SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2012, 18:38   #41
SouthpawG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerKen View Post
I think they are afraid someone will lick the slide and get cyanide poisoning.
There goes my quiet, happy, quality time with my Glocks...
Old 10-14-2012, 19:46   #42
AJE
*goes to 11*

Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridder View Post
That's true!!

When do people realize that Tenifer is not the finish on Glock slides!
And that Tenifer is with 1 "N" !

I found some interesting reading material on finishing.com

Like:
Gents, I can say with 100% certainty that the cyanide process that involves surface nitriding of metal is perfectly legal within the USA. I know this because I currently regulate 2 such processes right here in Springfield, Ohio. They both use a molten cyanide bath to introduce the nitrogen into the structure of the metal part being nitrided. Please see
www.hefusa.com and www.trutecind.com.

Jeff

Jeff Yinger
gov't - Springfield, Ohio

Remember that Tenifer is not a Glock-only thing....and that it is very important how the process (Tenifer) is applied to material....wether it's a slide or a crankshaft.

Because Tenifer is not a Glock-only-thing, I doubt that they can mention the Tenifer being applied to Glock pistols on their website when they don't.....
I think Herr Tenifer won't be happy with that....

So I think they still use the Tenifer process, regardless what Glock CS reps say......or people at Armorers Courses.....I think that they only tell you things that they have heard from others they have heard it from others etc etc.....but no one really knows.

The link: http://www.finishing.com/324/69.shtml
Small world, I drive past one of those places every day.

17g1, 17g4, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 34, 42
AJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 19:51   #43
AJE
*goes to 11*

Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babysinister View Post
I have 3 Gen III Glocks, all dated 2005 or 2006 production. Excuse my ignorance, but does the alleged cyanide hazard apply only to the manufcturing process or does it also posit an emission hazard while shooting or even handling the gun?
Unless you have a habit of chewing on parts of your gun, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you do, I still wouldn't worry about that, but I would worry about you.

17g1, 17g4, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 34, 42
AJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 20:03   #44
seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babysinister View Post
I have 3 Gen III Glocks, all dated 2005 or 2006 production. Excuse my ignorance, but does the alleged cyanide hazard apply only to the manufcturing process or does it also posit an emission hazard while shooting or even handling the gun?
Yes to the first part of the question and no on the second.
seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 21:12   #45
avenues165

I am new to Glocks, I picked up my first in 2011 and now have two, born in 2010 and 2011. I have no experience with the Tenifer-treated Glocks or the black shiny finish. But, my grey-finished non-Tenifer-treated Glocks are by far the best wearing pistols I have ever owned. I have never had any trouble with finish wear or metal wear in either my Gen 4 G23 or my Gen 3 G24. As far as I can tell they are built like tanks and will take all of the abuse I can give them.

However, I tend to treat my firearms very nicely (I am not trying to imply anyone else in this thread isn't). I definitely use them, but I keep them clean and maintained.

I am not trying to say that newer Glocks are superior. I am just passing along my experiences with my Glocks. If older Glocks are even better, all I have to say is, "WOW!"
avenues165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 23:19   #46
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

If the process was changed to meet the US' EPA requirements, does that mean that the Austria made Glocks still use tenifer?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:10   #47
DPris

Info from two Glock official sources (one being Emma) is that Glock dropped Tenifer on ALL slides in 2010.
Austrian or US, no more Tenifer.
Denis
DPris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:59   #48
LT642

In the last armor's class I attended, we were told to wipe down the slide with a light coat of oil. I just wonder what happened, remember the, "you only need oil in these spots, not too much."

I can attest to the fact that our newer Gen 3, G23, pistols are showing signs of rust if not cleaned at regular intervals. My Gen 2 G19 has never showded any sign of rust, nor has my Gen 2, G23s.

I understand the EPA guidelines, but the new process isn't nearly as resistant to rust as the old one was.
LT642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:06   #49
onalandline
Me Got Gun!

I have Glocks with both finishes. I only use Balistol to clean and lubricate, including wiping down the slide with the stuff. Never use water, as some forum member said he uses. Water is part of the rust equation.
Old 10-15-2012, 15:04   #50
DirtyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
Info from two Glock official sources (one being Emma) is that Glock dropped Tenifer on ALL slides in 2010.
Austrian or US, no more Tenifer.
Denis
Even the same person(emma)can't get their story straight.Read my post above where emma emailed me that it was mid 2011 that they switched.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 15:19   #51
Audiman77

I have all the generations except for the first. My gen 4 27 didn't have any rust issues at all. But I sent it to failzero anyway bc I was bored. I can say that the nickel boron finish is freakin awesome durability wise
Audiman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:01   #52
remington79

It's sad to see. Tennifer isn't even listed on the webpage or in the 2012 paper catalog. http://us.glock.com/technology Between this and (and the new problems of rusting) and the other issues of ejection I think I'm going to look for a G19 made in 2008.

My wife's G19 has a test fire date of 2/09 and my G30SF has a date of 1/09. Both have worked great. Unlike what was mentioned earlier I've never had to wipe down the slides with oil. I just wipe the dust off and solvent for the powder residue.
remington79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:57   #53
diamondd2

I really like the new matte gray finish. At first I didn't, but it quickly grew on me and now I wish all my G's had the gray finish.

Last edited by diamondd2; 11-27-2012 at 12:57..
diamondd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 17:25   #54
CrackerKen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiman77 View Post
I have all the generations except for the first. My gen 4 27 didn't have any rust issues at all. But I sent it to failzero anyway bc I was bored. I can say that the nickel boron finish is freakin awesome durability wise
Is that finish very expensive? They certainly look nice. I'd like to find an excellent semi-gloss black finish. I'm thinking about Duracoat.
FL Glockers #442
CrackerKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 18:15   #55
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

"The new finish is just as good as Tenifer."

General Glocking

I've noticed that my early Gen 3's held up a heck of a lot better than my Gen 4.
Old 11-27-2012, 18:58   #56
INEEDMILK

subbed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
INEEDMILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 19:21   #57
dvrdwn72

I think the new gen 4's suck compared to the earlier years. I have an early edition of a 27 and 23, the finish has held up great. I have a gen 4 35 thats a little bit over a year old that has the finish worn and 2 small rust spots. I also have a new 35 I got 2 months ago and after less than 12 draws from a kydex holster has the finish wearing off at the front. I never had a problem with the older glocks. I am dissapointed in the new finish. I will only get older glocks, no more new ones for me.
dvrdwn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 21:05   #58
rawheadjim

Send a message via Yahoo to rawheadjim
Sounds similar to the difference in German Sig's with Ilafon finish compared to the US Sig's with Nitrite. I've tried to avoid US made Sig's for many reasons including the finish, all of mine are German except one. This makes me sorry I sold my old Gen 2 Glock 22 a few years ago, but it was just too large for my hands. I ordered a Gen 4 since the new backstraps do help, I will have to keep it well oiled it seems.
rawheadjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 21:31   #59
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
OK.

A short Glock history lesson.

Glock used to make all kinds of products.

When Austria wanted a new army handgun, Gaston Glock decided to get into the gun business. Apparently there wasn't that much money in shower curtain rings and tampon applicators.

The first model pistol was called the model 1. It didn't work.
Models 2-16 had problems but model 17 was perfection.

Then came the other models.

Don't even ask me how I know this, but Gaston's Mom vacations in Wythe County a couple times a year and I take her catfishing on Claytor Lake.
You failed to mention an important detail. The Glock SEVEN model was fabulously successful, but fell into the wrong hands and was therefore banned by the US government after that notorious "airport incident". Gaston was so despondent over this imperious government action that it took him another ten design variants to come up with a commercially viable product. That despondency would also eventually destroy his first marriage.
Old 11-27-2012, 21:51   #60
CrackerKen

I have a Gen 3 G23. I keep the slide wiped down with CLP, and I lightly dry off the excess. When I take it out of the holster, it has dry, white lookng streaks on the slide. The only way I've found to get rid of the white or gray streaks or spots, is to put CLP (or Remoil) on it again. No rust so far. If I don't find something better and more affordable, I'm going to have my G23 done in Duracoat, black semi-gloss.
FL Glockers #442
CrackerKen is offline   Reply With Quote