Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2012, 19:02   #1
ditto1958

Colt LE6920 vs Windham Weaponry MPC

I want an M4 carbine. The Colt LE6920 with the carry handle is exactly what I'm looking for. They seem to run about $1100 to 1200 in stores around here. The Windham Weaponry MPC seems to be pretty much the same rifle. It usually lists for a couple hundred cheaper. Anyone have any opinions on this? Will I be happy if I take the cheaper route?
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:13   #2
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Windham, IIRC, is essentially what was Bushmaster, before they were bought out.

As such, unless they've drastically changed the way they do buisness, which I really doubt, they're essentially the same as BM used to be.

I would save a few more pennies, and get the Colt. BM's can be good guns, but they skip a few steps here and there to keep costs down, and I don't mind the slight extra fee. If you're curious google the AR-15 chart, and note the differences between the BM and the Colt. If you don't mind the differences, save some money and buy the BM. Its not at all a bad gun, but it isn't a Colt.

Also, take a good look at the S&W M&P 15, they may be slightly cheaper, but similar to the Colt.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:23   #3
WinterWizard

WW is not BM. Yes, they are the old BM employees, but their manufacturing and quality are improved. It's a mistake to say that WW is "the old BM."

I am not arguing Colt vs WW, but please don't make assumptions without doing some research.

For instance, the AR-15 chart specifies that BM does NOT have an MPI or pressure tested bolt (batch tested), a shot peened bolt or a property staked gas key. It also specifies M2 feedramps.

The new WW ARs DO have a MPI and pressure tested bolt, a shot peened bolt and a beautifully staked gas key. I know, I have one. They also have M4 feedramps.

Also, BM has a one year warranty, whereas WW has a lifetime fully transferable warranty.

And these are just a few of the differences I noticed. I am sure there are more.

OP, WW is it's own entity with a great reputation so far. Don't listen when people simply say, "Windham Weaponry is the old BM before they were bought out." Simply not true.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 10-13-2012 at 19:48..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:31   #4
Cole125
Silver Membership

While I have heard nothing but good about WW, the choice is a no brainer, get the Colt.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:57   #5
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Do a search. This exact thread came up only a few weeks ago. Long story short, a Windham weaponry will never be a Colt, no matter how much they want it to be.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:11   #6
jokeruh

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto...880/c/firearms
"At root, belief preservation is the tendency to make evidence subservient to belief, rather than the other way around. Put another way, it is the tendency to use evidence to preserve our opinions rather than guide them." -Tim van Gelder
jokeruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 22:27   #7
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post
Do a search. This exact thread came up only a few weeks ago. Long story short, a Windham weaponry will never be a Colt, no matter how much they want it to be.
Agreed on all counts.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:36   #8
M&P15T
Beard One

Don't get freaked out by the Colt Fan boys. Look at the specs. Learn what the material and manufacturing specifications mean, and you'll see WW is putting out a quality AR, for a few hundred less.

One bonus is that the WW uses a 1/9 twist barrel. So if you're going to be shooting the inexpensive 55 gr. FMJ type ammo (as the vast majority do), it will stablize that ammo type perfectly. If you plan on shooting heavier grain ammo, the 1/7 of the Colt might work a bit better.

Still, a few hundred dollars will buy you ammo and mags, so definitely consider the WW.

Notice that the S&W M&P gets a nod? A few years back everyone was hacking on them as not being good enough, not as good as a Colt, just as they are currently doing with WW. Now folks understand that there's a little concept called "value for the dollar", and from what I've read in the specs, WWs represent an excellent value. And WWs appear to be built better, with better materials, than the S&Ws.

Last edited by M&P15T; 10-14-2012 at 03:40..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:48   #9
mixflip

WW is a decent gun I am sure but how does a new company buy 40 years of R&D proven in combat? The answer is... you cant buy what Colt has earned.

That doesnt mean Colt is "THE BEST". It just means Colts have a pedigree that money cant buy. That means something to some and absolutely nothing to others.

I am a veteran so I have a slight bias and soft spot for the old Colt. To me its an old friend and that is worth something to me personally. Ad in all the features and specs I like and its a no brainer.

Last edited by mixflip; 10-14-2012 at 03:50..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:10   #10
superdoc

Colt for the WIN! if nothing else, better resale
superdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:34   #11
Walk Soft

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1442531
I ended up going with the Colt,not just based on the replies, but because it is kind of the quintessential AR.
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:58   #12
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1442531
I ended up going with the Colt,not just based on the replies, but because it is kind of the quintessential AR.

You made the right choice.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:16   #13
dotsun
conf t

I went with the Colt over a lot of other choices not just for the quality, but also potential resale value. Which one will be worth more in 30 years?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:42   #14
supatrucka

I bought the Windham simply because i wanted to support the people in maine. I don't need to spend lots of money on an AR just to go to my range. I don't plan on selling it and it's been going bang for over 4000 rds. I like to support small business over the big guys.
Ruger MK 2 slab
Couple AR's
supatrucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:44   #15
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

This isn't even a question.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 17:40   #16
boomhower

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want to punch holes in paper at the range you can save money on the Windham and buy some ammo and mags. If you want it to be a HD or SHTF weapon where you want supreme reliability get the Colt. The Colt is the superior gun. I haven't heard a lot about Windham one way or the other but the Colt is a proven reliable gun.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 22:47   #17
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Don't get freaked out by the Colt Fan boys. Look at the specs. Learn what the material and manufacturing specifications mean, and you'll see WW is putting out a quality AR, for a few hundred less.

One bonus is that the WW uses a 1/9 twist barrel. So if you're going to be shooting the inexpensive 55 gr. FMJ type ammo (as the vast majority do), it will stablize that ammo type perfectly. If you plan on shooting heavier grain ammo, the 1/7 of the Colt might work a bit better.

Still, a few hundred dollars will buy you ammo and mags, so definitely consider the WW.

Notice that the S&W M&P gets a nod? A few years back everyone was hacking on them as not being good enough, not as good as a Colt, just as they are currently doing with WW. Now folks understand that there's a little concept called "value for the dollar", and from what I've read in the specs, WWs represent an excellent value. And WWs appear to be built better, with better materials, than the S&Ws.
While I'll admit I'm partial to Colt, It's only so because they have set a benchmark for the minimum acceptable level of quality to be expected in a AR style rifle that's going to see continuous hard use. What's more is you can count on that quality when you open the box every time.

In other words, they deliver quality and do so consistently.

Now with all that said, I agree with your post. There are many manufactures that produce quality AR style rifles and shouldn't be over looked just because they don't have a pony on the gun.

Milspec is just that. Milspec. It's a standard. It's an important standard but it doesn't mean that there isn't better either. Depending on how the rifle is going to be used, that spec may not matter to some shooters. It's a great starting point to establish a minimum level of quality as I pointed out above, but isn't the do all end all, and certainly isn't everything that some people make it out to be.

Now the question comes up alot to the order of if a gun doesn't conform to the Milspec requirements, is it still a quality gun?

That depends. There are several manufactures that build their guns to what would be considered to be below Milspec and those that build their guns to what would be considered to be above it respectively.

Some are good and some are bad. It just depends and any of them can and will make a dud sometimes (Yes, including Colt!)

I think the reason alot of people flock to the Colt (Internet hype not withstanding) is because of it's track record and it's ability to deliver consistent quality through the years when some other manufactures cut corners, Colt kept on building the same quality rifle.

I do wonder though what Colt's rifles would be like if they didn't have the military contract? Would they be as bad as some of the not so good AR's that are on the market or would they still be producing the quality guns that they currently make?

Most firearms manufactures that produce AR style rifles make a good gun. There are a few that I can count on one hand that I would stay away from and there are a few that I can could on one hand that are above the rest.

The price difference between them can be staggering as well as the quality. Most of the guns out there will serve the buyer well as most people aren't going into battle with there rifle and for all practical purposes, their non-Colt rifle can probably stand up to more than they can and still continue to function when they quit.

As for me, if I had to choose from the wide array of riles that I was most likely to find at the gun store and was told that I could have only one AR and I had to trust my life to it, I'd pick the Colt every time.

But that's just me.

Old 10-15-2012, 00:38   #18
skeeter1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post

Most sensible post yet.

I have a WW and a S&W. The WW fit and finish is better than the M&P-15. The trigger that came with the M&P was so bad I switched it out with a Timney. The WW trigger, while not a Timney is good enough not to bother switching to a Timney. Plus the WW has the lifetime warranty.

Both guns have never failed and are accurate. IMO, Colt is not the holy grail.
skeeter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:01   #19
mixflip

Between just those 2?

Just buy the one that has the roll mark you like better. They are probably identical on paper as far as quality and features go.

The only real significant difference will probably resale value. A non issue if you never sell it.

Last edited by mixflip; 10-15-2012 at 01:02..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:44   #20
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter1959 View Post
Most sensible post yet.

I have a WW and a S&W. The WW fit and finish is better than the M&P-15. The trigger that came with the M&P was so bad I switched it out with a Timney. The WW trigger, while not a Timney is good enough not to bother switching to a Timney. Plus the WW has the lifetime warranty.

Both guns have never failed and are accurate. IMO, Colt is not the holy grail.
Most sensible? Why, because it reinforces your purchase decisions? Colt may not be the "holy grail" but it's been the standard by which all others are judged for a long, long time, and that's a fact. This thread is evidence in and of itself. That's not a knock on other brands. Fwiw, I don't currently own a Colt.

BTW, saying both of your guns have never failed is pointless without a frame of reference (round count, environment, cleaning/lubricating routine).

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote