Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 20:18   #1
themighty9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Independence, MO
Posts: 3,086
grip plug

I just traded a guy and got a glock 19. He did some "upgrades" and I'm trying to bring it back to stock. He installed a grip plug I think he said it was made by lone wolf. For the life of me I can not get the thing off. Any special way to do so? I assume its just a friction fit device, do I need to disassemble the frame and punch it out?
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 20:28   #2
GlocksterJeff
Glock Armorer
 
GlocksterJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 'Sunny' Oregon
Posts: 2,360
Most of the G19 grip plugs use a small plastic button that snaps into the lanyard hole at the back of the grip. If you poke something into the hole you will be able to slightly push the retaining button back in, allowing you to pull the plug out of the grip.

Last edited by GlocksterJeff; 04-28-2013 at 20:29.. Reason: spelling
GlocksterJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 20:38   #3
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocksterJeff View Post
Most of the G19 grip plugs use a small plastic button that snaps into the lanyard hole at the back of the grip. If you poke something into the hole you will be able to slightly push the retaining button back in, allowing you to pull the plug out of the grip.
As Jeff describes is how I have always removed them. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 21:06   #4
TxGlock9
Senior Member
 
TxGlock9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BMT, TX
Posts: 4,852
Just use a punch. You can just use a pen really.. Just don't mar the surface of the grip...
__________________
My name is John
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 22:34   #5
themighty9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Independence, MO
Posts: 3,086
Thanks, I'll try it in the morning. Makes sense.
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 16:21   #6
357Glock31
Member
 
357Glock31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SW of Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 46
Most people who buy & install them B cuz it's nothing but a gap between the magazine hold & backstrap. It fills in the gap & allows nothing to get inside that area !
357Glock31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 16:45   #7
themighty9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Independence, MO
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357Glock31 View Post
Most people who buy & install them B cuz it's nothing but a gap between the magazine hold & backstrap. It fills in the gap & allows nothing to get inside that area !
Yes, I know why it is there. But I wish for it to not be there. I also removed the lone wolf stainless guid rod the guy put in it. And replaced it with the factory one. Like I said, I prefer it stock. Along with not letting things in from the bottom. the gap filler things, also doesn't let things out. Water or dust for example. Does that water or dust make a difference in that area? Maybe, I have no idea. But either way I want it to be able to free itself. Big reason though, I just prefer most of my handguns stock. The only exception is sights. Or where valid grip panels. Even that's a big maybe

Last edited by themighty9mm; 04-29-2013 at 16:51..
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 16:57   #8
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 24,191
I seem to have read or heard somewhere that one reason to keep that channel open is to be able to reach in there a ways to help remove a recalcitrant magazine and another reason to help stuff drain out if necessary.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 17:00   #9
themighty9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Independence, MO
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I seem to have read or heard somewhere that one reason to keep that channel open is to be able to reach in there a ways to help remove a recalcitrant magazine and another reason to help stuff drain out if necessary.
The draining part makes sense to me. IIRC and its been a while since I owned a glock let alone a 100% take down. But I believe that gap leads up to some springs and such as part of the trigger group
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:43   #10
WayneJessie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by themighty9mm View Post
Yes, I know why it is there. But I wish for it to not be there. I also removed the lone wolf stainless guid rod the guy put in it. And replaced it with the factory one. Like I said, I prefer it stock. Along with not letting things in from the bottom. the gap filler things, also doesn't let things out. Water or dust for example. Does that water or dust make a difference in that area? Maybe, I have no idea. But either way I want it to be able to free itself. Big reason though, I just prefer most of my handguns stock. The only exception is sights. Or where valid grip panels. Even that's a big maybe
I'd definitely trash a SS guiderod for Glock's cheap plastic one...
__________________
I'd own a Glock; were it not for Glock owners.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 16:29   #11
The Pirate
HARRRRR!!!
 
The Pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Walltown, KY
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
I'd definitely trash a SS guiderod for Glock's cheap plastic one...
It's probably in my head, but I swear I can shoot my 20 better with the stock guide rod. I haven't used mine in a while...


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Shoot 10mm!
The Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 16:52   #12
jkloeker
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I seem to have read or heard somewhere that one reason to keep that channel open is to be able to reach in there a ways to help remove a recalcitrant magazine and another reason to help stuff drain out if necessary.
I believe it also allows the frame to flex slightly when firing.
jkloeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 17:08   #13
themighty9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Independence, MO
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
I'd definitely trash a SS guiderod for Glock's cheap plastic one...
Thing is, its a guide rod. A rod that guides a spring. Exactly how much force is being applied to the rod during recoil that would justify the need for a block of stainless steel? I'll guess about none. Because its just a guide. The stainless one adds weight, much weight? No, not really. It also doesn't do a single thing the plastic one didn't in the first place. So why add extra cost? Why make a very simple thing more complex (thinking the screw on the end that apparently hold a cap in place)? Why add extra weight? And the biggest reason of them all. I find a stainless guide rod to be gimmicky. Because again... It only guides a spring. No doubt, someone, somewhere has broken one. But I have owned quite a few glocks now. And not once have broken one. I find it to be a gimmick, just like I those plugs that this thread was started on.

Now the cost argument for me is null and void, as I didn't spend the money on it. But, now I could sell it, or hang onto it as a backup recoil spring, or give it to a buddy that finds it to be a pretty trinket.

Last edited by themighty9mm; 04-30-2013 at 17:18..
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:47   #14
Ski2me
Glock Envy
 
Ski2me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SE Idaho
Posts: 88
Wish I had the same problem as the original post. I've lost two plugs from my 20sf. I've never had a problem with my g22 or g20c
__________________
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemingway
Ski2me is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,045
259 Members
786 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31