Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-17-2012, 20:26   #1
kettlebellman

Waiting on Romanian SAR-1 delivery

From what I read, it's the gun a WASR was and should be! $565... Cheaper than WASRs here!
kettlebellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 20:50   #2
coondawg477

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlebellman View Post
From what I read, it's the gun a WASR was and should be! $565... Cheaper than WASRs here!
I had a SAR-2 many moons ago, it was a great rifle, fit and finish were excellent and it shot great. One I regret selling.
coondawg477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 19:24   #3
dglockster

I own two Romanian SAR-1 rifles. They are great guns.

The Kalashnikov Klub

and

The Kalashnikov Klub

To learn more about Romanian AK rifles, go to
http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/index.shtml

Lone Star Glockers #3236, Top Guns 357Sig Club #3226, Niner #2632, .40 S&W Club #2332, Kalashnikov Klub 11147, Wheelhouse #2357
dglockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 20:12   #4
kettlebellman

Thanks guys
kettlebellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 14:44   #5
ak103k

The SAR's, not the WASR's, were the ones that were the base for most of the canted sights and trigger slap complaints. Ive seen some that had some really bad canted front sights, and shot a couple that had terrible trigger slap.

Mine had a little of both, although I only ever corrected the slap, with a RSA replacement trigger. The sights while canted, really arent canted that bad, and it dont seem to affect accuracy.

If you do find yours has trigger slap, Red Star Arms makes a great replacement trigger. Its fully adjustable, and equal to and actually surpasses a "real" AK trigger. Unlike most AR's, AK's triggers are usually pretty nice, and even the ones with slap. They are painful to shoot with, but still way better than the average AR trigger.

I did try a Tapco G2 trigger on my WASR after hearing all the great reports. I must have got a bad one, as it was crunchy as all get out, and was actually unsafe. If you started to pull it back but didnt let it go, it would hang in that spot like a set trigger, and go off at the slightest touch the next time you put your finger near it.

Fit and finish on most SAR's Ive seen wasnt all that good, and my WASR, which is an early one, and looks like a SAR, was much better in pretty much all respects, including sights and trigger. The only real difference in overall appearance, is the WASR's lack of "dimples", and obvious "cut out" mag well. Most of the makers info on my SAR was "carved" (literally) into the metal with what looks like some sort of engraving pen in the hands of Katherine Hepburn. You can barely read what it says.

Accuracy and function wise, they both shoot great. Both have been accurate and reliable from day one, something I havent been able to say about some of the fancier, US made/assembled AK's Ive owned.

This is what my SAR looks like these days.....

The Kalashnikov Klub

And this is how it shoots at 200 yards (from a cross legged sitting position) using the "canted" irons, with ammo it likes........

The Kalashnikov Klub

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 15:40   #6
countrygun

I got my SAR -1 unfired from a guy who bought it as an "investment" at less than $200 and decided to sell when the value doubled, during the first "Obama Panic" so I got it for less than $400. sights fine and no trigger slap. It is my "Iconic stock" AK with no mods, although it doesn't have a muzzle brake, which I may remedy for the heck of it.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:20   #7
Z71

The trigger-slap deal will need fixed if it has the crappy/slappy componants in it. My WASR-10 came from the box with the Tapco G2 system installed and it's a really decent feeling trigger.

Oh!...and don't think that just because the SAR-1 has dimples made-in the receiver that magazines will fit tight! I've seen these be about as mag-floppy as a WASR-10.
Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 18:44   #8
ak103k

Mag wobble in AK's is just a fact of life. Its not just a WASR issue. Every AK Ive owned and still do own, regardless of make or cost, have had it.

Different guns deal with the same mag differently too. It may wobble in one, and be tight in another. Function has never seemed to be an issue though, although the wobble can be annoying if you let it.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote