SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:41   #1
MeanAction
MeanAction

Aimpoint CompM mount height

Is this mount going to work for my WASR 10/63 UF? I haven't picked this site up yet but I was afraid it was going to be to high? I guess I'll know tomorrow. I don't want to cowitness.

Last edited by MeanAction; 10-23-2012 at 10:44..
MeanAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:01   #2
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

You can put a rail on a SuperSoaker and that Aimpoint will "work".

Where are you planning on mounting it?
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:12   #3
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
That is awesome.

I'm imagining a whole new "tacti-cool" picture thread starting up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:18   #4
scccdoc

Does this mount require "Lock-Tite"?
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:44   #5
scccdoc

Quote:

Where are you planning on mounting it?
A Colt 6920
Old 10-23-2012, 09:11   #6
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scccdoc View Post
Does this mount require "Lock-Tite"?
No.

It'll work great on your 6920; I have it on a couple of mine.
The Kalashnikov Klub
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17   #7
scccdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
No.

It'll work great on your 6920; I have it on a couple of mine.
The Kalashnikov Klub
Thanks, I'm doing a lot of research before I buy. The Trijicon Reflex 30 - 23 has "locking levers" for placement / removal and I've heard that it maintains zero very well. Is the "Aimpoint" easily put on your rifles, ie, without a gun smith?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:54   #8
MeanAction
MeanAction

Well, I just got home from picking up my Aimpoint. I thought the mount was going to be to high but it seems to work. Mine is the picture on the right. Keep in mind mine is an underfolder. Should I go to a lower mount? I like the looks of the lower mount but what would be the advantages? Thanks for all the comments.

Last edited by MeanAction; 11-23-2012 at 04:34..
Old 10-23-2012, 11:02   #9
Hamrhed
AKs & Glocks

Quote:
You can put a rail on a SuperSoaker and that Aimpoint will "work"
Sayyyyy, theres an idea
Hamrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 21:35   #10
mjkeat

Best AK optic mounts available.

http://rsregulate.com/products.php

I recommend blue loc tite on all fasteners.

Last edited by mjkeat; 10-23-2012 at 21:36..
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 22:00   #11
MeanAction
MeanAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Best AK optic mounts available.

http://rsregulate.com/products.php

I recommend blue loc tite on all fasteners.
Link is in-op. I couldn't find their website either.
Old 10-23-2012, 23:57   #12
mjkeat

Still working for me.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:55   #13
MeanAction
MeanAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Still working for me.
I can't seem to get the link to work. I appreciate the link and I will try it on another computer but I'm really curious about a lower mount. The one I have currently seems to work but there is no cheek welding going on which I kinda like. My head is not being jared around on the underfolder arm. My previous red dot was the same way with no cheek weld. I realize that a good cheek weld lends itself to better accuracy though. If we were talking walmart stuff here I would just get a lower mount and try it but these mounts we are talking about are $70 or better. I think with the current mount it makes the weight axis higher giving the rifle a more top heavy feel too. I like the way the lower mount looks so I'm just trying to get some additional info from the forum to help me justify testing an expensive lower mount.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:12   #14
ak103k

Aimpoint has a "low" ring for the CompM series sights that works well. Its cheap too, compared to the others. I only paid $25 for each of mine, but I think they go for around $40 now. They use a Weaver type screw, that can be removed fairly quickly, even when LocTite is used, with just a coin.

I have ML2's mounted on Ultimak rails on two AKs using them. I tried my AR lever mounts, but found them to be a tad to high for comfortable/natural shooting. Not sure which mount that is you show youre using there, but with the Ultimaks, you do get a cowitness with the low ring.

With the cowitness, your rifle shoulders and shoots very much like it does with the irons alone, and its very natural to shoot with. You get the same basic cheek weld you do with the irons.

This is my one AK using a Larue AR lever mount.....

The Kalashnikov Klub

Same gun with the Aimpoint low ring.....

The Kalashnikov Klub

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28   #15
mjkeat

You can't get much lower than the RS.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:20   #16
ak103k

That is about the lowest sitting side mount Ive seen yet.

Problem is in this case (underfolder), its only usable if you leave the stock deployed.

The forward mounted sights dont suffer from that issue.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 10-24-2012, 13:47   #17
mjkeat

I think the balance and height well outweighs the inability to fold the stock. The mount is "return to zero" so if you had to fold the stock for transport/storage you'd be GTG.
Old 10-24-2012, 14:54   #18
ak103k

Ive had and used both type set ups, and have always preferred the low, forward mounted red dots all along, and never had any issue with balance, even with the larger Aimpoints. They handle pretty much like a gun without one mounted. They shoulder and shoot just like an iron sighted gun.

Shooting them compared to the higher, rear mounted sights is a major difference. The later do not shoulder and shoot naturally at all, giving the one above the benefit of doubt as I havent shot one. All the others Ive used and shot were not though. Not having that sight and mount right in your face is also a big difference. You get a much more open field of view with the forward mounted sight.

Im not doubting the zero repeatability, assuming youve confirmed that it will. I have a number of sights set up that do just that, and with no issues. AK's tend to be a different animal when it comes to the actual mounts (both the rail and the mount) compared to other mounting systems. Being able to take it off and replace it is great, but not having to take it off at all, is even better, especially if youre using the side or under folders instead of leaving them deployed, and/or cleaning your gun regularly after each use.

Hey, the only way to know what works best for you and fills your needs, is to try some of both, and see how it goes. We all have different needs and one or the other may suit them better.

Zeitgeist - Addendum

Last edited by ak103k; 10-24-2012 at 14:56..
Old 10-24-2012, 16:49   #19
mjkeat

The mount is proven and has been used and reported on by some very trusted guys in the shooting world.

To say balance is not effective raises an eyebrow. 7.8oz, almost half a pound, sitting at the end of your barrel will be noticeable and detract from maneuverability.

The RS is a cco-witnessmount, therefore extremely low.
Old 10-24-2012, 17:12   #20
ak103k

Im not doubting what you say about the mount, it looks interesting, and lot better than most others Ive seen. I just dont see it being the right choice for something with a folder(under or left side), as it would interfere with the workings of the gun.

As far as forward mounted sights and balance, Ive been shooting AK's with an Aimpoint M2/ML2 mounted forward on an Ultimak since they both basically first showed up, around 10-12 years now. I have never in any way felt the gun was unbalanced or muzzle heavy, and have always found the combination to out perform any of the side mounts or mount/sight combos, Russian or otherwise, especially when used "realistically". I also have a couple of AK's without the Aimpoints on them, and I shoot them on a regular basis as well, and never had or noticed a problem going back and forth between them. The guns without the dots are a tad lighter, but they both shoulder and shoot the same. The red dot sighted guns are just quicker and easier.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 10-24-2012, 17:50   #21
mjkeat

Since when is half a pound "a tad lighter?" Not only half a pound lighter but half a pound on the end of a barrel. Not wanting to argue as you seem like a well mannered individual.

I guess I should ask what is the advantage to not having your stock locked into place? Storage? Transportation? Those 2 things take a back seat to function.

I'm not saying the Ultimak doesn't work as I have thought about going that route myself. And I'm glad it works for you. You seem to have put a lot of thought into it. I just believe there is a better way.
Old 10-24-2012, 18:30   #22
ak103k

Im not wanting to argue the point either, its just you hear this a lot, and Ive usually found that the complaint is by those who dont or havent use the set up. But like I said earlier, you really need to try all of them and see what works best for you. Until you do, you'll never know if one is better for you or not, if you havent tried reasonable set ups of both types.

I suppose a lot of this is what you consider heavy too. I dont find an M1, M14, G3, or SLR to be "heavy" either, so 8oz. really isnt a big deal. Ive actually been thinking of trying one of my Aimpoints on the old M1 with one of the Ultimak type mounts available for them. Seems like the perfect set up for one.

With the AK's, even without a loaded mag, with an Aimpoint M2 mounted forward, the balance of the rifle is still towards the rear of the gun (ie, gun rocks to the rear when held at the receiver just forward of the mag) with a standard wood or synthetic stocked rifle, and pretty much holds level with a side folder held at the same point. Its not at all "muzzle heavy".

Ive shot enough of the older side mounted sights to know for me, they are not at all natural to shoot with, especially the ones that are big and sit high above the bore. The one you show looks to be a big improvement as far as getting the sight down to where it belongs. With a smaller dot sight, its probably not to bad. Personally, I just dont like the sights back in my face where they block your view and get in the way when handling the gun. But thats just me.

The "better way" of which you speak, is one of the newer, much smaller Aimpoints, up front there on your Ultimak.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 10-24-2012, 19:23   #23
mjkeat

Physics is physics.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:14   #24
ak103k

Quote:
Physics is physics.
It seems there are a few of us who never got that memo.

Hey, if you dont like the set up, dont run it. At least we have a choice, and can go with what we find works best.

The Aimpoint/Ultimak set up really shines (both shooting and handling wise) when used realistically, and away from a bench. If you havent actually tried it, I highly suggest you give it a try. You may have to reevaluate your assumptions.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 10-25-2012, 08:45   #25
ak103k

Hey MeanAction,

While looking around for one of those mounts mjkeat listed, I came across this.....

http://www.solartactical.com/AIM-POI...W-RING-193.htm

Aimpoint low ring for $30. That will get the sight down about as low as youre going to get it.

Zeitgeist - Addendum