Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:36   #1
PettyOfficer

Virginia CHL laws and non-resident licenses

Just sharing this with my Texas peeps, but others may be interested.

Virginia is apparently a great place. They allow 1 hour online CHL courses, no proficiency exam, to non-residents. After that, it's just sending in the form with the rest of the required documentation and fee and 45 days later, voila!

Texas and Virginia have reciprocation agreement, and this legally authorizes Texas residents to bypass the 10 hour mandated course with proficiency exam.

Other states may also have this agreement, so YMMV.

Personally, I am pro-proficiency, it doesn't expect serious training, but does expect you to know which end the bullet comes out of.

As well, those courses do not teach Texas laws, Ch 9, Ch 46, and that lack of knowledge can get a person in deep trouble.

However, those 10 hours are long and boring and since its legal, regardless of my opinion, I felt it should be shared.

http://www.khou.com/home/Virginia-lo...172767171.html
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:34   #2
xidica

The Texas CHL laws are lengthy and important. Skipping the class which focuses specifically on the laws and nuances or little gotcha clauses is shortchanging yourself. Just my opinion.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14   #3
PettyOfficer

I don't disagree, however, to each their own: this is a legal option and those individuals who choose to go this route put their own freedom at risk.

I must say I don't remember all the specifics from my course that I've taken within the last year, but I do keep a copy of the Texas Handgun Laws pamphlet on my phone and occasionally go through it.

So who's to say those folks won't self educate?

However it brings up an interesting thought for debate: it is said that CHL holders are more likely to be more vigilant with following the law. If a legal option allowed those who are lazier and less diligent to earn their CHL, could their general life attitude about taking the shortcuts cause a degradation in that belief that CHL holders are more law-abiding?

If that loss of faith were to come true, the anti-gun proponents would have another point for their argument.
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50   #4
steveksux
Massive Member

As more people carry, the difference between the law abidingness of carriers vs gen public will fade. Now its mostly a small group of motivated individuals who carry. The average person is not so bright, amd 50% are even dumber than average by definition. Expanding into that demographic doesn't come without risk. Look at how people drive if you don't believe me.

That said, stupid people have just as much right to defend themselves.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by steveksux; 10-09-2012 at 08:55..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote