Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:13   #21
Roadkill_751
5 or 6 rounds?

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
I am soooo glad my 2007 had the 3.73 and no stabilibrake or v4-v8....

Now I have a 2012 caprice 6.0
I didn't know you had a spare car issued to you too!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52   #22
Mattz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetailNinja View Post
Tahoes are RWD only (or the ones that are in operation in our county are) and will be hell on dirt roads. The cops who drive them hate them for everything but the interior space and seats.
Weird... everyone here wants to drive the Tahoe's...
Mattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 14:40   #23
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Have fun in the winter in that PPV if you live where it snows...
With the firestones and the locking diff I had no problems when we had a foot of snow 2 years ago.....with one wheel turning it would not have worked...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-06-2012, 15:25   #24
blk69stang

Something else to be aware of: If you are going up an off-road grade under power, the vehicle can sometimes sense the tilt angle plus wheelspin and incorrectly interpret the data as an imminent rollover. It then will deploy the side curtain airbags, an event which can range from "attention getting" to "injury inducing".

Most likely place this will happen is an offroad hill you are going up, that is "rutted up" from previous wheelspin, where it undulates side-to-side. Kinda where it goes from front driver's and rear passenger's tire with no traction, then alternating to front passenger's and rear driver's tire with no traction. This is where you get the alternating side-to-side wheelspin that makes the onboard computer have a brain fart.

Personal observation.
blk69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 15:48   #25
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk69stang View Post
Something else to be aware of: If you are going up an off-road grade under power, the vehicle can sometimes sense the tilt angle plus wheelspin and incorrectly interpret the data as an imminent rollover. It then will deploy the side curtain airbags, an event which can range from "attention getting" to "injury inducing".

Most likely place this will happen is an offroad hill you are going up, that is "rutted up" from previous wheelspin, where it undulates side-to-side. Kinda where it goes from front driver's and rear passenger's tire with no traction, then alternating to front passenger's and rear driver's tire with no traction. This is where you get the alternating side-to-side wheelspin that makes the onboard computer have a brain fart.

Personal observation.
So how many stitches did that one cause, lol?

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 22:23   #26
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Beautiful truck man. I just got a black 2013 myself and am also trying to get used to it. So far, I'm loving it! Can you find out which brackets they used on your two hood/fender mount antennas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
I do wish they had fog lights. The earlier models had brake cooling ducts instead of fog lights. This year gets neither.
If interested, GM part 19157652 is the Tahoe fog light retrofit kit. It's about $180.
Cop Talk
There are also several round Whelen LEDs that will drop right in. For patrol use, I'd go with the ones that are red or blue and also have a white driving light mode.

Quote:
The rear seats have fixed headrests. I can see this being good so arrestees can't remove them, but we transport in the front and don't use cages. The passenger side rear headrest completely blocks out the rearmost passenger side window, where your blind spot becomes a blind mile. The two rear headrests combines cover nearly half of the rear window making backing more difficult than it should be. At a minimum, tilting rear headrests should have been used. Removeable would have been best. I am going to rip mine out, just haven't figured out a good way to do this without permanent damage.
This drives me crazy too. Let me know if you figure out how to remove them without causing damage.

Quote:
The window tint is nice, but makes backing at night a blind activity. The reverse lights do not adequately illuminate the way behind you.
I've heard great things about these aftermarket drop-in reverse lamp bulbs. http://retro-solutions.net/product-i...bs-pid703.html

Quote:
The alternator is weak. If ABS kicks in while driving, the lights dim. If I talk on the radio while the lightbar is on, the lights dim.
Interesting. The PPV has a larger alternator. Does yours have the dual batteries? Most do.

Quote:
The gas mileage is terrible. On the Interstate on the way to an out of town funeral, with all cruise control and low RPM driving, I only got 14.7 MPG.

The best MPG's I ever got was a little over 15. I filled up, drove 20 miles as easily as I could and refilled; completely impractical.

I average around 11-13 as long as I keep WOT down to less than two miles or five stop signs. Any lights and sirens runs means I get less than 10 MPG. I had to do an accross county run (about 40 miles) and got around 7 MPG.
I agree. Just pathetic gas mileage.

