SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-10-2012, 15:27   #1
bdcochran

Ontario sk5 survival knife

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...survival-knife

Earlier this year, I obtained an Esee-4, obtained an aftermarket kydex sheath and aftermarket scales (because the factory ones were too short). Came close to perfection. It pushed up the acquisition cost to a level higher than I just paid for the Ontario sk5.

I then started researching fixed blade knives that were a bit larger or longer and came up with the Ontario sk5 that came in today.

I posted the Field and Stream review citation as it says much of what I would say.

It is like an older brother. No serrations. Full tang, of course. The handle is a bit longer than that of the revised Esee-4. This means it hangs down just the right length for my large hand to use the butt as a yawara stick. The blade is straightforward and without all the bells and whistles (read striations and serrations). It is a bit shiny and as the published review indicates it might be darkened if you treated it as a combat and not a survival knife. The knife is about 1 inch longer, overall than the full tang esee-4 with about 1/2 inch longer in the exposed blade and the handle.

I paid about $135 delivered. I will need to sharpen the blade more than I did on the Esee-4.

The sheath is quite excellent and a cut above the quality of most sheaths sold with factory knives today.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote