Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-08-2012, 15:04   #1
vart

Local crime rate conspiracy?

I used to live in Marshalltown, IA in the mid-90's. I was working as a carpenter at the time and one of my co-workers told me about the big local conspiracy.

Apparently, the biggest employer in town at the time was Monfort, a huge pork processor, who also employed mostly "undocumented" hispanics at the packing plant.

My buddy told me that he was friends with a local cop and was told that the local paper was in cahoots with the meat-packing company to not report all of the horrible crimes that were occuring in the town of 25k.

The theory was that if the good townsfolks knew just how much rape and murder was being committed by the workers at the plant, then they would demand it be shut down and the illegals run out of town.

I do know the first time I ever heard gunshots in a city was in Marshalltown...

Last night, a friend of mine had just gone on a ride-along with the local cops in Prescott Valley, AZ and heard the same conspiracy theory. Only in this case, it is the local rich development family not wanting the true crime rate to be known since it will drive down property values...

I had no idea this was such a common conspiracy...

Any of you guys have a similar one in your area?

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:24   #2
uptomyneck

My county is 96% white. Our crime rate is low without a conspiracy.
uptomyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 16:46   #3
FCastle88

A nearby city actually does seem to have something like this going on. There's several colleges that are pretty much surrounded by a rather bad neighborhood, multiple shootings a week. My girlfriend recently graduated from one of them and two of her room mates worked for campus security. There was always something going on, be it out of control parties/underage drinking, vandalism, students pretty much rioting, even local gangs committing armed robberies of students on campus, once they even torched a couple cars. Somehow none of it was ever mentioned in the local paper, and other than crime there isn't much else to report in this town. There were several rapes on/near campus, and my girlfriend received the required notification from the school, but nothing was ever in the paper. The local police always seemed to find some excuse not to arrest students as well, usually just giving them a warning, or citing them for disorderly conduct. I know a few people who have reported a shooting, or had it happen right outside their house, and they checked the public police log and it had it listed as police responded to a minor disturbance or something like that.

Last edited by FCastle88; 10-08-2012 at 16:47..
FCastle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:03   #4
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

I have heard the same here, but newspapers are like criminal attorneys on crack for a story.

Although, I have had 1st hand knowledge of shootings that I never read about in the paper up to and including homicide from firearms.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:07   #5
JW1178

The media does not report the news, they report stories based on the news. You rarely hear about the crimes committed. They only report what they think will get them ratings. I don't care if it's NPR, DailyKos, MSNBC, CNN, Fox, IJ Review.....

They aren't going to report all these crimes, that would scare people. Gangsta's are the cool people and deserve to be respected. Not by me.

I know of these rather stupid people who say "you're chances of having to use your weapon are so slim that the dangers of carrying a weapon is much greater to you than the reason you carry" or something like that. They say how rare it is that someone is ever robbed or a victim of a violent crime. Really?

What is it, every 18 seconds a home is broken into? 1 out of 5 homes will be somehow robbed at some point? Other data: http://ovc.ncjrs.gov/gallery/posters...rime_Clock.pdf

A lot of people with their heads stuck in the sand, or somewhere else.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:00   #6
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
I know a few people who have reported a shooting, or had it happen right outside their house, and they checked the public police log and it had it listed as police responded to a minor disturbance or something like that.
Aren't the police departments required to provide accurate reporting of crimes to the feds?

Isn't there some federal database of crime statistics based on zip code?

Mine is 86314 and I'm sure it is much higher than my previous zip code of 83843...

Old 10-08-2012, 19:19   #7
Patchman
Florist

I have a subscription to my local neighborhood paper (a weekly paper), and according to their "Crime Column," only a dozen or less crimes occur weekly. Ah,... no. Major conspiracy all around!

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:43   #8
vikingsoftpaw

It's standard operating procedure is many areas. It is a method of imposing false security and maintaining property venues.

It has been well established that before the Atlanta Olympic Games, the Atlanta PD 'downgraded' crimes in their reports to make the city appear safer. Aggravated assaults recorded as simple assaults, property thefts recorded as lost property....

In my old Cleveland neighborhood, there was a gentleman's agreement between the ward councilman and the local weekly paper: No serious crimes were to be detailed in the police blotter section for certain section of the 'hood.

I know this to be fact because many things happened within earshot and nothing was ever mentioned in the media.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:48   #9
raven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
A nearby city actually does seem to have something like this going on. There's several colleges that are pretty much surrounded by a rather bad neighborhood, multiple shootings a week. My girlfriend recently graduated from one of them and two of her room mates worked for campus security. There was always something going on, be it out of control parties/underage drinking, vandalism, students pretty much rioting, even local gangs committing armed robberies of students on campus, once they even torched a couple cars. Somehow none of it was ever mentioned in the local paper, and other than crime there isn't much else to report in this town. There were several rapes on/near campus, and my girlfriend received the required notification from the school, but nothing was ever in the paper. The local police always seemed to find some excuse not to arrest students as well, usually just giving them a warning, or citing them for disorderly conduct. I know a few people who have reported a shooting, or had it happen right outside their house, and they checked the public police log and it had it listed as police responded to a minor disturbance or something like that.
same story at my college, My college only considers crimes on campus in their crime statistic so if a robbery happens on the other side of the street of the campus it is not counted in the crime statistic
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:13   #10
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven11 View Post
same story at my college, My college only considers crimes on campus in their crime statistic so if a robbery happens on the other side of the street of the campus it is not counted in the crime statistic
Actually, that's pretty standard. If the other side of the street belongs to somebody else (ie another jurisdiction), and a crime happened there, then it's attributed to that jurisdiction.

Which, of course, means with crime statistics, you have to read them carefully.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 10-08-2012 at 20:16..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:02   #11
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
I used to live in Marshalltown, IA in the mid-90's. I was working as a carpenter at the time and one of my co-workers told me about the big local conspiracy.

Apparently, the biggest employer in town at the time was Monfort, a huge pork processor, who also employed mostly "undocumented" hispanics at the packing plant.

My buddy told me that he was friends with a local cop and was told that the local paper was in cahoots with the meat-packing company to not report all of the horrible crimes that were occuring in the town of 25k.

The theory was that if the good townsfolks knew just how much rape and murder was being committed by the workers at the plant, then they would demand it be shut down and the illegals run out of town.

I do know the first time I ever heard gunshots in a city was in Marshalltown...

Last night, a friend of mine had just gone on a ride-along with the local cops in Prescott Valley, AZ and heard the same conspiracy theory. Only in this case, it is the local rich development family not wanting the true crime rate to be known since it will drive down property values...

I had no idea this was such a common conspiracy...

Any of you guys have a similar one in your area?
That makes sense to me. There are sections of Montgomery County, Md, where I grew up that the cops will not respond to calls without "back up" because the area has gotten too bad. The area is liberal and they lie about crime rates too. So what you describe seems normal to me.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:19   #12
ChiefWPD

Under-reporting of crimes is a major problem. Sometimes it happens because the chief of the local police department does not want to look bad, sometimes itís from political pressure for the same reason, other times the pressure is economic.

When a new and competent chief comes into an area, and demands that his staff have officers fully report the crimes in their area, the crime rate goes through the roof, although there is actually no real increase in criminality.

The only really solid crime rate one can depend on in many venues is the homicide rate. Itís really hard to pretend dead bodies don't exist...
Old 10-09-2012, 14:19   #13
plasticgunz
CLM Number
Swollen Member

Send a message via Yahoo to plasticgunz
This is talked about a lot on the Chicago cop blogs. "CompStat" or some such program. A couple of times small stories have been done on the Chicago news about it as well. Just gets swept under the rug.
"It's time to rid ourselves of the misbegotten idea that public safety can be achieved by unilateral disarmament of the honest citizen, and realize that the price of public safety is, like liberty, eternal vigilance."
plasticgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 15:03   #14
RonS

It's common in Great Britian, rape becomes simple assault, robbery becomes theft, little stuff just goes unreported in the stats. Same thing in college towns in the US, campus crime rates are huge in college ratings so there is a lot of incentive to under report.
Old 10-09-2012, 15:53   #15
lumpy76

Very common here. Have heard from people at the paper, cops, and people who I know that have been victims of major crimes.
lumpy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 16:42   #16
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
Aren't the police departments required to provide accurate reporting of crimes to the feds?

Isn't there some federal database of crime statistics based on zip code?

Mine is 86314 and I'm sure it is much higher than my previous zip code of 83843...
But since when is the media legally required to report this kind of truth? The fact that they usually don't exemplifies the subject of this thread.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:24   #17
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
But since when is the media legally required to report this kind of truth? The fact that they usually don't exemplifies the subject of this thread.
I mis-read the post I was quoting; I thought he was saying that the POLICE were not reporting the crimes accurately. I re-read it and saw that he meant what the paper printed...