Quote:
The stock Good-year RSA's are total crap and should be discarded immediately. They failed at the LASD testing and at MSP's Tire test when put on the Tahoe. We replaced them on the CVPI's a long time ago and haven't looked back. Fewer flat tires, better performance, and longer tread life. We put Firestone Firehawk Pursuits on the Tahoes. They don't look much different, but they are a much better tire (and cheaper).
I thought the Firestones were more. Like around $420 each. Much better tire though, I agree.

Quote:
Some of these problems would be fixable if we got the full DIC (Driver Info Cener). The PPV gets a very limited one versus the retail version.
You can upgrade the PPV to have the DIC very easily. All the necessary wires are back there. Just gotta know the right part numbers for the switch and the trim piece. I have them on order...will let you know.

Last edited by AggiePhil; 11-08-2012 at 22:25..
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15   #27
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

The Firestones on Govt. contract are $10 less than the RSA's.

No dual batteries, for me. It wasn't an option in 2012; only 2013.

Let me know on getting the full DIC; especially, with the lack of controls on the right side of the steering wheel.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:50   #28
ryanm

I just installed some of the warning/driving LEDs last week. I've got the warning part working OK, haven't gotten to hook up the driving light wire yet. I would highly recommend them for warning.

I would love the part numbers for the DIC upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiePhil View Post

If interested, GM part 19157652 is the Tahoe fog light retrofit kit. It's about $180.
Cop Talk
There are also several round Whelen LEDs that will drop right in. For patrol use, I'd go with the ones that are red or blue and also have a white driving light mode.

You can upgrade the PPV to have the DIC very easily. All the necessary wires are back there. Just gotta know the right part numbers for the switch and the trim piece. I have them on order...will let you know.

Dual battery was a 2012 police option. I specifically ordered it on mine. Chevy electrical systems have been historically very weak, so I wasn't going with a single battery.

You can replace the wheel with one that has audio controls.

Quote:
No dual batteries, for me. It wasn't an option in 2012; only 2013.
ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:50   #29
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, our PD Tahoes are 2011s or 2012s and they all have dual batteries. My 2013 PPV is a POV, for the record.

I'll advise the DIC part numbers once I receive them and confirm fit/finish/function. Sometimes it's like a crapshoot trying to order these parts by the numbers alone.

How difficult is that steering wheel audio control mod? I figured you what have to replace the wheel and the clock spring.
Old 11-09-2012, 16:34   #30
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

I was under impression that the knock-outs for the fog lights have brake ducting behind them to help cool the brakes in the PPV. Is this no longer the case?

AggiePhil...if I can ask, what did a '13 PPV cost you as a non-government buyer, and who did you find to sell one to you?

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 16:58   #31
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I was under impression that the knock-outs for the fog lights have brake ducting behind them to help cool the brakes in the PPV. Is this no longer the case?

AggiePhil...if I can ask, what did a '13 PPV cost you as a non-government buyer, and who did you find to sell one to you?
. My 2007 did but not the 2010s my 2007 also had dual batteries and no stability control...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-09-2012, 17:30   #32
MoparMan1991

Quote:
Tahoes are RWD only (or the ones that are in operation in our county are) and will be hell on dirt roads. The cops who drive them hate them for everything but the interior space and seats.
Wrong. Only the pursuit rated Tahoes are RWD. Non-pursuit models with 4x4 do exist. We have many of them here in Nebraska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
It could always be worse. It could be one of those soccer-mom For epxeditions where you have to constantly tighten the lug nuts so the wheels don't fly off, or a Dodge truck that the transmission messes up and you have be have it set on "R" to do forward.
You must be talking about older Dodge trucks. The new 545RFE was designed by Mercedes Benz and is hands down one of the best and strongest fully electronic transmissions Dodge has ever used.
MoparMan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 17:57   #33
ray9898

Quote:
The seating position is very good. Both front seats are comfortable and have ample room. We have a couple of near-300 pounders and even they fit nicely.
They didn't bother with that on the Caprice, it has to be 4" narrower than my CV. The seat has plenty of leg room even with the cage but it is just too narrow. I am pretty close to one side of the belt touching the door while the other is touching the console. I am not tiny but I know I am not that large!

Our fleet guys ordered us a bunch of seat belt extenders because they got so many complaints about it being annoyingly cramped which made buckling the belt a chore because the latch is wedged behind the holster which is against the console.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:45   #34
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Figured out how to remove the second seat headrests today. There are small pin holes on the right (passenger) side of each plastic hole surround. They're just hard to get to, particularly the one that faces in.

Cop Talk

I did the whole process from behind the second seat. Using a small punch, depress the hole that faces the center of the headrest. It will be somewhat hard to get to, as you have to work it in under the headrest. Once you get the punch into the hole, press inward to activate the release while simultaneously pulling up on that side of the headrest. Then, while still pulling up slightly on the headrest, move your punch to the other side and activate its release. The headrest should then lift out easily.

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Before and after. MUCH better view...

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Quote:
Don't think so. I mean...the fog light caps are solid plastic so there's no air going through unless you remove them. I may eventually install the fog lights but honestly, the standard headlights seem plenty bright enough to me at this point.

Quote:
About $30k. PM me for further.

Last edited by AggiePhil; 11-09-2012 at 19:50..
Old 11-09-2012, 23:20   #35
SgtScott31

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
Great review, not to hijack this thread but does anyone have a good review for the Caprice?
I have a buddy in a neighboring department that says the fuel economy on them are absolutely horrible.

We just got two Explorers for our K9s with the AWD Eco-boost (twin-turbo). I've been told they will haul arse.

It appears from the CA police testing the AWD Taurus Twin-Turbo package was beating out the Dodge Hemi on speeds.
SgtScott31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:40   #36
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtScott31 View Post
We just got two Explorers for our K9s with the AWD Eco-boost (twin-turbo). I've been told they will haul arse.
They got the retail versions for K9 guys? Seems like it may not be the best idea, twin-turbo, or not.

Last edited by nikerret; 11-10-2012 at 08:41..
Old 11-10-2012, 09:36   #37
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMan1991 View Post
Wrong. Only the pursuit rated Tahoes are RWD. Non-pursuit models with 4x4 do exist. We have many of them here in Nebraska.

You must be talking about older Dodge trucks. The new 545RFE was designed by Mercedes Benz and is hands down one of the best and strongest fully electronic transmissions Dodge has ever used.
About time. We had a guy get ran over by his own vehicle when it slipped from Park to Reverse. He parked the Dodge, then walked behind it to open a gate, and it ran over him.

After my experience with such quality made domestic vehicles, I only drive Toyotas as a POV.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:44   #38
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nikerret, did you see my post about the headrests?

I agree with you about the poor aerodynamics throwing road scum up onto the back glass. Think mud flaps would help?
Old 11-10-2012, 15:28   #39
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiePhil View Post
Nikerret, did you see my post about the headrests?

I agree with you about the poor aerodynamics throwing road scum up onto the back glass. Think mud flaps would help?
Yeah, I'm going to remove those tonight (might as well get paid to do it). Thanks!!!!!

Mine has pastic flaps built on, it isn't the issue of direct kickback. The issue is the way the air drags behind the back of the passenger compartment. The more aerodynamically sound vehicles have a poinier rear end. A large, flat back end is the worst design as everything goes around the front and sides and gets vaccuumed back to the vehicle. Thus, the air is always fighting the vehicle and power has to overcome the natural vacuum the flat back end creates. The small spoiler on the top is supposed to help, but you can only do so much without a major redesign.

Look at the back of the Ford Interceptor SUV's, it has the spoiler on the top and is curved. This helps the air going over the vehcile roll off the back instead of creating as much vacuum.

Visual Charts:

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Ours is pretty close to a flat rectangle:
Cop Talk

Look at semi tractor trailer combinations. Many now have aerodynamic flaps under the sides of the trailer and some are putting angled flaps over the back doors; greatly reduced rear drag.
Here's a pic of the flaps over the back doors, but no side skirts:
Cop Talk

Last edited by nikerret; 11-10-2012 at 15:42..
Old 11-10-2012, 15:46   #40
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

We looked at taking out the fog light inserts and putting in the brake ducting/coolers, but there is may too much stuff in the way that would have to be moved, or the brake ducts would have to be reworked. Yet another thing Chvrolet used to have right, but decided to screw up.

I could have done a lot of good in the "new" PPV design and improvement meetings with some Red Bull and a hickory nightstick.