #7
hamster
NRA Life Member

Thanks Mas, as always your advice is greatly appreciated. I will definitely give the ol' 32 one more Spin with different Ammo before I give up on her.