Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 13:07   #1
Reyn
Times Up

How often would you change oil based on time as opposed to miles?

If you averaged 5,000 miles a year,how often would you change your oil? I've had mine 6 months and still only at 3000 miles.

I did add a quart a month ago because it was low but it will be close to a year before I have 5-6,000 miles.

This is a truck given to me and it has 290k miles on it now 99 GMC.
Reyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 13:10   #2
Chiefret

I drive my Jeep less than 1000 miles a year so I figured once a year was fine.
Chiefret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 13:14   #3
The Hawk

Once a year will be fine. Congrats to who ever took care of that truck before you. Sounds like it still has someone that wants to keep it going. Good for you!
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 13:16   #4
DanaT
Pharaoh

Oil changes are not required.

It is a myth that perpetuated by big oil companies and auto manufacturer affiliated dealerships to rob citizens of billions of dollars each year.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 13:18   #5
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyn View Post
If you averaged 5,000 miles a year,how often would you change your oil? I've had mine 6 months and still only at 3000 miles.

I did add a quart a month ago because it was low but it will be close to a year before I have 5-6,000 miles.

This is a truck given to me and it has 290k miles on it now 99 GMC.
I'd probably do once/year and use Synthetic 10-30 oil, just because. If Valvoline still makes the Synthetic Max Life, that would be my first choice (synthetics can supposedly cause leaks in older vehicles, and Max Life is supposed to combat that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 13:23   #6
Reyn
Times Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
Once a year will be fine. Congrats to who ever took care of that truck before you. Sounds like it still has someone that wants to keep it going. Good for you!
Yeah,my father in law had it. He bought it from another guy when it had 100k. He has replaced the transmission twice but he pulled some good loads at work on a trailer.

It's a Z71 1500 Sierra. Only thing I replaced was some gaskets in the seats because around that time GMC had these plastic pieces in the seats that would eventually disintegrate due to the grease they used. This caused the seats to move ever so slightly when taking off or stopping.

Guy on eBay sells a kit for like 12 dollars and it works great.
Reyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:44   #7
goldenlight

I drive less than 6000 miles per year now.

I just change oil/filter just before the really cold weather hits every year.

I only drive my '88 Toyota Celica about 1000 mile a year now, and I change the oil/filter on that once a year too.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16   #8
The Machinist
No Compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyn View Post
If you averaged 5,000 miles a year,how often would you change your oil?
Every two years.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:09   #9
PhotoFeller

I'm in the low-mileage boat too, and my car is driven less than 2000 miles per year. The dealership says to change annually, but I don't see the logic of that.

This car does get started for a short trip once or twice each month, so the oil is circulated out of the pan and through the filter. It is in the southern US, so there is no exposure to freezing temperatures. The only contaminate getting into the oil might be...what? Condensation?

I'm not opposed to annual changes, but I just don't understand why a modern lubricant would break down under so little use. I really want to know the 'why' behind the annual change recommendation.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:12   #10
Tackle

I usually shoot for once in the fall and once in the spring...about 6 months apart. 2 years ago in a 6 month stretch I only put 900 miles on my daily driver!
Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:14   #11
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
I really want to know the 'why' behind the annual change recommendation.
I already explained it. It is a conspiracy that is controlled by the Illuminati and New world order to finance the large multinational oil companies which in turn makes you depend upon them and they are controlled by the New World Order and hence it is part of the UN scheme to take over and create a one world government. It all starts with oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Oil changes are not required.

It is a myth that perpetuated by big oil companies and auto manufacturer affiliated dealerships to rob citizens of billions of dollars each year.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17   #12
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Once a year.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:23   #13
Dan_ntx

I drive maybe 8000 miles a year, and I have the oil changed every 6 months.
Dan_ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18   #14
PhotoFeller

There must be a lubricant engineer or a good mechanic out there in GT Land who can explain what happens (or doesn't happen) to oil in an engine that is operated infrequently. Seems to me the answer lies in the basics of internal combustion engine operation and lubrication chemistry.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57   #15
Psychman
NRA Life Member

I really want a lucid answer to the OPs question also. One of my cars is driven maybe 2K a year.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:11   #16
ca survivor

I go every 3,500 miles oil and filter, not by time....
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55   #17
PhotoFeller

To change oil on the basis of time suggests that there is a 'shelf life' after which the lubricant loses it's effectiveness. Do constituents of the oil evaporate somehow in the vehicle's closed lubrication system? Do constituents break down over time, diminishing the oil's lubricating qualities?

When I visually check oil that has been in my vehicle after 2 years of very low mileage, it looks just like it did coming out of the original can. When the engine is started, oil is circulated through a quality filter that should remove any contaminates. I'm just thinking that a mileage-based oil change program makes the most sense; if a 2 or 3 year max time criteria is also followed just to be on the safe side, that seems reasonable, too.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:15   #18
CitizenOfDreams

My rule is "once a year" for dyno oil and "whenever I feel like it" for synthetic.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41   #19
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
I'd probably do once/year and use Synthetic 10-30 oil, just because. If Valvoline still makes the Synthetic Max Life, that would be my first choice (synthetics can supposedly cause leaks in older vehicles, and Max Life is supposed to combat that).
All motor oils rated GF-4 and GF-5 now have seal conditioner. It was not a requirement of the older GF-3 rating. Synthetic oils have all had seal conditioner longer ago that that but it's true the early synthetic oils had no seal conditioner and didn't swell rubber seals as much as conventional oils. Now synthetic and conventional oils all have seal conditioner.

I have two vehicles. I put about 5000 miles a year on them now. I used to drive a lot more though. I used to change oil every 3 months, then every 4 months, more recently ever 6 months and this year was the first year for 12 months, using extended drain synthetic oil. It still doesn't "look" very dirty.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:49   #20
GVFlyer

Annually on everything; it's required to maintain the warranties on the BMWs.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:04   #21
LEO/Dad
Navy Veteran

Contamination.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
There must be a lubricant engineer or a good mechanic out there in GT Land who can explain what happens (or doesn't happen) to oil in an engine that is operated infrequently. Seems to me the answer lies in the basics of internal combustion engine operation and lubrication chemistry.
Engines don't reach high operating temperatures on short trips. Moisture and contaminants from combustion in your oil will not get hot enough from your engine to burn these off. Anyway, this is the way it was explained to me. I change my truck oil twice a year, while I only drive 2000 miles a year.
LEO/Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:07   #22
Psychman
NRA Life Member

We are still waiting for the oil expert.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:13   #23
JDennis

I change mine once a year in my hot rods since they see maybe 1-3k miles a year, I go every 6 months in my truck since it is driven about 4k a year and still under warranty, my beater I go 5k miles per oil change time doesn't matter on that one since I drive it 12-15k a year
JDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30   #24
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
All motor oils rated GF-4 and GF-5 now have seal conditioner. It was not a requirement of the older GF-3 rating. Synthetic oils have all had seal conditioner longer ago that that but it's true the early synthetic oils had no seal conditioner and didn't swell rubber seals as much as conventional oils. Now synthetic and conventional oils all have seal conditioner.

I have two vehicles. I put about 5000 miles a year on them now. I used to drive a lot more though. I used to change oil every 3 months, then every 4 months, more recently ever 6 months and this year was the first year for 12 months, using extended drain synthetic oil. It still doesn't "look" very dirty.
I was not aware of that. I was always told that Synthetic can lead to leaks in older cars because the seals were intended to swell with conventional oil and did not do so reliably with synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:38   #25
PhotoFeller

My 2011 Toyota Sequoia maintenance schedule calls for oil changes every 5,000 miles or EVERY 6 MONTHS, which says that normal driving (12,000 miles/yr) under all road/weather/long and short trip conditions would require two changes per year.

I don't want to sound like I'm arguing on this topic. I'm really trying to understand what I need to do to protect my engines without being wasteful.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-04-2012 at 15:28..