Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:38   #1
*ASH*

installing ram >??

we have 2 desk tops and 2 new laptops , the desktop in my downstairs cave is a 04 Dell with only 512 ram/memory . i was gonna but a new tower but wife said no no lol . so can someone who knows very little install it ?? i want to keep xp as some programs and stuff i use you cant use windows 7 etc etc

or is it cheap enough to let a tech install it ??

any easy guides or how to ?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:42   #2
Resqu2

Most Dell's are simple but man an 04, just make sure you get the right kind an only buy what it will hold, maybe Dell can help with that info.
Resqu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:45   #3
G-Lock808

I've done it on an old hp laptop and a MacBook. Easiest computer hardware related install I've ever done. Actually, the only one I've ever done. Damn easy.
G-Lock808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:46   #4
G-Lock808

YouTube ram install, if you buy online, most sites have a quick how to video. I'm not handy at all and found it was a breeze to do.

Last edited by G-Lock808; 10-05-2012 at 02:47..
G-Lock808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:11   #5
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqu2 View Post
Most Dell's are simple but man an 04, just make sure you get the right kind an only buy what it will hold, maybe Dell can help with that info.

Go here http://crucialproducts.com/selector/

and plug your machine type in,

then go here http://www.newegg.com/ and get the memory.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:07   #6
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post

then go here http://www.newegg.com/ and get the memory.
That's tacky.

If you want to use the service of figuring out what RAM you need, the very least you could do is buy the RAM from there. Even if it's 10-15% or so more I'll buy from crucial every time because of this service they have for figuring out what RAM you need.

I pick up a lot of stuff from newegg as well but I guess I'll make sure to buy all my RAM from crucial. I, personally, would prefer them stay in business and everyone who uses their services but then does not buy from them is only looking short term. If they don't sell stuff, they don't stay in business so their service you're using won't be there tomorrow.

Last edited by HerrGlock; 10-05-2012 at 04:08..
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:23   #7
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
That's tacky.

If you want to use the service of figuring out what RAM you need, the very least you could do is buy the RAM from there. Even if it's 10-15% or so more I'll buy from crucial every time because of this service they have for figuring out what RAM you need.

I pick up a lot of stuff from newegg as well but I guess I'll make sure to buy all my RAM from crucial. I, personally, would prefer them stay in business and everyone who uses their services but then does not buy from them is only looking short term. If they don't sell stuff, they don't stay in business so their service you're using won't be there tomorrow.
Sorry HerrGlock, on this issue you are completely off base.

On their (Crucial's) own page, they have a "where to buy" link.

http://crucialproducts.com/where-to-buy/

and

http://www.crucial.com/support/where2buy.aspx

Newegg.com is on that page.

The truth is, Crucial does not care where you buy their memory.

Maybe I should have been clearer - I am recommending Crucial memory, I purchase memory for more than 200 computers or servers annually, and it's mostly only Crucial. Most of the times the drill is...

• Buy a server or workstation
  • Mfgr lists additional memory at 30-60% more than street price
  • Get additional memory from Crucial, or New Egg
For older machines, where I am too lazy to pull the spec sheet,

• Plug the express service code/service tag/make into the Crucial site finder,
  • Get the memory from whomever has it at the best deal.
  • If I am purchasing bulk quantities (over $800 - $1k), I typically purchase directly from wholesale (Tech Data or Ingram Micro...distant 3rd would be CDW)

Newegg.com sells a lot of Crucial memory (go ahead, ask me how I know).

I think it would be in poor taste to send someone to buy computer memory of a specific brand at one place, when a legitimate reseller has the same exact memory available for less money.

I am a bit surprised you don't keep up on this sort of information sir.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:24   #8
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

Deleted. Gallium just said what I wanted while I was finger pecking a reply.

Last edited by g29andy; 10-05-2012 at 04:26..
g29andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:26   #9
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g29andy View Post
except that Crucial RAM (and SSDs) are sold on Newegg as well as Crucial's site.

I've ordered from both, depending on what they have in stock, back ordered, or best deal ( bundles etc). Tacky has nothing to do with it. But not making use of a free tool to verify exact capacity, voltage, speed, latency, etc is silly.

Minute late and a dollar short sir.

Might I suggest a RAM or SSD upgrade for your slow-poke computer? Dare I say possibly even a boost in your connection speed? A fiber optic link upgrade?

( I outlined much of what you said with too many more words above )
Old 10-05-2012, 04:27   #10
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g29andy View Post
Deleted. Gallium just said what I wanted while I was finger pecking a reply.

again, I am fast on the keyboard. I got the deleted stuff too!

(Will delete if you want me to!)
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48   #11
tcruse

Yes, some memory is faster or more tolerant to harsh environmental factors. However, there is not one brand that is far superior to any other. Think about memory as you would ammo. Most will spend more to keep the older XP machine that the cost of replacement with something that is supported. Today, you should consider 6g memory and Windows 7/8 64 bit as the basic starting point. Office 2013 should hit rtm by end of the year.

With all of the exploits known in XP, you are not only putting your data at risk but also contributing to other issues that put all of us at risk. Ask yourself if you would leave a loaded gun sitting outside your front door?
tcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:10   #12
VC-Racing
General Flunky

You can go to Dells website and enter the service tag for your PC and it will tell you what upgrades are available for you PC.

You will need to figure out what speed you need and go from there. IIRC mine is DDR 2 5300 . My Dell is a Dimension 8400 built in 2004 is running XP , so I have 4 slots . I upgraded the RAM in my Dell from 1g to 4g. Its very simple. IIRC its about a 1 beer job, but if you like it can be stretched to a 2 beer job....

Once you determine what RAM you need , might i suggest a wrist grounding strap. they are about $5 . It keeps you grounded while you're working inside the chassis of your PC. Static is very bad.

Remove all CD/DVD 's from the trays and everything from the rear of the tower.

Once you open the tower, ground yourself, Gently pull the RAM from the mother board and replace it with your new RAM, just make sure its positioned in the slot and firmly seated.

While you in there you can use some compressed air to clean the dust from everything preferably before you start. Then close it up, reconnect everything and Fire it up.

Last edited by VC-Racing; 10-05-2012 at 07:15..
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:53   #13
lwt210

I don't know all that much about computers.

But make sure your system can support more RAM, what that figure is, and what your operating system can support.

I think xp is only good for up to 3gb....not sure though.

Your processor speed may factor in as well.

But RAM is easy to install for most folks and the suggestions here should get you on your way. Crucial's web site is great for plugging in your system make and model number and showing you what is available and compatible.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38   #14
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
That's tacky.

I don't find it tacky at all... I was going to post exactly what Gallium did (and have done so in the past).

I actually prefer Crucial RAM... and usually buy it from Newegg or TD.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46   #15
Drain You
NRA member

As noted above, don't buy more than you need. An XP box from 2004 may be limited by the motherboard to 1024MB (1GB) of RAM.

XP itself is limited to 2GB I believe. If your motherboard will take 2GB, just buy one 1GB chip and go up to 1.5GB. You'll notice the difference.

Mainly take care to not static electricity the crap out of the crap or your computer.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42   #16
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
we have 2 desk tops and 2 new laptops , the desktop in my downstairs cave is a 04 Dell with only 512 ram/memory . i was gonna but a new tower but wife said no no lol . so can someone who knows very little install it ?? i want to keep xp as some programs and stuff i use you cant use windows 7 etc etc

or is it cheap enough to let a tech install it ??

any easy guides or how to ?
Post up the exact model dell you have (Service tag would make things easier). We have a bunch of decomissioned DELL machines here at work that I may be able to send you some ram from.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:43   #17
VC-Racing
General Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain You View Post
As noted above, don't buy more than you need. An XP box from 2004 may be limited by the motherboard to 1024MB (1GB) of RAM.

XP itself is limited to 2GB I believe. If your motherboard will take 2GB, just buy one 1GB chip and go up to 1.5GB. You'll notice the difference.

Mainly take care to not static electricity the crap out of the crap or your computer.
XP is good for 4g IIRC if the motherboard supports it. , However is only recognizes 3.5 g . My XP laptop only recognizes 2g , but it only came with 1/2 g.

Laptop and desktop memory are different configs.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by VC-Racing; 10-05-2012 at 10:48..
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:23   #18
Detectorist

There's some good advice here, and then there is....hmmm

The absolutely first thing you want to do is to turn off the computer. Then unplug the power cord. Then push the power(on off switch) switch in for about 5 seconds. This is to release the residual power which may be stored in the capacitors, etc.

Another thing. Don't spray the insides with regular canned air. Make sure it's specially made for computers and electronics. Regular canned air can produce static electricity which can ruin your computer.

If your Dell is an Optiplex model, it may be covered by a lifetime tech support warranty.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:36   #19
VC-Racing
General Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
There's some good advice here, and then there is....hmmm

The absolutely first thing you want to do is to turn off the computer. Then unplug the power cord. Then push the power(on off switch) switch in for about 5 seconds. This is to release the residual power which may be stored in the capacitors, etc.

Another thing. Don't spray the insides with regular canned air. Make sure it's specially made for computers and electronics. Regular canned air can produce static electricity which can ruin your computer.

If your Dell is an Optiplex model, it may be covered by a lifetime tech support warranty.
My bad ... i should have been more specific about the compressed air. :Wavey:
I meant to say canned air compatible with electronics......

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-05-2012, 16:31   #20
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
There's some good advice here, and then there is....hmmm...

There is no such thing as lifetime tech support warranty on a DELL Optiplex.

hmmmm...
Old 10-05-2012, 17:31   #21
Wolfgang

Quote:

I used crucial, it read my computer, told me what to order, I ordered it, got it in a few days, installed it in about 5 mins. Takes longer to unplug, open the case, and plug back in. Will take a few minutes to load the first time, but all is good.

If I can do it you can do it.
Big Dawg #140
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 17:57   #22
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I used crucial, it read my computer, told me what to order, I ordered it, got it in a few days, installed it in about 5 mins. Takes longer to unplug, open the case, and plug back in. Will take a few minutes to load the first time, but all is good.

If I can do it you can do it.

Yes, there are two options.

Option 1 loads a small app that scans your computer.

Option 2 (what I suggested) is particularly helpful if your computer is not online.

Old 10-09-2012, 17:43   #23
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Minute late and a dollar short sir.

Might I suggest a RAM or SSD upgrade for your slow-poke computer? Dare I say possibly even a boost in your connection speed? A fiber optic link upgrade?

( I outlined much of what you said with too many more words above )
I was finger pecking an iphone, suppposedly the fastest iphone ever according to Tim Cook

Oh well, at least IBTIGF

Last edited by g29andy; 10-09-2012 at 17:46..
g29andy is offline   Reply With Quote