Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:24   #1
Radam3

Has anyone else noticed...

I've been watching most of my tv via dvr. And over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of stations have taken to showing a "commercial" for the actual show you are watching about half way through the normal commercial block. Each time causing me to stop fast forwarding through the commercials thinking my show was back on.

Granted I'm not one of those folk who watch via dvr just to skip the commercials, hell half the time I forget I'm watching the dvr and still watch them. Lol. So it's not a huge deal, just annoying. They're always finding new ways to make tour watch ads!

Rant over.

Before you can lead, you must refuse to follow
Old 10-05-2012, 08:29   #2
brisk21

Yes I have noticed that. I AM one of those people who skip through ads. DVR is one of the best inventions of the last 20 years. Still, commercials are not nearly as annoying as the damn pop up ads here on Glocktalk!! IBTL-LOL!!!
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:53   #3
Adjuster

Sorry about hijacking the thread but seems like you guys might be knowledgeable on the subject. Can I purchase a standalone DVR that is not tied in to any cable TV provider? If so will it search the TV shows I want to record by internet or something and automatically record every episode? I want it to work just like the one the cable companies provide but I don't want to get one from the cable company. I guess if it doesn't have the auto search and record feature that is ok as long as it does have the capability to manually set it up to record my shows on a weekly basis. I am talking about set it up one time and it will record the show every week until I tell it to stop.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59   #4
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Sorry about hijacking the thread but seems like you guys might be knowledgeable on the subject. Can I purchase a standalone DVR that is not tied in to any cable TV provider? If so will it search the TV shows I want to record by internet or something and automatically record every episode? I want it to work just like the one the cable companies provide but I don't want to get one from the cable company. I guess if it doesn't have the auto search and record feature that is ok as long as it does have the capability to manually set it up to record my shows on a weekly basis. I am talking about set it up one time and it will record the show every week until I tell it to stop.

/
Tivo does that but you have to pay for the service. You could build your own with a PC but that is not trivial.

Not only do they do the ads using the show, they have been placing more products in the show. Burn Notice/Hyundai is a good example.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39   #5
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

What are these commercials you speak of?
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote